taiji mantis effectiveness

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am new to martial arts, and have been thinking of taking taiji mantis. But my question is: is it useful for self defence in real life? Or would 7star be more effective?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Both are the same. Both take time to gain proficiency. They vary in stylistic methodologies & attributes, but they are in the core of the style, the same.

BTrent

White Belt
Reaction score
I am new to martial arts, and have been thinking of taking taiji mantis. But my question is: is it useful for self defence in real life? Or would 7star be more effective?
I take both. They are mostly the same in principle and application. This video shows our sifu demonstrating mantis self-defense. This video shows the tai chi mantis form bung bo. This video shows 7 star mantis bung bo. Brendan Lai my teacher's, teacher's, teacher's teacher was a head above most mantis practitioners, however. They are very similar and have shared techniques with each other over the centuries, which is why you find that many schools have forms and techniques from both systems.

chen yaolong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's not the style but the teacher.

The difference between Taiji Mantis and Seven Star is in the way the body moves, and the focus on techniques. Seven Star has a strong Long Fist influence, and so is more linear and uses more expansive movements. Taiji Mantis makes use of the body to generate power and the arms are kept closer to the body.

Hope this helps.