Tai Chi Combat Self Defense

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Got it thanks. That is a good speed ! In my line sometimes we do erlu as yilu and yilu as erlu lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you wish to do a repost of your video at that new thread? So that we can have a collection.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As far as people who don’t want to make video. I understand personal reasons, anxiety and etc, but if it’s related to secrecy it no longer make sense .
When I think of this, I think of 2 realities.
1. Look how long it took for me to learn it with the resources I have. So what makes me think someone is going to learn just by watching a video of me doing a form
2. Look at the effort it took me to learn. How many people are willing to make that effort. There were people who took the same classes I did at the same time I did and they didn't have any effort.

Three's a big difference between seeing and taking the time and commitment to actually do it. How often do we see musicians play instruments and singers perform. Now how many of us would even give it that much dedication? This is how I look at Martial Arts.

Trying to keep it in a box as a secret is not good for it's survival. Secrecy causes fraud, simply because no one knows what it is supposed to look like except for a handful of people. In other cases videos may embarrass higher ups. This is where ego starts to come into play. This is where the mentality of "No one can be better than the Master" takes over. There are some good reasons not to show videos, but most really aren't good reasons.

History has shown that restricted information is eventually lost information.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And quick and dirty vid. This just a small part of xinjia erlu in casual training format.

If you noticed samurai facial expression during 搬拦肘 (elbow block) it’s my right shoulder that bothers me a bit after injury. Will eradicate it soon

Thanks for sharing

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
1. Look how long it took for me to learn it with the resources I have. So what makes me think someone is going to learn just by watching a video of me doing a form
2. Look at the effort it took me to learn. How many people are willing to make that effort. There were people who took the same classes I did at the same time I did and they didn't have any effort.

Three's a big difference between seeing and taking the time and commitment to actually do it. How often do we see musicians play instruments and singers perform. Now how many of us would even give it that much dedication? This is how I look at Martial Arts.

Trying to keep it in a box as a secret is not good for it's survival. Secrecy causes fraud, simply because no one knows what it is supposed to look like except for a handful of people. In other cases videos may embarrass higher ups. This is where ego starts to come into play. This is where the mentality of "No one can be better than the Master" takes over. There are some good reasons not to show videos, but most really aren't good reasons.

I look at this from different angle. Video could serve a guiding purpose for those who is in search. Curious mind will lead to the right direction.

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Besides, it’s fun to watch each other’s videos!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I look at this from different angle. Video could serve a guiding purpose for those who is in search. Curious mind will lead to the right direction.

Valid too

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Besides, it’s fun to watch each other’s videos!
I like seeing the learning process and the reality that everyone isn't perfect. I come from a school where everything had to be perfectly done like a dance routine. It drove me nuts. People are only human. Ironically, when I got the boot, my Sigung posted a video of his bloopers and a message. "Don't take your kung fu too seriously "

It was a year late for my school but I like the new videos from the main school. Now they look human.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. Look how long it took for me to learn it with the resources I have. So what makes me think someone is going to learn just by watching a video of me doing a form.
I stole a form by hidden behind a tree and watched my long fist teacher who taught that form to more advanced students. A year later, my long fist teacher asked me to perform that form in my high school event. I then knew that he didn't mind that I had stolen that form from him.

IMO, to steal a form is easy. To understand the application is not.

Last edited:

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion a “form” has to have a purpose, a content and a function.

How people interprets it depends their knowledge in the area.

In my line each movement supported by separate drills. Drills give rough idea of the function. After practicing both drills and movement they give birth to a jin. This is when things start clear up and make sense. Lol

In turn jins open gates for usage “on demand” and change/adaptation to situation. One jin turns to another and so on. That is where taiji mma taking place. Lol

The problem of modern taiji is lack of transmission . That is why majority of proficient taiji players came with heavy combative background before hand. Those pure taiji practitioners usually falls in the rough patch of discovery which usually comes under the stress. The dilemma is - if one wants to learn self defense from real punches and kicks he/she must learn how to do those first. Then he/she can learn how to defend it. Otherwise, the training is is just an impression what seems to be punches and kicks.

Of course it’s easy for me to say I have spent over decade prior taiji in full contact competitions/sparrings. Not that I was good in it, but at least I got an exposure mixing up with practitioners outside of my style. And yes I was owned many times :) An eye opening experience of shining difference between imagination and reality. So in a sense, I’m fortunate to be not delusional about my skillset and limitations, and have healthy respect for others. That’s why you don’t see me doing stupid challenges and swim comfortably in my taiji swamp lol

Latest Discussions