Take-downs in Wing Chun

hkreporting

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this example of take-downs and close range WC fighting (3rd gate using chin-na, takedowns, elbows). I used to think take-downs were not WC, but borrowed from elsewhere, but take-downs can be traced directly to WC forms, e.g., Biu jee and especially the footwork in the dummy sections. This video is somewhat staged but gives an idea of what is possible.
This is Sifu Donald Mak from the Chow Tze-chuen line with his student in Italy. Sifu Chow (recently passed away) studied with Yip Man for six years and was known for his footwork and kicks ("Wong gerk" - king of kicks - if interested, see WC Kicking article in www.hongkongreporting.com).

OP
H

hkreporting

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this example of take-downs and close range WC fighting (3rd gate using chin-na, takedowns, elbows). I used to think take-downs were not WC, but borrowed from elsewhere, but take-downs can be traced directly to WC forms, e.g., Biu jee and especially the footwork in the dummy sections. This video is somewhat staged but gives an idea of what is possible.
This is Sifu Donald Mak from the Chow Tze-chuen line with his student in Italy. Sifu Chow (recently passed away) studied with Yip Man for six years and was known for his footwork and kicks ("Wong gerk" - king of kicks - if interested, see WC Kicking article in www.hongkongreporting.com).

Original link:

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score

It's a typical "I freeze and let you do your thing" demo. Not sure what this adds?

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The guy looks like he has great hands, and cool use of leg kicks. I saw a few foot sweeps in the video; I'm not sure I would call any of that "takedown" though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a typical "I freeze and let you do your thing" demo. Not sure what this adds?

Yeah. But you can do those takedowns. You just have to do them right.

So maybe it adds some inspiration.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. But you can do those takedowns. You just have to do them right.

So maybe it adds some inspiration.
This does show some promise. A bit of cross-training in something that has takedowns (to work on set-ups), and this instructor could easily make those functional.