Teaching is turning me into a feeble wreck

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
After posting a video of myself last week doing really awfully exeuted techniques, I was determined to try and jump back into training some more and and get some practice in.

So last night was sparring night - ugh :mad:

Rather than stand at the side dolling out advice and shouting 'GET YOUR GUARD UP!' to all the new people, I thought I'd dig my pads out and join in.

Now, I used to be really good at sparring, maybe the 3rd best at the club, and I could get plenty of shots in one the people I was fighting. With 8 months having gone by with me basically just teaching and getting no actual practice in, I was struggling against even the enthusuastic lower belts! I felt really slow, un-coordinated and not in control of the fight, as I used to feel.

I wouldn't call myself a selfish person, but my own skill level is suffering terribly at the expense of me devoting all my time to improving everyone else, and I'm starting to get a teeny little bit resentful...

I know that teaching is supposed to give you new insight blah blah blah and to a degree it does, but I don't feel that's a good substitue for good, sweaty, hard practice with the senior belts, which is what I used to do all the time. Now, I feel like I can remember the notes to the song, but I can't make a tune out of them anymore.

How do those of you that instruct keep on your toes? Do you train in your own personal time outside of classes, or join in classes more than I do? I find I can't really join in with the class, because as soon as I start to do anything I'm called away with a question, or to demontrate something, or explain something...

Am I just a bad person for not finding self-sacrifice more rewarding?

Part of the problem could be that I've had no thanks for what I'm doing from the person I'm doing it for, which makes me feel un-appreciated. Some of the students have come up to me and said that they prefer my lessons to the old ones, and feel that they get a lot more attention, which has made me feel great. I shouldn't need an ego-boost like that to feel committed though, should I?

Sorry for ranting, this post is a bit pointless I know, had to get this off my chest though...

Ian.

D

Disco

This may sound trite, but your thanks will come from the satisfaction of watching your students progress.

As for your skills level. Yeah, it will suffer, unless you make an effort to go beyond your normal schedule. It's hard I know, but you have to find the time to work on you. One thing that I do during kicking drills (across the room), is actually go first. This way I show them what I want and I get the workout also. I always try to include myself during the entire class, with the exception of sparring. Blocking drills, I find a partner or alternate with somebody while still keeping one eye so to speak on the students. Getting involved in the class also serves as an incentive to the students to try harder. I tell them, "Hey, If I can do it anybody can do it". Hope this was of some help.
:asian:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My aikido sensei gets in on as much of the work out as possible. When a technique is demonstrated he demonstrates it, when we do an attack line he is first in line to be attacked, randori and kumite are the same way. He gets in there and sweats with the rest of us. Granted we do attack lines almost nightly and kumite fairly often and that may be a bit different than the way your school is run... but get in the tech lines as often as you can, it will help keep muscle memory fresh.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ian,
If your teaching all the time it will be difficult to get some quality time for yourself. Sounds like your going through what most have. Truth is you do need time for yourself. How many days do you teach, and can you make yourself available to your instructor?

Rewards will come from teaching, but you'll need to fill your gas tank too! My instructor trains once a week with his teacher. He also does some bjj and works the sticks with another instructor. All this is on his time. He has to make the time. Do you have any higher ranks that could be trusted to run the school for a couple hours one night a week?

don

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your profile says that your not even a black belt: but yet you've quit training? That's a shame. Because I'm sure your goal when you started martial arts training was not to get to the point where you just taught and never trained. I don't know what the problem is with your instructor is, but I'm sure the majority of instructors would never let a brown belt only teach, and not train. The transitional period from brown to black is one of the most dynamic periods of your training.

Remember, you can quit training for a week or two, and nobody will notice.
You quit training for a month or two and your students will notice.
You quit training for six months or more, everybody will notice.

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
satans.barbe: you owe it to your students to make sure you keep yourself training as a student/competetor, once you stop training, trying to improve your abilitys you cut down on trying to improve martial arts, now that you've got whipped sparring you should be motivated to improve, and then to find better ways to do things, and that desire is what makes a great instructor, and not someone just making money, or building an ego. you owe it to yourself to give your self at least a couple of hours a week to train. in security theres a saying, you must protect yourself first, if your out of action you can't protect anyone else.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you definately need to put aside time that is your time.
I go to the gym early in the morning for a good hard workout and i also train outside of my own dojo! when in my dojo, time is spend teaching, signing people up, making phone calls, (chatting on martial talk!)etc..
i train with another school owner on the weekends and sometimes during the week. it is our time to train, exchange ideas, etc...
sometimes it can be tough to balance it all!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
SB- I was having the same problem. I found that I slowly started doing more and more teaching, and less and less learning/training of my own. This can definately lead to getting discouraged! Fortunately, I was able to supplement this by training outside of the school, on my own, with the other people that I work out with. Granted, we weren't doing Kenpo, but at least I was doing something!

Teching is not a bad thing though, because it still gives you the chance to go over your material, but its still different, due to the fact that you still need to get in time to work on your own material that you need for your current rank.

