TaeKuekKwon & SoRimJangKwon Hyungs

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although I am not a Soo Bahk Do student I understand what Grandmaster Hwang, Kee was doing. He was rediscovering and developing Korea's martial art heritage. His Soo Bahk Do combines all these influences to become a uniquely Korean traditional and at the same time Hwang Kee's own style. You cannot judge Hwang Kee's Tai Chi Chuan abilities by his students today, but you can see the Tai Chi Chuan influences as well as the Shaolin Chang Chuan and Tan Tui influences in his newer Soo Bahk Do forms: Especially in the Yuk Ro and Hwa Sun Hyungs. People who had the privilege of actually having Grandmaster Hwang Kee work with them have all said that his energy (ki) was very dynamic and definitely beyond simple karate.

This is what I have noticed as well. When I trained in SBD, I learned the Chil Sung Ill, E, Sam, and Sa Lo. I also learned Yuk Ro Cho Dan. At the same time, I was learning Yang Style Tai Chi. A lot of the movements were similar, but there were some significant changes that didn't make a lot of sense. In my Tai Chi class we could take any movement in the quan and apply it to another person. We never did this in SBD and I think this explains some of the changes. That said, looking back, there are some cool applications in those hyung.