TAGB disastrous patterns delivery

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
I do not know the "whys" as to what is going on in the first video. I suspect like many it's a holdover from some instructor in the lineage. Suffice it to say there are numerous non Chang Hon / ITF characteristics to the walking stance middle front punch shown. The walking stance should not have the lower leg vertical. It should be angled slightly back so the front of the kneecap is aligned vertically with the back of the heel. This makes a lead leg kick easier from this stance as opposed to a deeper stance with lower leg vertical. (feel free to try it) Shoulders should be square with thumb side of the fist at the center line when extended. (Video shows punch more to shoulder line). So the fist and shoulders should form an isosceles triangle. (Video shows punching side shoulder way forward.) Punch should not extend past distance of toes of lead foot. Meaning if you were facing a wall and lead foot toes touched wall knuckles would also touch wall at center line.. This is for stability. (Video shows punch way out in front of toes) Simple test hve someone extend punch shoulders turned and fist way past toes. Grab their wrist. A slight pull will unbalance them.

His large blocks don't look right either, but that does seem to be something that the TAGB did themselves.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not know the "whys" as to what is going on in the first video. I suspect like many it's a holdover from some instructor in the lineage. Suffice it to say there are numerous non Chang Hon / ITF characteristics to the walking stance middle front punch shown. The walking stance should not have the lower leg vertical. It should be angled slightly back so the front of the kneecap is aligned vertically with the back of the heel. This makes a lead leg kick easier from this stance as opposed to a deeper stance with lower leg vertical. (feel free to try it) Shoulders should be square with thumb side of the fist at the center line when extended. (Video shows punch more to shoulder line). So the fist and shoulders should form an isosceles triangle. (Video shows punching side shoulder way forward.) Punch should not extend past distance of toes of lead foot. Meaning if you were facing a wall and lead foot toes touched wall knuckles would also touch wall at center line.. This is for stability. (Video shows punch way out in front of toes) Simple test hve someone extend punch shoulders turned and fist way past toes. Grab their wrist. A slight pull will unbalance them.
I am not versed as well in ITF and am speaking purely from a MDK (not WT/Kukkiwon) perspective. It would not be typical but we (I) look at the persons physique and structure in regards to stance as much as hard definitions. I agree it would be unusual for the leg to be at or near vertical knee to foot. A person should be able to see their toes Without leaning forward. I have seen this an exception in very tall people.
A question for you Sir; in regards to the back foot; do you look for it to be straight (toes all pointing at 12:00) or at a slight angle? I see and have heard merit in both positions. I would argue that ease of a lead kick would depend on kick selection in regards to the back foot. An explosive front kick needs the foot rotated more forward, for power and reach. A rotational kick or side kick (of any variety) needs the foot rotated. But it could be argued this is drifting outside the stnce or form/poomsae definition.
Fully agree on square shoulders. We also teach the triangle relationship of hand and shoulders. Again, anatomy plays into where the hand is. I have had people who had to lean their torso back to get their hand behind the front foot and this created a plethora or other problems. For this rare exception structure is strongly preached and tested in stance more than the hand being at or slightly ahead of the foot.
It is always good to hear/read your viewpoint and expertise. Thank you Sir.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
In that section of the video is do see that his lead foot hand are not at all time together. I have heard arguments on both sides of this coin but we teach that they should be in time.
Chang on- Hands, Feet, Breath all Finish same time.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
A question for you Sir; in regards to the back foot; do you look for it to be straight (toes all pointing at 12:00) or at a slight angle? .

Sir, the technical Chang Hon standard for the rear foot is to point "Outward" 25 degrees.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Part 1/4 of the original TAGB patterns video featuring the founder members of the TAGB

Those were the founders??:eek:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friendly reminder to all members:

Style bashing is not permitted, per the guidelines you agreed to when you signed up.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TAGB is an organization, not a style. All content is directly lifted from Chang Hon TaeKwonDo by General Choi, though not the latest versions of it.

Latest Discussions