Tang soo Do - Hapkido question

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have gathered from different posts here. When I studied TKD our lowest forms were called H forms. I don't know it they aren't used any more or are taught under a different name.

At a guess, I'd say you're talking about the Kicho or Kibon forms (which essentially translates as 'basic forms'). There are six of them that we teach (along side the Palgwae forms) to all students. Poomsae are known to 'draw' things on the floor (for example, the pattern for Koryo translates as 'a man of learning') and all of those forms draw an "H" at least to English speakers.

I have Kimm He-Young's first book where he goes to great lengths to show how Hapkido goes back that far through the Hwa Rang knights of the Shilla dynasty. My GM told me all the old GMs knew Hapkido came from a Korean who came from Japan. To be able to tell people that makes me feel good that I know that much about my art, and don't have to make anything up.

Agreed. There are still people who try to claim TKD has a 200 year history. I have a hard time not rolling my eyes too obviously.

I can only go by what I find on line. At Hapkido - Wikipedia I found the following:

Seo Bok-Seob[edit]
Main article: Seo Bok-Seob
Choi's first student and the first person known to have opened up a dojang under Choi was Seo Bok-Seob (서복섭, also spelled Suh Bok-Sup).[3]

In 1948, when Seo Bok-sub was still in his early 20s, he had already earned his black belt in judo and was a graduate of Korea University. After watching Choi Yong-Sool successfully defend himself against a group of men when an argument erupted in the yard of the Seo Brewery Company, Seo who was son of the chairman of the company, invited Choi to begin teaching martial arts to him and some workers at the distillery where he had prepared a dojang.[20]

In 1951, Seo opened up the first proper dojang called the "Daehan Hapki Yukwonsool Dojang (대한합기유권술도장)". Seo also incorporated many of judo´s throws and ground work techniques to the teachings of master Choi. The first symbol for Hapkido was designed by Seo, which was used to denote the art was the inverted arrowhead design featured in both the modern incarnation of the KiDo Association and by Myung Kwang-Sik's World Hapkido Federation. Choi Yong-Sool was also employed during this time as a bodyguard to Seo's father who was a congressman. Seo and Choi agreed to shorten the name of the art from 'hapki yu kwon sool' to 'hapkido' in 1959.[21]

The site I referenced above gives short biographies of some other early Hapkido teachers, including Bong Soo Han. I cannot vouch for any of them, but they no doubt have some things right. But as you mentioned, all Korean arts have a tendency to exaggerate their history. And it is sad. If your art is good, what does age give it?

Interesting. I can only say there's no mention of this school in any of the histories of the unification or early days of TKD that I've read. I can ask my KJN if he remembers anything about this school, next time I see him. But given that he was a low-Dan rank at the time, and given how long it's been, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't, regardless of any invite that was or was not sent.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
At a guess, I'd say you're talking about the Kicho or Kibon forms (which essentially translates as 'basic forms'). There are six of them that we teach (along side the Palgwae forms) to all students. Poomsae are known to 'draw' things on the floor (for example, the pattern for Koryo translates as 'a man of learning') and all of those forms draw an "H" at least to English speakers.

Agreed. There are still people who try to claim TKD has a 200 year history. I have a hard time not rolling my eyes too obviously.

Interesting. I can only say there's no mention of this school in any of the histories of the unification or early days of TKD that I've read. I can ask my KJN if he remembers anything about this school, next time I see him. But given that he was a low-Dan rank at the time, and given how long it's been, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't, regardless of any invite that was or was not sent.

You may be correct, as that was why they were called H forms, the pattern shape they made.

If you do get a chance, it would be interesting to here what your KJN might recall.

Thanks for all the clarification.

Latest Discussions