Tatoos

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cory, is that a left inner forearm tattoo?

Looks good. I want to get my phoenix in red as well. Do you have any info on how well the red will continue to hold up, how often it needs retouched, etc.?

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never gotten a tattoo before, but I'm thinking about getting the Kenpo Crest of my school's association on my right shoulder blade (last year I contemplated getting the universal symbol on my left arm, but decided not to). I'm going to get recommendations of good tattoo places from guys at work & will make some calls this week to get info. Because of the detail, I'm told that it may take 3-4 hrs to do, but I don't care. I can always use a vacation day for that. How much do y'all think it would cost? $150-$200?

Attachments

• $AKTScrest.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 221

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Cory, is that a left inner forearm tattoo?

Looks good. I want to get my phoenix in red as well. Do you have any info on how well the red will continue to hold up, how often it needs retouched, etc.?

Yeah, thats exactly where its at, my inner left forearm :) Well, from what the artist told me with these new inks they use now theyre pretty much guaranteed to never fade and if it ever does he'll go back over it. Unless you spend a lot of time in the sun thatll make it fade pretty bad over time then if you want to keep it looking vibrant you might have to touch it up every 5 years or so.

kenpo_disciple

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
I've never gotten a tattoo before, but I'm thinking about getting the Kenpo Crest of my school's association on my right shoulder blade (last year I contemplated getting the universal symbol on my left arm, but decided not to). I'm going to get recommendations of good tattoo places from guys at work & will make some calls this week to get info. Because of the detail, I'm told that it may take 3-4 hrs to do, but I don't care. I can always use a vacation day for that. How much do y'all think it would cost? $150-$200?

most places charge $100 an hour

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo_disciple said:
most places charge $100 an hour
Yep - I found that out last night when I visited a few. They ranged from $100-$150/hr. According to them it will take about 2 hrs ($200) without the kanji (or they said they can do the kanji on the outside of the crest with larger characters so that they won't bleed together over time).

Time to start saving my pennies....:)

K

Kempogeek

Gin-Gin said:
Yep - I found that out last night when I visited a few. They ranged from $100-$150/hr. According to them it will take about 2 hrs ($200) without the kanji (or they said they can do the kanji on the outside of the crest with larger characters so that they won't bleed together over time).

Time to start saving my pennies....:)
Gin that would make one great tattoo. Whatever it costs, I believe it would be money well spent. I never gotten a tattoo as well but always wanted to get one. I have a pin that has the British flag with "The Beatles" logo in the middle. With all the coloring of the flag and all, Im sure it would cost me a pretty penny as well. Not only wil I have to start saving my pennies but also work up the nerve. :cool:.......Steve

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess it depends on where you go, i paid 150 for my dragon which covers most of my forearm and it took him 2 hours.

A

autumn1973

Wow, My tattoo took about 3 hours and he only charged me $100.

However, my sister and her boyfriend went to FL a few months back though and I was surprised at the rather simple tattoo he paid $125 for. I guess it may depend on where you live- I got my tattoo in Southern NH.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
autumn1973 said:
... I got my tattoo in Southern NH.
Where in NH? I live just south of Hollis, and am looking for a good tattoo artist.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a goot tat place in the DC area?

A

autumn1973

Mark, I got mine in Winchester NH at Secret Lake Tattoos. The guy that did mine is fairly new to the business but he's good at complicated tats with lots of details. Mine is pretty detailed and has about 5 different colors on it. I think his name was Jesse.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't remember if I weighed in on this thread or not... My avatar is a pic of the outside of my elbow. The dragon is part of a Japanese-themed sleeve.

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a "Om" Tattoo on my right right shoulder I got it when I was a teenager in high school with some of my close mate's at the time.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Two upcoming projects are a forearm sleeve of Binary digits, in all black, and the Kanji for "Ninja" under my right eye... in blacklight ink, so you can only see it if I am in a blacklight.

So, yes, I am being lame and quoting myself... but...

I started my forearm sleeve tonite. I decided instead of the Binary, I was going to do the Kanji for the Bujinkan schools in columns around my forearm. So tonite I got the first Column as a Birthday gift from my nephew. (the tattoo artist at my brother-in-laws shop) I need to schedule to go and get more. My original plan was to go all black down there, so you could only see skin between the Numbers, but with the kanji that might be too much open space... I'll see when its done. If it is, I will have to come up with something for the spaces... I'll get a pic and post it later tonite

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have one tat right now... I got it about 5-years ago...

A large group of people from my volunteer Fire Department decided to get tats while attending the annual convention... most in memory of those lost on 9-11...

The tattoo on my right shoulder is a Yin-Yang made up of an American Bald Eagle and an American Flag... above is FDNY * NYDP... and below is 11-Sept-01...

I plan on continuing this piece with a mourning band for the Port Authority (PANY) Officers and the one PANY K-9 that also perished...

More ink in the works... one for my three step-daughters and six grandkids... one for the Mrs... then the rest are for ME! hehehe

I'll try to post a picture of the one later...

Regards,

Andy

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a skeleton wearing Marine Corps dress blues doing a sword salute. I also have a bulldog with the words semper fi underneath it.

Followed by tribal on my back.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've 2.
Lum from Urusei Yatsura, and a personalized version of Kali.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The tattoo on my right shoulder is a Yin-Yang made up of an American Bald Eagle and an American Flag... above is FDNY * NYDP... and below is 11-Sept-01...
This sounds cool, I'd like to see it.
My tattoo artist did a memorial backpiece for a local firefighter who lost a relative (also a firefighter) on 9/11. It's a firefighter in full turn-out gear, with the burning Towers reflected in the glass of his mask.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
This sounds cool, I'd like to see it.
My tattoo artist did a memorial backpiece for a local firefighter who lost a relative (also a firefighter) on 9/11. It's a firefighter in full turn-out gear, with the burning Towers reflected in the glass of his mask.

That would be too cool. I would love to see that one. As for me and ink - nope, too big of a chicken! I will admit it to anyone when it comes to anything involving needles and me.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is the slightly blurry and oh so gooey pic of the first row of kanji.

tattoosmall.jpg