Tai Chi Quan combat help?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll disagree with Brian on this one. If you want to develop your grappling skills to the level where you can control and defend yourself from a bigger, stronger opponent, then free grappling without strikes is an excellent training method. The point isn't to prove how tough your are - it's to learn. Without the distractions of punches coming at your face you can pay a lot more attention to studying the subtleties of balance, structure, and energy that are necessary to overcome someone who has superior athletic attributes.

Learning to overcome a bigger stronger opponent in a free-form setting where he is free to use his attributes as he wishes takes a lot of time and practice. It can be frustrating - you'll find times where you have superior leverage but his strength is sufficient to overcome your leverage advantage, which hardly seems fair. You need to go through the experience enough times to learn how to never give them the chance to use their full strength against you. Be patient and keep working at it. There are no shortcuts.

Once you're pinned on the ground I'm not sure that Tai Chi has a lot to help you. You may have to look at some of the grappling arts which deal with that situation.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'll disagree with Brian on this one. If you want to develop your grappling skills to the level where you can control and defend yourself from a bigger, stronger opponent, then free grappling without strikes is an excellent training method. The point isn't to prove how tough your are - it's to learn. Without the distractions of punches coming at your face you can pay a lot more attention to studying the subtleties of balance, structure, and energy that are necessary to overcome someone who has superior athletic attributes.

Learning to overcome a bigger stronger opponent in a free-form setting where he is free to use his attributes as he wishes takes a lot of time and practice. It can be frustrating - you'll find times where you have superior leverage but his strength is sufficient to overcome your leverage advantage, which hardly seems fair. You need to go through the experience enough times to learn how to never give them the chance to use their full strength against you. Be patient and keep working at it. There are no shortcuts.

My sifu is several inches shorter than me, over 20 years older than me and I bet I have almost 100lbs on him and he can control me and throw me around like a rag doll at times and he seems to stay relaxed while doing it too. He also has over 30 years experience on me too

Once you're pinned on the ground I'm not sure that Tai Chi has a lot to help you. You may have to look at some of the grappling arts which deal with that situation.

Qinna; basically the idea is to get off the ground, not stay there, because it is not a place you want to be.

Another thing, not that it is impossible... because it isn't, but it is not all that easy to get a good taiji person on the ground. Talked with a taiji guy that went to train MMA and he was having a blast. He was getting beat and learning a lot about his taiji but the one thing the guys that went for grappling were having an issue with was his rooting and relaxation, he was not as easy to get on the ground as the guys they were use to dealing with. He was learning and they were learning too.

Last edited:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Tony the way I take it that this is just a get together backyard sparring session between to friends without any instructor present. Tai Chi vs. Big Time Wrestling so to speak. I think the Tai Chi person should avail themselves of what they do and not tie their hands behind their back. This is sparring not a situation where neither are learning at that time and space from an actual instructor present.

However, you and I are in total agreement that to develop your grappling skills you need to work with a grappling instructor (insert art, your and my preference being BJJ) where you concentrate specifically on that system and its movement without striking. You can add in strikes once the basic movement is fine tuned to a good level.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Would you be comfortable posting a video of the two of you sparring? If your concerned with your identity, perhaps wearing masks?

I would be interested in seeing how he is coming at you. If he's willing to help you improve I would suggest breaking it down. Have him just do his initial grab and work with it. Over and over. The problem comes in becoming comfortable only with how he moves. If you could find more opponents you'll find your skills improve more...instead of comfort level with only one or two people.

The main issue as has been stated, is that there is not going to be a cure all move. (I know your aware of this). Depending on how he comes into grab your arms, I would suggest working with this.

For example a one handed grab, rolling towards the thumb and around to grab his arm, and turning with his forward momentum. Let him fall, better yet help him ;)

I also think if he is getting too close you might consider placing your legs, to trip up his.

For example basic ward off, if you step first to put your foot behind his heel and then ward off. Or you knee behind his and ward off, you'll find even very big people will fall.

Hope you find this helpful

OP
F

FluidSound

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's been about 3 to 4 years now.

And I'll see about the video thing. For now, I have to let my sternum rest.

Latest Discussions