Taekwondo Business Seminars?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from "Master Chong's Taekwondo" promoting a business seminar for TKD schools, in Buffalo NY, about how to grow your school and have a zillion students.

I'm always deeply skeptical about these kind of things, because it could just be a money-grab for the guy putting it on, and who knows if that guy really knows anything. But the website they have for the seminar makes it actually sound like it could be really helpful in learning how to be better at selling memberships, following up on leads, etc, which has been something we've always had a hard time with.

Has anyone taken this particular seminar before, or another similar one? Are they useful/effective?

Maybe this should be in the "school management" section, but this one was a TKD-specific seminar so I figured I'd ask you guys.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't heard of him, but his agenda looks like it's a decent plan.

If you are in the area go for it, for 299 if it gets you one more student it's more then paid for itself.

If not there are quite a few good ones to look at around the country. I am familiar with a lot of the consulting groups and can probably steer you to one. But not any TKD specific ones... and really at the end of the day your style doesn't matter, we are all in the same business model.

There are also a few Facebook groups that are geared towards business owners with some good info. Add me as a friend and I'll invite you into a few if you like (Facebook)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Probably a great thing for a businessman. For a Martial Artist or a fighter....run away. I mean like lickety split.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The two are not mutually exclusive.

I like your posts, Andrew, not sure what you mean. That's probably my bad, but, hey, I'm old. Continue, my brother.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of people, not sure if you are included, think that being a good martial arts business owner and being a good martial artist don't work together.

You can be a great martial artist, and operate a profitable school.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...You can be a great martial artist, and operate a profitable school.

Sometimes one almost gets the sense that there are people who even take it one step further... "If you're running a profitable school, you must not be a very good martial artist."

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A lot of people, not sure if you are included, think that being a good martial arts business owner and being a good martial artist don't work together.

You can be a great martial artist, and operate a profitable school.

Sometimes one almost gets the sense that there are people who even take it one step further... "If you're running a profitable school, you must not be a very good martial artist."

You guys are right, there are a lot of damn fools out there. And as anyone who operates a school knows - if you don't run it right and don't cover expenses, it's going to close. And if you're doing it for a living, and don't make a profit, it's going to close.

If a dojo closes - you can't help anyone any more. It's always sad when a good dojo closes it's doors.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a good martial artist and teacher. I'm not so good at running the school as a business. I go to seminars like this all the time. They help, and as was pointed out earlier, if you get one student more as a result, it pays for itself. It also helps to have a business coach, preferably someone who is a very successful school owner in their own right.

OP
W

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do understand why some people think that financially successful schools must not be teaching anything worthwhile - because I'm sure we've all run into examples of belt mills and such where that was the case. Where somebody transferred to your school and you see their technique and are thinking "you're what belt again?". But there are also plenty of small and unsuccessful schools that don't teach anything good, either, it's just that nobody's heard of them. And I've seen some large schools, even chains, do very well at tournaments.

OP
W

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I haven't heard of him, but his agenda looks like it's a decent plan.

If you are in the area go for it, for 299 if it gets you one more student it's more then paid for itself.

If not there are quite a few good ones to look at around the country. I am familiar with a lot of the consulting groups and can probably steer you to one. But not any TKD specific ones... and really at the end of the day your style doesn't matter, we are all in the same business model.

There are also a few Facebook groups that are geared towards business owners with some good info. Add me as a friend and I'll invite you into a few if you like (Facebook)

I generally try to keep my real identity and location hidden on here as much as possible, because I value being able to talk shop and ask for business or teaching advice or show some ignorance about something and not worry about it getting back to the students or potential students, you know?

But that sounds like it could be really helpful, so I'll friend you. Thanks! I appreciate that.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
its always a good idea to think of success like a combination lock. good ideas are the keys. you may already have some good ideas but maybe just one more really good idea will unlock that big success. who knows where that idea will come from..its always good to listen to others ideas as long as what you end up doing is the product of making up your own mind

Latest Discussions