Taking first promotion test!

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's official: I will be testing for 5th kyu this Saturday. I'm pretty confident about the techniques, but I'm still a bit nervous - because I haven't had *any* promotion tests since my TKD years as a teen.

And my right knee is still bothering me, though a hot pack and knee brace seem to be helping...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good Luck!! Though I'm sure you won't need it.

Jeff

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You'll do fine. You seem to have a good head for techniques, as some of those kata you demoed at the M&G were fairly complex (especially the 2-sword stuff).

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best of luck! Just remember to relax and breathe and you'll be better than great. Just finished my Ni-kyu test week before last and had a blast with it. Be sure to give us all the details afterwards.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
be confident and have fun durring the test.
If you go in tense you will have poblms so as the othes have said relax.
breath and let it flow

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point, it's not luck - trust your training, and remember that a good instructor (which it sounds like you have) will not let a student test unless s/he is capable of passing - which is not (or should not be) a guarantee - but why let you take the test if you can't pass it? Relax, breathe, and show off - testing is a time to prove you are the next rank, not to ask if you are the next rank.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I thought you must have been more advanced than that already! Good luck.

Actually, this is only my third month studying Aikido. I've been studying my primary art (YSKR) for almost two years, but there aren't any kyu ranks (just yudansha ranks) or promotion tests for that art.

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys and gals. If it's okay with my sensei, I'll post a clip of the test somewhere. Just not on YouTube. ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You'll do great, Jen! I'll be cheering for you! :) :) :)

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
"Do... or do not... there is no try!" - Yoda

Mushim, Jen! Mushim!

Go in there with an empty mind... and you'll DO!

In any event... you have your MT family pullin' for you... so, feel all of that good energy on Saturday!

Best Regards,

P.S. What time on Saturday? Want to send an extra jolt of good vibes up to you around test time.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably around noontime, after class. I'm surprised that Sensei hasn't given me a mock test yet. The last two girls who tested for 5th kyu got *several* mock tests two weeks before the test, up to the day before.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe he feels you don't need a mock test to prepare.

Jeff