Mike

P

pineapple head

Originally posted by John Bishop
Remember, you can quit training for a week or two, and nobody will notice.
You quit training for a month or two and your students will notice.
You quit training for six months or more, everybody will notice.

Guess im in trouble then, cannot find the motivation to get back training....HELP...I need the kenpo doctor.:confused:

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by satans.barber

Rather than stand at the side dolling out advice and shouting 'GET YOUR GUARD UP!' to all the new people, I thought I'd dig my pads out and join in.

That is what you should have been doing all along, as long as you know that everyone is adult enough to handle themselves properly and not try to hurt each other if you aren't sitting there staring at them.

Now, I used to be really good at sparring, maybe the 3rd best at the club, and I could get plenty of shots in one the people I was fighting. With 8 months having gone by with me basically just teaching and getting no actual practice in, I was struggling against even the enthusuastic lower belts! I felt really slow, un-coordinated and not in control of the fight, as I used to feel.

Yep

I know that teaching is supposed to give you new insight blah blah blah and to a degree it does, but I don't feel that's a good substitue for good, sweaty, hard practice with the senior belts, which is what I used to do all the time. Now, I feel like I can remember the notes to the song, but I can't make a tune out of them anymore.

Why aren't you working out while you teach? Why can't you do the calisthenics with the class? And the basics? And the techs and forms? I know, from my experience with teaching kids, that IF you workout with them and do what you are telling them to do then you will see results from them. They will see that someone CAN do these things and they will try to keep up with you or even try to compete with you. Why wouldn't adults be the same?
It follows the phrase "Lead by example....follow by choice". As human beings we are ALL Skeptical and untrusting. WHY should we sit her and do all of this stuff while this guy is standing up there harping on us? A question that I have thought about over and over. So when you do all of the stuff that you are making them do you are proving to them it can be done, and YOU are also getting your workout.
And if you think you can't learn things from lower belts you are sorely mistaken. That is the level where you learn the most about "Unintentional Moves". It is like they say...NEVER underestimate your opponent.

How do those of you that instruct keep on your toes? Do you train in your own personal time outside of classes, or join in classes more than I do? I find I can't really join in with the class, because as soon as I start to do anything I'm called away with a question, or to demontrate something, or explain something...

During my personal time I go over my forms and techs (air kenpo) by myself to make sure I have the motion down and understand what is going on. But I use the class time to go over whatever we go over in class, which is basically everything else.

Part of the problem could be that I've had no thanks for what I'm doing from the person I'm doing it for, which makes me feel un-appreciated. Some of the students have come up to me and said that they prefer my lessons to the old ones, and feel that they get a lot more attention, which has made me feel great. I shouldn't need an ego-boost like that to feel committed though, should I?

NO! You should be doing that because you WANT to do it. And realize that YOU are learning something and getting something back everytime someone asks you a question and you have to THINK about how to explain something to them in a different way than you have had to explain it before. Teaching is still Learning...but more on a mental level, HOWEVER it still can be physical.

Your whole experience is what you make of it. IF you want to stand/sit at the front of the class and tell them how to do the stuff it is your choice.
IF you want to be there, workout, learn something new, enjoy yourself and allow others to do the same, and do a little teaching while you have the chance...that is also your choice.

I personally choose the latter.

:asian:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are these YOUR students? Are they paying you to teach?

In the past I have fallen into the place you are at now... it is an awful place. How can we be instructors when we are slowly becomming less and less capable of even doing the art? YOU MUST MAKE TIME TO TRAIN. Otherwise you aren't a good instructor, if your ability isn't progressing how can you help others to progress? If you have no drive and ambition to better yourself how can you expect and bring that out in others?

I found when I wasn't training (just teaching) my classes were drab and lifeless. As long as I'm training I seem to get so much more out of my students and they get so much more out of me and their training.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help and ideas everybody, it sounds as though I just need to join in more.

I do find this hard, because I aren't giving the class my undivided attention. If we're in pairs, then my attention is all on my partner. if we're in a line-up, my attention is usually on what I did wrong in my last turn, and I usually can't see what people are doing at teh front of the line too well, it's just hard. I can't pick up on people's mistakes if I can't see them after all! :(

Anyways, I'll just have to get stuck in a bit more, and encourage people to shout me over if they need me, rather than me going to them all the time.

I don't want to be like the old instructor though, where people only saw him once or twice in a class. That's what people like more about my lessons, the fact that they see me all the time. But, this style of teaching is damaging my enthusiasm, and therefore the quality of the lessons, which is a vicious circle.

Mr Bishop - I have my black belt grading in 6 weeks or so, I haven't actually stopped training by choice, it's just that the teaching has taken over.

Thanks again for all your input,

Ian.

p.s. I'm not being paid a single penny to teach, no, but that's not where the problem lies currently...

