Target Practice Chest Protector?

Dave_D

White Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a chest protector with added cushion for concentrated target practice?

I have a kicking shield and a traditional TKD chest protector but am looking for something that's sorta the best of both, so I can serve as human kicking target for a young (12 years old) student, particularly for TKD one-step self defense practice. This is my first student in two decades and I'm discovering my bones can't take an hour of unblocked kicks anymore, even with a chest protector. #agesucks

Any advice is appreciated.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a chest protector with added cushion for concentrated target practice?

I have a kicking shield and a traditional TKD chest protector but am looking for something that's sorta the best of both, so I can serve as human kicking target for a young (12 years old) student, particularly for TKD one-step self defense practice. This is my first student in two decades and I'm discovering my bones can't take an hour of unblocked kicks anymore, even with a chest protector. #agesucks

Welcome to the forum. Glad you dropped in.
You mention TKD so I assume you are using a WT type Hogu? Doing a quick google search for chest protectors mostly returns the undergarment used for contact sports like football, rugby, soccer, etc... However, I see no reason why you could not wear one under a Hogu if you need extra padding. They are very mobile and should work for a regular class. May be hot inside though. I have used several brands of Hogu and doubt there is little if any difference in padding between brands. I do think the foam styles like the old Macho brand do not provide the same padding as the vinyl covered kinds like Adidas and Nike.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Wear a 3 with a 4 over the top. We always wear 2 hogus for full contact drilling in class. Either that or turn down the power and turn the control up. Too many bad experiences.

Alternatively, if you are feeling rich, Mooto do a really high quality black coaches hogu. Costs about 200 though!

Mooto Training Body Protectors Chest Guards Thick Pads Vest Martial Arts MMA TKD | eBay

It is worth calling the mooto store near Kukkiwon. They are very friendly and helpful.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Have another student take the kicks!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don’t use any padding. Only 364 days until hockey tryouts. Gotta toughen up!
A9932527-45B0-4C69-BCAE-768D0892B372.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
D

Dave_D

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! All good ideas (with one exception :D). Oh, and I'm teaching just one student, so I'm sorta stuck taking the blows myself. I tried to get his sister involved but she's not interested. Not yet, anyways.

The Mooto body protector really fits the bill. Better still, the keywords "body protector" improved my search efforts. Here's some alternatives I found on Amazon:

TITLE Classic Body Protector

Contender Fight Sports Heavy Hitter Boxing Body Protector

Good stuff.

Thanks again!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! All good ideas (with one exception :D). Oh, and I'm teaching just one student, so I'm sorta stuck taking the blows myself. I tried to get his sister involved but she's not interested. Not yet, anyways.

The Mooto body protector really fits the bill. Better still, the keywords "body protector" improved my search efforts. Here's some alternatives I found on Amazon:

TITLE Classic Body Protector

Contender Fight Sports Heavy Hitter Boxing Body Protector

Good stuff.

Thanks again!
I’ve never used any of those. Title makes some very good stuff for the money, so I’d be all over that one if it was me. Judging by the price it’s not going to be professional quality, but their consumerish stuff is top notch. Far better than stuff like Everlast at the same price points.

OP
D

Dave_D

White Belt
Reaction score
Title makes some very good stuff for the money, so I’d be all over that one if it was me. Judging by the price it’s not going to be professional quality, but their consumerish stuff is top notch. Far better than stuff like Everlast at the same price points.

Good to know. I think that's what I'll do then.

Thanks a million!

Latest Discussions