Taijiquan reduces blood pressure better than aerobic exercise, study finds

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
A lady 91 has been coming to one my classes for the last two years. I mentioned lowered blood pressure as a benefit and the following week she started checking her results before and after classes. It works for sure, so much so that her doctors wanted to know exactly what it was she has started doing to create such a healthy blood pressure reading for her age. She happily told them and is a shining example of the benefits of taijiquan and qigong for health and longevity. Studies like these are very positive for practices like taijiquan, and healthy blood pressure is just one of the many benefits of continued practice.

Last edited:

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several years ago, I was wounded pretty bad and had to learn how to walk again. I healed quick and got back on my feet, but I still couldn’t do things well due to some nerve damage. A friend that I had met in a tournament before getting hurt saw me in the gym and after talking suggested Tai Chi. I was skeptical, but agreed to it. I must admit, it worked very well. It allowed me to continue in my profession which was extremely physically demanding, and now most people can’t tell that I was injured before.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was wondering when you would post this. There is a study out there that shows horstsnce or wall squats lower blood pressure as well. There must be multiple martial arts studies going on. The studies say that the benefits are due to the static hold.

My last trip to the doctors ended with my doctor telling to do thai chi and my qigong exercises.

I also learn the benefit of pinching the floor with the feet when doing horse stance. I have so bad muscle imbalance and the exercises that I'm doing for rehab is the same muscles that is targeted by the stand. I'm wondering if some of you guys have hip issues due to muscle imbalance.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's the conclusion of the study, with a link to the paper below:

In this randomized clinical trial conducted in office and 24-hour ambulatory conditions, 12 months of Tai Chi was more effective than aerobic exercise in reducing SBP [systolic blood pressure] in patients with prehypertension. These findings support the important public health value of Tai Chi to promote the prevention of cardiovascular disease in populations with prehypertension.

Latest Discussions