Teaching Challengers

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In stead of light contact sparring, you can have 2 options:

1. Full powerful punch on your opponent's shoulder.
2. Full powerful punch next to your opponent's face (into the thin air).

IMO, 1 > 2

Even in wrestling, we still train full powerful striking on opponent's arms. This way, people will not ignore the striking.
Neither of those change that someone who decides to jump from light sparring (or either of these versions) to knock-down has an immediate (and brief) advantage, because they know they can just wade through what you're doing.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Neither of those change that someone who decides to jump from light sparring (or either of these versions) to knock-down has an immediate (and brief) advantage, because they know they can just wade through what you're doing.
I don't like the idea of intentionally hitting the shoulder. You mimic perform you practice.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of intentionally hitting the shoulder. You mimic perform you practice.
I've used it some. It's useful for working with students who have poor control, or who are new to a specific tactic. Have to use it sparingly, though, because it can create bad habits on both sides. There's really no need to defend a shoulder much, so it doesn't really mimic defending the head. In fact, even if you do defend it well, it's not much like defending the head and usually causes you to leave the head more open in the middle. And, of course, you can hit the front shoulder from further away, and with different openings than the head.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've used it some. It's useful for working with students who have poor control, or who are new to a specific tactic. Have to use it sparingly, though, because it can create bad habits on both sides. There's really no need to defend a shoulder much, so it doesn't really mimic defending the head. In fact, even if you do defend it well, it's not much like defending the head and usually causes you to leave the head more open in the middle. And, of course, you can hit the front shoulder from further away, and with different openings than the head.
If my extend fist is in front of your face, the moment that I detect that you start a right punch, the moment that I punch (put push) your right shoulder back, your right punch will never be able to generate power and speed.

Latest Discussions