TaeKwonDo and hip surgery prevelance

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i meant to say that stretching followed by explosive movement decreases resistance to injury, even though it might seem paradoxical

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
i meant to say that stretching followed by explosive movement decreases resistance to injury, even though it might seem paradoxical

Not paradoxical if you consider that extensive stretching will lead to muscle fatigue immediately after the stretch. Muscles help stabilize joints and fatigued muscles will not do this as well leading to over extension.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not paradoxical if you consider that extensive stretching will lead to muscle fatigue immediately after the stretch. Muscles help stabilize joints and fatigued muscles will not do this as well leading to over extension.

That's why I don't do them throughly in class since they can be fatiguing.

I think most laypeople would assume a non stretched person is at greater risk of pulling a muscle than a stretched person.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do not disagree with that. I do think the bigger injury factor is simply not getting warmed up first. We dynamic stretch at the beginning of class and static stretch at the end of class for this reason.

Not sure it’s good after class either, if it's been rough.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's why I don't do them throughly in class since they can be fatiguing.

I think most laypeople would assume a non stretched person is at greater risk of pulling a muscle than a stretched person.
we are struggling for definition here, stretching messes up your nervous system making inter muscle co ordination more difficult and thus you more at risk of injury, warming a muscle by moving it though its NORMAL range of motion and consequently filling it with fresh blood tends to stop injury, where one becomes the other is a difficult point to define

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
we are struggling for definition here, stretching messes up your nervous system making inter muscle co ordination more difficult and thus you more at risk of injury, warming a muscle by moving it though its NORMAL range of motion and consequently filling it with fresh blood tends to stop injury, where one becomes the other is a difficult point to define

Yeah I know. Even kicking moderately warm is perfectly fine. It also depends day to day. Some days you feel stiffer than others.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure it’s good after class either, if it's been rough.
Then how/when do we improve on things like range of motion?
Back in the day we definitely did it wrong but I do not attribute my bad knees and such purely to the stretching component.
I feel our body is an incredible machine that can be trained and condition to more IF we do it smartly and safely.
Like Jobo mentioned, get warmed up and get the blood flowing. This in and of itself is different from person to person. I have to Really get a sweat going before my muscles relax enough to get a good stretch. On the other side of the spectrum are the teens and 20 somethings who can walk in and do a full split without thinking about it.
So a person has to listen to and learn from their body. Then make a safe, logical plan and stick to it. The easiest and safest path is dynamic stretching/warmups at the start and if you want/need some extra stretching, static after.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not flexible enough to really hyperextend anyway.

Everyone is flexible enough to hyperextend. If you stretch past the point where your body is flexible enough to tolerate, that's a hyper-extension. I've pulled my groin more than a few times doing side kicks. And I'm not nearly as flexible as some.

1:19 says that stretching actually increases your resistance to injury prior to explosive movement. So what you need is warm-ups before, not stretching. Most MA classes do both.

What most classes do before class is technically static stretching, but seems more dynamic to me. Most classes have you go just beyond the level of comfort, and hold for only 10-20 seconds. Where I think it's dangerous before class is if you're really forcing the stretch, or if you hold static stretch poses for extended lengths of time (30 seconds, 1 minute, etc). I've heard more people complain of injury when they don't stretch at all than if they do.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think these are the key words. Extensive stretching (not the moderate amount that most do). And immediately after. If you do extensive stretching, and then a warmup of moderate dynamic stretches or basic movements, then it gives your muscles time to recover.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you do extensive stretching, and then a warmup of moderate dynamic stretches or basic movements, then it gives your muscles time to recover.

That is all a matter of degree. How Fatigued? How much time to recover from that fatigue etc.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is all a matter of degree. How Fatigued? How much time to recover from that fatigue etc.

We do basics/patterns for a good 10-15 minutes after stretching before moving on to explosive movements. I still think the stretching is misplaced though.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree. I just think this blanket "all TKD schools are stretching wrong" attitude that I see a lot is people who took that information out of context.

At my school, we have had several doctors get their black belts, several more who've had kids get black belts, even more nurses. My nephew took classes for a year, and my sister and brother-in-law met when they were at school for sports medicine.

We also have had former professional dancers at our school, one who specializes in teaching stretching.

Not a single one of those medical professionals nor dancers has criticized our stretching habits.

Yet I see time and time again online that if you stretch before class, you're going to injure yourself.

This rant isn't directed towards you. Sorry if you got an earful of crossfire.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The video I posted said stretching period