Tai Chi vs Krav Maga

abe_tz

White Belt
Reaction score
Who would win in a sparring fight...a master of Tai Chi or a very skilled Krav Maga practitioner?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on which one is the Good Guy, as defined by the author of the screenplay, and which scene is being filmed. It's possible for the Good Guy to lose, if the scene takes place early in the movie. By the end, it's virtually guaranteed that the Good Guy will win. Especially if the Good Guy spends most of the interval between fight scenes gathering wisdom from a frail elderly man who speaks only in aphorisms and metaphors.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... gathering wisdom from a frail elderly man who speaks only in aphorisms and metaphors.
... or, if the elderly man were the Sphinx in Mystery Men, he'd be employing Antimetabole, a type of Chiasmus.

(Yeah, I had to look it up.)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
By the responses that were given, I assume this type of question is common lol.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Style versus style threads never end well so best not to encourage arguments in the first place. X v Y is a very negative way of looking at martial arts.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The questions pop up not infrequently.

Really, there's no way to answer it. Every style has strengths and weaknesses, pros and cons. Things they do well, things they don't. They reflect the beliefs and values and strategies and tactics of the people and places where they were developed. For example, I'm familiar with a style of stick fighting that values life highly -- so they avoid strikes to the body, especially the most vulnerable places, and to the groin, where life is created. Krav Maga was developed consciously and intentionally as a style to be learned quickly, and to be brutally effective, drawing on Imi Lichtenfield's personal training background and experiences fighting in the days leading up to WWII. Tai Chi has a very different origin...

So... rather than ask "who would win..." -- you might ask "what could a fight between a Tai Chi master and a Krav Maga master look like?" How would their tactics and strategies work together?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
... or, if the elderly man were the Sphinx in Mystery Men, he'd be employing Antimetabole, a type of Chiasmus.

(Yeah, I had to look it up.)

Or Joel Grey in makeup (Chiun)

1499.jpg