Tatoos

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
The caption would read, "I told you to help prevent forest fires!! Now Smokey's gonna f#@k you up!"

Great tatt!
:roflmao:
And yes, that would be a cool tattoo. :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
What is the ballpark price for touchups, or are they free depending on the tatt?
The place I got mine done will retouch them for free pretty much forever provding you dont mess it up yourself... (ie get a cut across it or let it sunbleach)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
don't want any color to your phoenix?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do y'all like the first design, the second, or neither?

Yes, I like the phoenix. It represents, for me, a spirit that refuses to be extinguished. It is also the symbol for my martial arts system, representing the rising and advancing of the spirit.

No, I want color. I want it red with black trim. These were just two images I found online.

On the first one, I was thinking of some modifications. I was thinking that a yin-yang could be below the phoenix. The yang would be on the right-hand side with the larger end toward the bottom. The tail of it would taper up as usual but be blended seamlessly into the phoenix as shown.

The color scheme would be black for the yang but blending into a deep red as the tail of the yang fades into the phoenix.

The yin wouldn't be entirely outlined on the outside but only suggested by a line of the phoenix arcing partway along the outside border of the yin. It would still have the interior dot on the upper section underneath the phoenix.

Does that makes sense? If so, does it seem like a good design?

I've received mixed reaction on whether or not the kanji should be on the design at all. Some think it's "too much", particularly if I add on the yin-yang. Others like it. What do you think?

Of course, if I keep the kanji I'll have to get some different script. I want mine to read, "Hey, this chicken's on fire!"

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre ~ I like the first one. The second one is cool too except I think the tribal style is a trend on the way out. No offense to anyone with tribal tattoos, I like them and think they're cool looking, just depends on if you care it might be considered trendy at some point in the future.

I agree about the kanji and yin yang. I would do one or the other but not both. Or possibly a very small kanji, less dominant than the one in the picture if you decide to add the yin yang. Otherwise it looks fine the size in the photo, but I'd go less bold and blocky and with more of a finer calligraphy look.

I like your idea of the yin yang and the way it would blend into the phoenix. It sounds like a great design. If it's not centered, but off to the right, you could balance it with a small kanji at the upper left of the tattoo. I'd have to see what it looked like before saying for sure. It could still end up looking like too much or just not right with both.

skyguy

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a large chinese dragon that covers my entire right upper arm and shoulder. I have another smaller chinese dragon on my left arm.
I was born in the year of the dragon (1964) but I didnt know that till just a week ago :)

They symbolize nothing other than the fact that I like dragons.

My art is Japanese anyway :asian:

You cant see the whole thing here cuz of my small friend, but its the only picture I have right now.

chrisbenson.jpg

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice tat from what I can see. Cute dog too. Is it a JRT or JRT mix? I have two. I was born in the year of the dragon too and didn't know til just now!

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you should get a matching tattoo for your dog's right haunch. He'd love it. All the "bitches" would think he's so cool; a real rebel.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I myself have two tattoos one is THE BIG BAD WOLF on my left arm and my other tattoo is a panther going into my skin on my back. the one on my back hurt like you know what I guess because your back is so tender

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was feeling rather left out at a grappling tournament on Saturday...I was the only female competitor without a tattoo. I guess I was a non-conforming conformist in that crowd?:cool:;)

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Tell 'em you have a tattoo...just not somewhere that shows!

Nah...I kinda like the feeling of being a rebel!:ultracool (if you knew me, you'd know how funny the thought of me as rebel is:lol: - I'm the most conformingest conformist that has ever conformed!)

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a Samurai tat on my right shoulder and some various bits of tribal and a scorpion on my left shoulder and a black widow spider on my left rear shoulder blade.....I would like to turn 1/2 the tribal into a dragon..when i get the time

My wife has Ki in kanji and a rose with thorns that i designed it looks pretty cool.............

I used to have some tatoo pics and will post them if i can find them

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is my new dragon i just got in october. Nothing fancy but i like the look. The picture itself isnt that good though, i had to do some tweaking on it to get it to post. By the way, thanks Bob. I shouldve looked at the size restrictions huh? $mtdragon.JPG