Taebaek Question

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was working on Taebaek tonight (quite rusty) and was questioned on the 2nd move after you turn to go up the middle. I have always thought it to be a parry to move the attacking punch out of the way followed by a punch. A small move mainly from the wrist and forearm. Another BB detailed it as more of a bent arm block that rolls around the punch. I can find plenty of videos showing Taebaek but could not find any breakdown or explanation move by move. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have not learned that form, but based on youtube, it seemed to me more like what you were describing. But-why does it have to be one or the other? Depending on which one you want to practice more is how i would interpret the move. And i could see it reasonably viewed either way

Last edited:
OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have not learned that form, but based on youtube, it seemed more like what you were describing. But-why does it have to be one or the other? Depending on which one you want to practice more is how i would interpret the move. And i could see it reasonably viewed either way
Call me OCD. I am hoping to get some opinions. I can talk to my 84 year old GM but I want my ducks in a row before I do. If I can figure it out all the better.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The standard answer is that you're throwing a punch, which is blocked, and you circle around the block to move their arm out of the way.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was working on Taebaek tonight (quite rusty) and was questioned on the 2nd move after you turn to go up the middle. I have always thought it to be a parry to move the attacking punch out of the way followed by a punch. A small move mainly from the wrist and forearm. Another BB detailed it as more of a bent arm block that rolls around the punch. I can find plenty of videos showing Taebaek but could not find any breakdown or explanation move by move. I would appreciate any thoughts.

The motion is similar to how we do wrist grab defense. (Except we'd normally stay focused on that grab instead of punching with the other hand). But I can see it as if your punch is blocked and they grab your wrist, what you can do.

This is one of the problems I have with Taekwondo, as you may have seen in other posts I've made here. There isn't much training in the application of the forms. A lot of motions we use in the forms aren't used in partner drills or allowed in sparring, there's generally not a whole lot discussion of what you should imagine you're doing. When you look around on the Internet for advice, there's not a whole lot of people who are chasing those applications, and those that are, chase applications for completely different motions.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Call me OCD. I am hoping to get some opinions. I can talk to my 84 year old GM but I want my ducks in a row before I do. If I can figure it out all the better.

I agree with you. My assumption is that there is a primary application for every technique in a form. Even if it can be used for more, there is a particular part of the script that each technique is supposed to follow. And sometimes it can be hard to tell what that is.

OP
dvcochran

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The standard answer is that you're throwing a punch, which is blocked, and you circle around the block to move their arm out of the way.
So after you have punched and are going to circle with the arm, how bent is you arm shoulder to elbow, elbow to wrist? This was the discussion I had at class. I never thought there was much of any bend in the arm. Just enough to roll the wrist around the attackers arm. Do think of it as a grab?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after you have punched and are going to circle with the arm, how bent is you arm shoulder to elbow, elbow to wrist? This was the discussion I had at class. I never thought there was much of any bend in the arm. Just enough to roll the wrist around the attackers arm. Do think of it as a grab?

Depends on what you're talking about. In the form, there's just enough bend to roll over their wrist.
In application, it depends on things like exact body position, distance, angles, size of the people involved, etc.
It can be a grab, but it can also be just a push. Sort of depends on what you're planning to do next, and what they do when you start the movement.