Tabi question...

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just wondering if anybody has experience with the zippered jikatabi from Takarazuka Designs? They're being sold through eBay and look alright/reasonably priced but of course with online auctions one cannot always be assured of quality.

Domo.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can't seem to find Takarazuka Designs, though I won't lie, I didn't look all that hard :p could you put a link up from their site, eBay or otherwise?

OP
Indagator

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tanaka are you saying these would be no good for training with?Why is that?I don't know how to tell lol.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tanaka are you saying these would be no good for training with?Why is that?I don't know how to tell lol.
I don't see how they are good or not good as far as martial arts training.
I guess it depends on where you are training. Outside or on Mats?

OP
Indagator

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't see how they are good or not good as far as martial arts training.I guess it depends on where you are training. Outside or on Mats?
Ok. I don't think I understand what you meant about the work boots?We train outside pretty much all of the time.

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Those are (if I'm not mistaken) jika-tabi, and are commonly used by fishermen to gain better purchase on rocks and such in their line of work. It's not really a ninja thing, strictly speaking.
That said, I own a pair myself, and if I'm training outside, I'll grab them out sometimes, adds a bit of a ninja feel to it all :p but overall, I wouldn't really say they're necessary, just another option.

kegage

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a pair of the jika-tabi, and use them for training all the time. very comfortable, light, and good traction. I am a diabetic and need to wear them both in and outdoors. Kevin

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jika Tabi (地下足袋) are, pretty literally, "socks for the ground" (actually, the kanji for "tabi", 足袋, literally refer to "foot bags/sleeves"... gotta love that!), meaning that they are designed for outside wear. Typically they are split toed boots with a soft top and rubber sole, and are very popular amongst Japanese construction workers. A US company has marketed a version of them for fishermen as well.

With regard to the ones you linked, they seem fine. The only real difference is the way they seal up, from what I can see. If you do a fair bit of outdoor training, then they could be fine, if it's all indoors, then maybe not. In Japanese arts they are not considered correct wear for indoors training (although I am relatively lenient on that myself, I would prefer that they are not worn... but can appreciate their use in regards to being closer to hard soled shoes worn on the street. Personally, for indoors shoed training, I'd go with either regular tabi, or TKD, or Kung Fu-style training shoes).

OP
Indagator

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everybody. Jikatabi are part of the required uniform where I train, and as I mentioned earlier pretty much all of our training is done outside - rain hail or shine which can make it interesting.As an aside I remember winter last year we trained outside during a thunderstorm - it was a truly beautiful experience to train with the lightning crashing around in the skies above us!I've ordered a pair of these tabi as it sounds like they'll do the trick.Interesting about the workers and fishermen using them, I hadn't been aware of that.

OP
Indagator

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well the "foot bags" (hehehe gotta love it) are doing well. I'd recommend them if anybody else wants to know if they're decent or not.

Latest Discussions