Tae Kwon Do Forms

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
After class Saturday i was practicing these 3 forms : Do-San, Yul-Gok, and Choong- Moo. Feel free to comment and give any criticism. Thanks.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you taught to make an extra motion with your rear foot? Every time you move into a front stance your back foot readjusts. For me, this would be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you taught to make an extra motion with your rear foot? Every time you move into a front stance your back foot readjusts. For me, this would be wrong.

No I am not taught that. I have no idea why I do it. i have never been corrected otherwise. How do you do it?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No I am not taught that. I have no idea why I do it. i have never been corrected otherwise. How do you do it?

Once my stepping foot lands there is no further movement of my feet. It looks like you are stepping with the rear foot to settle into your stance. I'd just step a little longer maybe to remove the need for extra movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Once my stepping foot lands there is no further movement of my feet. It looks like you are stepping with the rear foot to settle into your stance. I'd just step a little longer maybe to remove the need for extra movement.

Ahhh I see, yeah I never even payed attention to that. The only thing that I was trying to make sure of was that my back heel wasn't up.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do San, Briefly, Not knowing what standard you follow. Outer forearm Blocks should chamber on top, not under. 1,3, and either 9 and or 11 you chamber under. Seems you are also inconsistent. # 5 should move the let foot and you move the right. Backfists chamber on top and should chamber under. Your chamber for the knife han strikes 23, and 24 are not consistent. 24 is better.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yul Guk Same caveat. No Tension 1&3 . Hooking Blocks look like Knifehand Blocks Bending ready stance is not slow. Punch with Side Piercing Kick should be high - eye level. Can't tell if chamber on outer forearm or back fist is correct due to rear view. High Double forarm block should move across the body like most blocks not from close in to forward.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Choon Moo caveat same as before , same techniques as other patterns same comments. . Jump with side Piercing kick - Not land and then kick . From U shape block to spin and knife hand guarding block, block should move across body opposite direction of spin whn you land. Rear foot should land in same place #12 Upward kick with knee. Hands grab head and pull down as knee impacts solar plexus. Hands and knee will never meet. Try this - Have someone stand in front of you in more or less a parallel stance. You are in a walking stance like the pattern. Be close enough to grab their head like the pattern. Don't move lead foot like the pattern. Try to bring your knee to their head. # 28 is an upward block with palm. Looks like you are thrusting your hands forward.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's been a long, long time since I have done those forms. I'll defer to Mr. Weiss' detailed technical analysis, and simply add that your power is inconsistent. Unless the move is specifically a slow or a tension move, you should deliver it with power. Most of your blocks look like they wouldn't stop a pool noodle, much less a punch or a kick.

May I suggest doing your forms against a heavy bag? Break the form down into segments and do them repeatedly with full power against the bag. Then when you go back into the full form on the floor, the power will show through.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't comment on the TKD so I'll stick to what I know. You seem to be having a disconnect of power in your blocks. Make sure you spend time training on how to connect your energy to create power. The way to train the connection is to just drill the techniques that feel weak. Eventually your body will learn how to connect the energy from your body to your arms resulting in a more powerful technique.

This isn't a quick process so have patience with it. You'll most likely learn how to do it when you least expect so long as you keep drilling those area where you feel that the technique isn't powerful.

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The little extra movements with your feet are not allowing you to settle into your stance with the correct timing and is dissipating your power. Do the forms slowly and feel the stability of the stance.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I took another look at the video with the back foot issue that many have pointed out. That extra movement in that foot is due to you trying to realign your stance instead of trying to push into the stance. By this I mean once that rear foot lands push forward into your bow stance. Currently you are pushing backwards into bow stance. When playing the video slowly I can see your rear foot literally move backwards.

Stance training can help you with this. Stance training is done with focus only on your stance and the transition of your stance. Practice transitioning from horse stance to bow stance, and from bow stance to bow stance.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do San, Briefly, Not knowing what standard you follow. Outer forearm Blocks should chamber on top, not under. 1,3, and either 9 and or 11 you chamber under. Seems you are also inconsistent. # 5 should move the let foot and you move the right. Backfists chamber on top and should chamber under. Your chamber for the knife han strikes 23, and 24 are not consistent. 24 is better.

So funny thing, I saw myself chambering for the outer foream block both on top and under. I have no written standard so i will confirm with my instructor today. There is also no written standard on how to transition to the stance for move 5, so i will confirm that today as well. No written standard for Backfist chamber either.... So I will ask my instructor. I will work on the knife hand chambering.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yul Guk Same caveat. No Tension 1&3 . Hooking Blocks look like Knifehand Blocks Bending ready stance is not slow. Punch with Side Piercing Kick should be high - eye level. Can't tell if chamber on outer forearm or back fist is correct due to rear view. High Double forarm block should move across the body like most blocks not from close in to forward.

! and 3 are slow punches for us, the itf just does kind of an arm lift measure, correct? Ok, so the hooking blocks, I did them with the hand turned over, and my instructor corrected me and said I need more "C-Grip", so I assuming our standard calls for our hand to look like a 'C'. Bending stance is super super sloppy, I was just being lazy and didn't want to get off balanced. Will work on High Double Forearm Block.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Choon Moo caveat same as before , same techniques as other patterns same comments. . Jump with side Piercing kick - Not land and then kick . From U shape block to spin and knife hand guarding block, block should move across body opposite direction of spin whn you land. Rear foot should land in same place #12 Upward kick with knee. Hands grab head and pull down as knee impacts solar plexus. Hands and knee will never meet. Try this - Have someone stand in front of you in more or less a parallel stance. You are in a walking stance like the pattern. Be close enough to grab their head like the pattern. Don't move lead foot like the pattern. Try to bring your knee to their head. # 28 is an upward block with palm. Looks like you are thrusting your hands forward.

So I kick in the air and land in double-knifehand block? Yeah I'll have to practice the chambering after the 360 jump spin, I can at least land the jump, most of our people fall trying it. For the upward knee strike I need to confirm if we teach the strike to Solar Plexus or head. How do you do move #28?

Th0mas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Make all your techniques count. By that I mean perform them with full intent. The form should demonstrate your technique at its most optimum (with no messy opponent to get in the way). Judging from what you are displaying I don't think you would fight your way out of a paper bag! Sorry to be harsh, but that is the impression I am getting from the video.

I am not a TKD practitioner, however I think the principle should apply to all solo forms practice.

Th0mas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Apologies, let me clarify what I mean. Even when performing the pattern slowly, each technique should have intent, as if you were actually trying to strike your opponent.

Clearly when learning the form, getting used to the body mechanics and timing then your technique won't be at its best. However once your familiarity with the pattern is sufficient, EVERY TIME, you practice it, do it with fighting intent, not necessarily speed, but as if you were fighting. visualise in your mind what you are doing. Else it is just a bad dance with some kicks thrown in.