Taoist Tai Chi versus Traditional Yang

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,
However, everyone can do the 10 essences irrespective of body shape or size and if you do the form incorporating the 10 essences, then you are doing the form as transmitted by YCF.

Which is what I meant when I said You have to maintain the basic principles, those being the 10 essences

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All good points, Xue Sheng, East Winds and Pete.

I'll study the 10 essences -- thanks for the links, Xue Sheng.

Pete, I agree with your interpretation, with an addition: In most TTCS classes that I have seen or heard about from other students, they are not trying to have it both ways, because they are not capable of doing so. In fact, unless an instructor has had direct experience with a teacher who has the skill (and permission) to innovate and give individually-tailored instruction, he/she is not aware such instruction ever existed. Any instruction given to a student is assumed to apply to the entire class.

East Winds, I agree with your assessment of the TTCS. I can't say when it came to that state, but I like to believe that at the very beginning in the 1970's, Mr. Moy's goal was as I stated. It's hard to say how much of his ideas remain with the TTCS, and how those ideas relate to its current policy. We may never know ... but it doesn't really matter to those of us outside the TTCS, I suppose. :)

Thanks, all.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmm. At least one of the 10 essentials was mentioned when I was with the TTCS. Here are the TTCS form principles, paraphrased, and to the best of my recollection:
- when in forward bow stance, align the straight back leg with the back, when viewed in profile
- step with feet straight, or at 45 degrees (when viewed from above)
- allow little or no space between the feet when viewed from the front ... the exception being those with a wide pelvis
- drop elbows and shoulders (that matches one of the Essentials)
- relax
- breathe naturally, with no specific in/out intention
- don't look down
- keep "tiger's mouth open": thumb and index finger at 90 degrees (approx.)
- after beginner level, rise and fall with the moves, "sitting" before stepping

Aside from that, the students are told how to do the choreography of the moves at an external level. If there's any internal instruction, it must be taught at the D'Arcy street location in Toronto, or taught by one of the "rebels" eventually tossed out of the TTCS.

There are also exercises (apart from the set) that came from other arts. It's my understanding that Mr. Moy felt that students could change their bodies with these exercises alone, but they would only stay if they were taught a set of moves. I'm speculating.