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ian:
No reflection on you, and I don't know your instructor or his reputation. But, I just don't understand his teaching philosophy. You say you haven't trained for 8 months, yet he's testing you for black belt in six weeks? I don't know how kenpo is done in the United Kingdom, but here there's somethng wrong with that method of teaching.
Being in Southern California I've had the pleasure to be around many senior Kenpo and Kajukenbo instructors, including SGM Parker. I've sat on many Kenpo black belt testing boards, and one thing has been always evident. The person testing, with very few exceptions, was performing at the very best physical and mental level of his life.
As I said, this is no personal attack on you. It is a instructors duty to guide his/her students, and inspire them to work toward excellance, both physically and mentally. Your instructor seems to have shirked this responsibility.
From reading some of your posts I can see that you have the right attitude to become a good instructor. But remember, important lessons are taught by example. Most of our systems train to improve the "body, mind, and spirit". Neglecting any one of these areas weakens the other two.
I wish you luck, and remember the reason you started. As someone once said "to thine self be true".

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My 'instructor' isn't taking me for black belt, I don't really have an instructor at the moment. Several months ago he said that he had to have 18 months off, and either the club was to close immediately, or me and 2 others were to run it (also effective immediately) - so we chose to run it.

The guy who's grading us lives a long way away, he's the head of the organisation but we never see him (it'll be about 2 years since we've seen him when he comes up in September). My absent 'instructor' won't be present at the grading.

Blind leading the blind really.

Ian.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by satans.barber
After posting a video of myself last week doing really awfully exeuted techniques, I was determined to try and jump back into training some more and and get some practice in.

So last night was sparring night - ugh :mad:

I wouldn't call myself a selfish person, but my own skill level is suffering terribly at the expense of me devoting all my time to improving everyone else, and I'm starting to get a teeny little bit resentful...

Am I just a bad person for not finding self-sacrifice more rewarding?

Sorry for ranting, this post is a bit pointless I know, had to get this off my chest though...

Ian.

No worries. Make it "Tea time," or hit the local pub, and take a break!:drinkbeer

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... I remember you bringing that up on the board, when you and your friends were deciding whether to close the doors or not. Glad you stayed open. Good luck on your test.

Mr. Bishop is right in a lot of ways ... Black is a huge step for some, for others it is an inch across the line. You have had the teaching experience and running a school experience frequently many young Black Belts don't get. This should serve you .... however, and there is alway a however, you HAVE to be ready for Black. It sounds like you are uncertain about your readiness, and you are having someone come in just to grade you. Do you study with him (not if you have not seen him in 2 years), does his opinion matter to you? (hopefully it does), will credentials from him mean anything to you? To your students? etc.

You have to work on your Kenpo or the life goes out of it. Teaching is wonderful, but it is easy to get stagnant and to lose the inspiration, when you are doing the same charts over and over, day after day, with nobody helping you raise the bar for yourself.

It sounds like you need to hook up with Mr. Downey in Ireland or Patrick Pace in England and get some mat time in for you. It makes us feel better about how we are doing our Kenpo, and our student's feel better about their teacher's qualifications. Seminars and Camps are another way of "finding" new material you can bring home and practice.

You don't have time to do this now ... so go for it and do your best! But look for a teacher as soon as you can, I would not wait around for your old one to come back, it sounds like you are frustrated and verging on being burned out.

Keep the Faith,
-MB

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
for us, 1st degree blackbelt is the most physically demanding test that you take. higher levels get more into application, extensions, etc...
you have to be in top shape for the blackbelt test!
go for it!!

OP
satans.barber

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been a 1st Kyu Brown Belt now for over three years, so if I'm not ready to test for black now I never will be!

It's been postponed so many times now that it's just become a joke!

Does a BB mean anything to me anymore? No, not really if I'm honest. I'm about people now, not coloured belts.

Why do I want it? I think that some of the students may respect me more as an instructor if they see some black on my waist - certainly the parents of the juniors don't seem to take me seriously as they don't think I'm a senior.

Do I train with Mr. Cawood? Nope, as I said I've not seen him for two years!!

Does his opinion matter to me? Yes, I have a lot of respect for Mr. Cawood's skill, he's an incredible martial artist and so him judging me to be of a certina level means a lot. That doesn't necessarily mean that his attitude hasn't annoyed me in the past (we lost a lot of members from our already small club when he failed the ENTIRE school at a grading because, basically, he was in a bad mood), or the level of support he offers us a satellite club in his organisation (2 years...) etc..

Am I fit enough to do it? Probably not no!

It's not too practical for me to go anywhere else to train though, so I'm resolute to improving the club where I am instead. I have a lot of other problems and things going on in my life at the moment as well which is making this whole thing seem worse (I'm lonely, I've got no job, I'm poorly...I'm not going to go on about any of these things here as it's meant to be a MA board, not the Samaritans).

If I fail it then I fail it, it won't be for a lack of 110% effort!

Thankyou for your support Mr. Billings,

Ian.

K

Kenpomachine

Ian, I think the videos are a good idea. This way you can see yourself and also practice with someone.

Try also to train with the other two brown belts who are running the school now with you (?). This way, you'll all can get some practice and feedback at the same time. You can meet for half an hour or even half that time after every class if you don't have much time.

And try to be positive. Being unemployed is hard, but it doesn't last forever. Good luck in your search and your journey.

Lucía