Taking Inventory

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Once upon a time, in my murky past I was a store manager and as most managers know that mean periodic inventories. Some part of that practice is a way of keeping an eye on losses while another part has to do with spotting trends in how merchandise moves. Usually tracking ones curriculum and reviewing its content is a matter for teachers, but that doesn’t absolve the student from doing the same thing for themselves. Consider the concussive techniques in your catalog.

These striking and kicking techniques can be done with either side and perhaps the forward (lead) or rear (trailing) hand. The first question is, how many do you know and this is where the ego pops in and gets in the way. Lets ask, instead how many do you actually train with in your weekly classes. How many do you use in your one-steps and three-steps. How many do you use as pre-emptive strikes preparatory to executing a grappling technique?

How about the grappling techniques? Are you studying the material specific to your rank? “Well, of course”, you say. “How else am I going to pass my next test?” What about the material from the ranks previous? You know. The stuff you “already know”?
Do you know it off-the-grab as well as off-the-strike? Do you practice both left hand and right hand? With people both larger and smaller than yourself? Against multiple attackers both free style and in succession?

What about your weapons work? I know everybody has their favorite that we LOVE to play with. What about the others? Most people ignore the soh bong because they can do 85% of the same material with a dong bong. Is that how we learn---- ignore the “boring stuff”? And what if you DO ignore the soh bong and start with the dan bong? Do you practice only the strikes? Only the manipulations? Only the techniques you can see a purpose for? What about the cane? People LOVE THAT CANE. And I bet you probably know the standard five to ten techniques everybody does and maybe one or two extras that you have picked-up. What about the two-handed thrusting, two-handing blocking, parries, whips and clearings (fans?) ? Too Boring? Not worth your time? What about the sword? Now, I’m not talking about a Stainless steel wall-hanger you bought from IOU MA Supply that you posture with in front of the mirror. And I don’t mean banging on someone with a bamboo sword. We’re talking 7 basic full cuts, 7 snap-cuts, two coils, 6 basic parries, 12 stances and as many as 30 methods. We’re talking single and two-man forms and practice cutting various materials. What about the Korean staff (Chang Bong)? Do you study the cudgeol or the staff or the stick--- your choice?. Or do you make do with some Chinese or Japanese or Okinawan kata? Do you whack at someone else who also has a big stick or do you methodically practice 8 strikes followed by eight double-end (aka alternate end) strikes followed by 6 blocks followed by 6 parries. What about the knife. Offensive moves AND defensive?

Inventory is over. How did your books balance?

Best Wishes,

Bruce