Taekwondo Women's Dobok

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmm. I’m new to Taekwando and definitely don’t care for the fit of my Dobok. My karate gi from back in the day fit much better and stayed on better. I just assumed it was that Doboks just aren’t as good as gi’s. It never occurred to me that it is a result of me being female. I have no trouble with the pants, just the top. It’s continually riding up in a way that my karate gi never did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm. I’m new to Taekwando and definitely don’t care for the fit of my Dobok. My karate gi from back in the day fit much better and stayed on better. I just assumed it was that Doboks just aren’t as good as gi’s. It never occurred to me that it is a result of me being female. I have no trouble with the pants, just the top. It’s continually riding up in a way that my karate gi never did.

Gi was wraparound with ties?

My tkd dobok top is crossover with a zip, my kickboxing top is v neck pullover type, but almost the same cut - both ride up on me. Tucking/folding the sides under where my belt runs seems to reduce it slightly, taking them in a bit at the waist might work...

Can't really say it's my feminine shape that's the cause - what with being 5'10", 150lbs, and male ;)

Oddly, the... erm.... less svelte members seem to have less trouble than me...

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gi was wraparound with ties?

My tkd dobok top is crossover with a zip, my kickboxing top is v neck pullover type, but almost the same cut - both ride up on me. Tucking/folding the sides under where my belt runs seems to reduce it slightly, taking them in a bit at the waist might work...

Can't really say it's my feminine shape that's the cause - what with being 5'10", 150lbs, and male ;)

Oddly, the... erm.... less svelte members seem to have less trouble than me...

Yes. The Gi was wraparound with ties. My Tkd top is a pullover v-neck. It makes me look fat and whatnot because of how it billows out. I am not fat. 5’ 6” 130lbs. However, I don’t care much how I look in it as I am there to train, not win a beauty contest. I do get annoyed that I am having to constantly adjust my top. It is always riding up no matter what I do.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not the look it's the feel.

If it's any consolation, I get the same issue with almost all clothing that's not cut to shape - t-shirts ride up (body and sleeves) under jumpers, jumpers ride up under coats, socks ride down in boots... Sometimes I'm quite sure I'm not built to wear clothes ;)

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes. The Gi was wraparound with ties. My Tkd top is a pullover v-neck. It makes me look fat and whatnot because of how it billows out. I am not fat. 5’ 6” 130lbs. However, I don’t care much how I look in it as I am there to train, not win a beauty contest. I do get annoyed that I am having to constantly adjust my top. It is always riding up no matter what I do.

What size dobok are you wearing and what brand is it? Some may fit better than others. I'm no expert on uniforms, but from my experience some styles and fabrics just fit better. For me, I can comfortably wear a size 5 Adidas but in Vision, I need a 6 in a comparable quality. My sparring dobok, a Vision Revolution, I can easily wear a 4. I'm fat, so I have to wear them all bigger than I need for my height...sigh.