Talyunbong and/or Powair water filled heavy bag

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Master Cole, did you ever find the link? The Powair bag sounds like just the thing I'm looking for.

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-liquishock-water-heavy-bag.html

Be careful, I would contact them and make sure that the bag you are getting has no foam. Most of the bags do have foam. Once we were sent the foam lined bags and sent them back, the feel was way off and no where near the strictly water to skin filled bag.

This bag will give you the same feel as the Powair bag, so the training on it is excellent. The thing is the durability is not the same as Powair, if have have hard striking fighters hitting it often, it will only last a few years at best. If it is just one person, it depends. If it's just in regular classes, it will likely last forever.

Of course, always consult your physician on any issues of physical exercise :)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Love the disclaimer Master Cole. We had one of those foam covered water core hanging bags back in the 90's, I didn't really care for it. I'm curious about the bag you linked above though.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Love the disclaimer Master Cole. We had one of those foam covered water core hanging bags back in the 90's, I didn't really care for it. I'm curious about the bag you linked above though.

It was Mike Tyson's main training bag. Here is a video of Tyson hitting the Powair bag for the Japanese media. When the angle of the camera is right, you can see the impact of his punch come out the other side of the back via the shock wave traveling through the water. Another thing about this video is that you can see how well the bag keeps it's shape, even though it is basically a big water balloon.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a talyunbong which GM Park said had too much resistance so I took it down. I have a diagram he drew up to mount it so that it has the right amount of resistance but need more carpentry skills to build the base.

No one has used the Powair bag? I'm curious about them, I've never used it either. At our dojang, we have a Century wavemaster on one mat and a hanging Everlast bag on another. Different drills for each.

Master Miles, here is one GM Park drew last time he was in Cleveland. He drew it really fast and detailed. He got really excited that I brought up the Talyunbong and gave me a 15 minute lesson, I'll also include a photo of him using me as his Talyunbong in the dojang office.

PARKHaeManandAlCole3.jpg
[/IMG]

PARKHaeManandAlCole5.jpg
[/IMG]

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Miles, here is one GM Park drew last time he was in Cleveland. He drew it really fast and detailed. He got really excited that I brought up the Talyunbong and gave me a 15 minute lesson, I'll also include a photo of him using me as his Talyunbong in the dojang office.

GM Park really is into it. He got all excited when I brought it up too, and spent a really long time going over how to make a makiwara, the purpose, how to strike it, etc. I think he feels that this type of training is fast becoming lost and forgotten, and therefore I think he enthusiastically shares what he knows to anyone that is interested. Personally, I think this type of training is considered by traditionalists as important or more important than kata training, in karate.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
GM Park really is into it. He got all excited when I brought it up too, and spent a really long time going over how to make a makiwara, the purpose, how to strike it, etc. I think he feels that this type of training is fast becoming lost and forgotten, and therefore I think he enthusiastically shares what he knows to anyone that is interested. Personally, I think this type of training is considered by traditionalists as important or more important than kata training, in karate.

Teaching is certainly his forte. We were in the Cleveland Museum of Art, walked into a special exhibit of posed warrior statues holding spears and various weapons. He started point out to me the positions and stances, demonstrating them and why, right there in the middle of this huge room on the marble and granite floor. I was watching him in amazement thinking he has so much knowledge, and here I am standing here and a man who helped craft our Poomsae is point out all these things to me. Amazing.

I think the talyunbong vanished from some groups because of variance in teaching, etc. Reason is, any mistake becomes a brutal punishment. No one wants to use it if they use it wrong. Those who used it correctly love it and continue for life.

Yes, I read somewhere from one of those big Karate seniors that with out makiwara training kata was just dance and there was no Karate.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a result of GM Cole's advice here, I got the water bag from Title in April and have been using it since (about 6 months so far). Mine has about 160# of water in it. It is now my favorite target for training. Hit it with speed and it is hard (firm)...the goal being to hit with shocking power rather than push. I have not trained with a makiwara/talyunbong, but an advantage of the bag is that I can use all manner of technique. At present I'm working on striking with power, and the water bag gives far better feedback and tool conditioning than foam. It's made a noticeable difference in the quality of my breaking technique too.

Carl

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a result of GM Cole's advice here, I got the water bag from Title in April and have been using it since (about 6 months so far). Mine has about 160# of water in it. It is now my favorite target for training. Hit it with speed and it is hard (firm)...the goal being to hit with shocking power rather than push. I have not trained with a makiwara/talyunbong, but an advantage of the bag is that I can use all manner of technique. At present I'm working on striking with power, and the water bag gives far better feedback and tool conditioning than foam. It's made a noticeable difference in the quality of my breaking technique too.

Carl

Was hoping someone would pull the trigger on it. Thanks for the input Carl.