Taekwondo class structure

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by falcon, Oct 24, 2019.

1. isshinryuronin

isshinryuronin Green Belt

I appreciate that you have recognized a problem and are attempting to find a solution. You sound a little inexperienced - the only cure for that is more experience, and taking to heart some of the advice given in these various replies. Care about your students, challenge them, praise them when they respond, teach with confidence and mutual respect, and remember- you are a role model.

• Like Like x 1
  2. falcon

falcon Orange Belt

thanks for being willing to help. i will try to get your questions answered when i get some time to type stuff out.

3. WaterGal

WaterGal Master of Arts

Falcon, I'm going to give you a piece of advice that someone on this board gave to me maybe 4 or 5 years ago after my partner and I started our school and were scratching our heads going "how do we make this thing work".

There are a bunch of Facebook groups out there for martial arts school owners/instructors/managers. Look them up and join some of them.

Now, most of them are run by someone that wants your money - either an equipment supplier (i.e. Century Martial Arts School Network), a company that makes software to help you run your school (i.e. Martial Arts Business Growth), or a professional business coach (i.e. Martial Arts Sales & Marketing). Be aware of that.

But, these groups can be a GREAT source of advice about how to run your school more professionally, how to have a better and more engaging curriculum, what other groups and resources to look into, how to market yourself, etc. They'll let you network with other school owners and get ideas from them, which can be really helpful.

I'd also recommend going on Amazon and grabbing a couple of Mike Massie's books on running a martial arts school. I found the rotating curriculum one really helpful. He has one on drills and games for classes, which I found a little remedial personally, but might give you some ideas for keeping your classes fun. I'm trying to remember which of his other books I read, lol. I'll have to look in my Kindle app.

• Like Like x 2
  4. falcon

falcon Orange Belt

thanks do you happen to know the name of any of those groups, so i can find them a little easier. I will look into that guys books thanks

5. Balrog

Balrog Master of Arts

Our classes are 40 minutes long. This is a very generic structure for our non-sparring class:
    Warm-up 5 minutes
    Basic floor drills 5 minutes This can be whatever I want to work on today: punch, block, kick, stance, combos whatever. These are almost always techniques from the form they are doing.
    Impact bag work 10 minutes Using what we just did as the floor drill
    Forms work. 15 minutes
    Cool-down, stretching and announcements 5 minutes

For sparring class, I do the 5 minutes warm-up, then 5 minutes of a drill on something I want to emphasize, such as block and counter, or V-out round kick counters. Then the rest of the class is one minute rounds, rotating between partners.

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  6. WaterGal

WaterGal Master of Arts

Well, I'd start with the ones I mentioned:
    Century Martial Arts School Network
    Martial Arts Business Growth
    Martial Arts Sales & Marketing

There are others, and I'm sure you'll get invited to more if you join and participate in those lol.

7. Bruce7

Bruce7 Brown Belt

I am not a fan of Tiger Rock, but they are a real money maker.
    They have a very good structure for making kids like TKD.
    Go to one of their schools and see how they do it, it may help.

8. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Bruce, I think that is sage advice for someone more tenured who can sort through what/how they do things that may not work in a smaller, less supported environment or a different system. If I recall, falcon does not have much support, MA or marketing related. If he/she could audit a class or get a written curriculum it could be thought provoking.
    Tiger Rock is what I call a closed loop system. They do what they do and it does not overlap into other schools, styles, or the real world. That takes a great amount of work behind the scenes. I imagine quite a lot more than actual classroom instructional time.