taekwondo vs karate

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here I thought it was the difference between Korea and Japan...

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And here I thought it was the difference between Korea and Japan...

A fair amount of what's known today as Taekwondo could perhaps more accurately be termed Tang Soo Do, Korean Karate, or even just straight up Karate. But, for a variety of legal, political, and post-occupation nationalistic reasons in Korea, many schools began calling whatever they were teaching Tae Kwon Do out of pride and a not-undeserved urge to distance themselves from things Japanese.

Today, beginning mainly in the later 20th century, there is an internationally popular combat sport called Taekwondo. But, there are also a variety of schools teaching a range of things on a spectrum that ranges from that highly specialized kicking sport, to stuff that's honestly, basically just karate, all of them also flying the banner of Taekwondo.

Karate is equally varied, when JKA Shotokan and Goju Ryu are both major systems.

So yeah, you may be right; perhaps the only consistent distinction that can be drawn across all styles of TKD and Karate is the country which claims them and names them.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
With the evolution of performance and sport taekwondo, modern taekwondo has heavy emphasis on agile kick techniques. Non-sport taekwondo is more spread out in terms of emphasis, while karate mostly retains its form since development. Honestly I only see a difference in leg techniques: you never see a demonstration of a flying leg head corkscrew or a 1080 degree jumping spinning hook kick (Ingun Yoo, google him) in Karate c:

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A fair amount of what's known today as Taekwondo could perhaps more accurately be termed Tang Soo Do, Korean Karate, or even just straight up Karate. But, for a variety of legal, political, and post-occupation nationalistic reasons in Korea, many schools began calling whatever they were teaching Tae Kwon Do out of pride and a not-undeserved urge to distance themselves from things Japanese.

Today, beginning mainly in the later 20th century, there is an internationally popular combat sport called Taekwondo. But, there are also a variety of schools teaching a range of things on a spectrum that ranges from that highly specialized kicking sport, to stuff that's honestly, basically just karate, all of them also flying the banner of Taekwondo.

Karate is equally varied, when JKA Shotokan and Goju Ryu are both major systems.

So yeah, you may be right; perhaps the only consistent distinction that can be drawn across all styles of TKD and Karate is the country which claims them and names them.
Last time I checked taekwondo was developed as a hybrid of older traditional Korean martial arts in the mid 20th century.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last time I checked taekwondo was developed as a hybrid of older traditional Korean martial arts in the mid 20th century.
While I don't doubt there are Korean Arts, the way I heard it, is TKD was put together, as an answer and an alternative to the Japanese and Okinawan stuff. They even use the same forms. Just remember, Americans were fueling, the sport aspect; so, I say you were mis-informed. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Then you were misinformed. Taekwondo was derived primarily from Shotokan Karate, with some influence from Judo and Northern Chinese styles.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I'm sure every Taekwondoin has heard some version of the legend that Taekwondo was based on ancient Korean striking arts secretly kept alive during the Japanese occupation by masters who trained in secret in some remote mountain monstaries.

That story is, at best, greatly exaggerated.

cloud dancing

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
General Choi founded TKD and was Master level in Shotokan karate.After 15 years of Military Japanese rule and Korean slavery --there is such HATRED for all things Japanese-name was changed and forms were changed {slightly9-24} Even in Korean Aikido'/Hapkido black skirt-Hakama is not allowed to be worn.Instead all students were simply white uniforms /same as most Karate schools.Anyone saying there is no HATRED for the 15 years of Japanese Occupation of Korea is ? somewhat misinformed.if Thousands of your women were forced into sexual slavery and your ancient swords destroyed - then perhaps there might be the HATRED that now still exists for many in Korea towards Japan.
One friend is a Shotokan Master who studied 6 years in Japan said they are both the same.Sports RKD is a ,should I say a modified style w/o Pyong./{kata}
When Light shines darkness leaves.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
General Choi founded TKD and was Master level in Shotokan karate.After 15 years of Military Japanese rule and Korean slavery --there is such HATRED for all things Japanese-name was changed and forms were changed {slightly9-24} Even in Korean Aikido'/Hapkido black skirt-Hakama is not allowed to be worn.Instead all students were simply white uniforms /same as most Karate schools.Anyone saying there is no HATRED for the 15 years of Japanese Occupation of Korea is ? somewhat misinformed.if Thousands of your women were forced into sexual slavery and your ancient swords destroyed - then perhaps there might be the HATRED that now still exists for many in Korea towards Japan.
One friend is a Shotokan Master who studied 6 years in Japan said they are both the same.Sports RKD is a ,should I say a modified style w/o Pyong./{kata}
When Light shines darkness leaves.

Han (한) :) Han (cultural) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I choose karate Emty hand better than Taekwondo their more concentrate on kicking karate used both im taking American Kenpo karate and i used to take shotokan

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
General Choi founded TKD

No, he did not. He founded the Oh Do Kwan and the ITF. He was one of many people who were fundamental in the development of what eventually became TKD. He certainly did not do it alone, and exactly how much each pioneer contributed is highly debatable.

and was Master level in Shotokan karate.

No, he was not. General Choi was ranked at 1st or 2nd Dan in Shotokan (I think 1st, but memory fails....) and had an HONORARY 4th Dan from the Chung Do Kwan, which was later revoked. That doesn't decrease his contribution to TKD, but the fact is that the only Master level rank he held was self-awarded.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As a korean guy who loves taekwondo and has done it almost all my life
(and this opinion isn't really too special or unique)
Taekwondo did not have direct influence from korean martial arts or what people argue are not even martial arts.
It is a combination of foreign arts that has been influenced very heavily by Korean culture. (mainly its subtle fascination with kicking and leg movements). Multiple games involve mainly or exclusively kicking with the feet and such whether it's a sparkly ball, or another Taekkyon player.
basically: Taekkyon as an activity I don't believe had much formative influence on Taekwondo. BUT the part of korean culture made koreans invent and enjoy activities like Taekkyon are what have brought us Taekwondo as we know it today.
A very awesome and unique combination of mainly karate and korean culture.

Latest Discussions