Tea

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
finally made it to the tea shop in town. I didn't buy anything they were too confusing. They make their own blends in house there and it all had different names and fruits and other blends.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
finally made it to the tea shop in town. I didn't buy anything they were too confusing. They make their own blends in house there and it all had different names and fruits and other blends.

Start with a simple green tea or Black/red tea or Oolong or possibly white tea, don't let all of this overwhelm you. I drink hardly any of the herbal infusion teas. The cloest I get is Earl Grey or Jasmine.

Green tea I tend towards Sencha, Gun Powder or Genmaicha (Genmaicha has brown rice in it)
Black tea to try: I tend to drink Ceylon, Darjeeling, Assam, Earl Grey Note another black tea you see out there is Lapsang souchong (aka Caravan tea) it has a rather smoky taste
Oolong tea
White Tea

Just start with a basic tea and don't get overwhelmed by the variety and the tea "experts". Once you get an idea of what those taste like then start going for the herbal stuff that "you" think sounds good, not what anyone else thinks sounds good. I have had several people tell me how GREAT chamomile Tea is and how surprised they are that I don't drink it and then they try to get me to try it again. Frankly the stuff tastes like socks to me so I don't drink it

My wife's family in China thinks that we take this whole tea thing to seriously....just throw some leave in hot water and drink it. Or my sister-in-laws view: She does not know why Americans are so tea crazy since none of them have any idea what good tea is in the first place ... Or maybe that is just my sister-in-laws way to give me a jab :D

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just grab whatever catches your interest. Then give a quick review here. It's not like you are buying a house.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just grab whatever catches your interest. Then give a quick review here. It's not like you are buying a house.

True I was just trying to find some of the above selections and was having trouble. I did try a blueberry/black tea and a mint vanilla green they were both good

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
nice. my wife makes ice cream and creme brûlée with teas, pretty good stuff

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had my first cup this morning. It was good. A little on the light side. Maybe I didn't use enough tea or the water wasn't hot enough or something but it was good. Had a hint of the berry flavor and I didn't add any sugar or anything but it had a slight sweetness to it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Had my first cup this morning. It was good. A little on the light side. Maybe I didn't use enough tea or the water wasn't hot enough or something but it was good. Had a hint of the berry flavor and I didn't add any sugar or anything but it had a slight sweetness to it.

You can also let it steep longer, how long did you let it steep?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which Keurig model? Mine maxes out at 192F temp wise.

I'd go with 2 teaspoons next time, see if that boosts the flavor a bit. Also, make sure your using a real teaspoon measure, not the spoon you stir your tea with. :D
I actually have a teaspoon and tablespoon measure right by my machine for accuracy. Well, that's the intent. I tend to go heaping regardless, LOL!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Boil water in a real live tea kettle, grab some tea in your fingers, throw it in a cup, pour on boiling water.......drink

The tea lady said not to boil the water for green tea? She said 170 degrees max. She also said don't let it sit for more then 3 minutes too so.......

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
More tea hotter water great taste

That's great! I think the key is to experiment and find what you like. I've been going through that process with coffee over the last couple years since I started drinking coffee. I think I've finally nailed down a method with the French press that appeals to me most.

Latest Discussions