Systema vs. Kenpo (yeah right.)

OP
G

GouRonin

One of the reasons I have responded well to Systema is the absence of terms regarding motion.

American Kenpo has about a billion names for it's techniques. Yes i know they have their code and all and I understand it but Systema is based more in a motion recognition theme of both visual and other perceptions.

I myself am a very visual oriented person. I see something and I can monkey it easily. Then when it's explained what i am doing i grasp it even better.

I have always had trouble remembering technique names. For example...Jaybacca asked about a technique name the other night. I shrugged. He started the motion and instantly I knew what he was doing. (In retrospect I love it when he gets insights and shows me better ways to WORK a technique)

So while for some people labelling everything but the kitchen sink is great in a system for others it's harder to deal with. (Yes, that scar on my scalp is from head trauma...shut up) The Tracy system of Kenpo might be well near impossible for me to learn based on an auditory system of teaching. Systema has been a dream for me.

This is one thing that has always bugged me about American Kenpo. I think it's a great system. However many instructors feel that they know what the student is experiencing in their journey of learning. However, I would like to point out that they do not. No instructor can say they KNOW what a student will do. For the most part they can accurately predict what will happen but there are a few of us out here who learn differently, and experience things in ways you just don't know.

I don't give a %$#@ to test in front of people. I don't do well that way. Set me off in a ring and I'm fine though. I also KNOW for a fact that my Kenpo works. I've defended myself with it. Because I don't do well in a test it I don't know what I am doing? I'm one of those particular students that doesn't fit the mold. Perhaps it's a learning disability, maybe not. I've seen guys who can rattle off terms till the cows come home who fall apart in the ring. What's that disability called? Application disability?

My advice to some instructors is "Forget what should be." Drop your egos and learn yourself how to teach the system in another manner you might never have thought about.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very good and honest post.

You are correct in the assumption that many instructors do now "feel what you feel" and to that they need to understand where you are coming from. On the other hand..... they may realize that and become aware of other "ticks" they have discovered and are working on helping you rid yourself of the shyness or inability to conquer nervous problems that you possibly have, or what ever the issue is.

Thats why you cant be jumping around from instructor to instructor all your life because no one really knows what you need because you never stay in one place too long. I know in your case Gou, this has not been totally your fault.

You have a good head on your shoulders and you have a deep love for Kenpo and I know that. This other Art has a glow that is useful for you at this time so ........ have fun. Remember .... You'll leave Kenpo....... long before it ever leaves you.... and you already have too much in your blood to discount its validity. So, enjoy other adventures and learn all you can...... bottom line is you are still learning and studying.. so when we get together you can demonstrate what you have on me. We can play and examine the treasures we find.

:asian:

OP
G

GouRonin

You know I always enjoy learning new things. But you were not "listening" to what I was "saying" and as a result you missed the thrust of my post.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got it. hee hee....... I can read through the smoke...... lol....... very good post still.

Don't worry about me, I still luv ya and undstand where you are coming from and where you stand.

:asian:

OP
G

GouRonin

That post wasn't meant for you for pete's sake!

You either Billy...:D

OP
K

KenpoGirl

IS THAT REALLY YOU DUTCH???? You pain in the Butt. :iws:

Geeze I thought someone had finally kicked your *** outta town.
I heard rumours this past weekend at the O.K.K.A Kenpo Camp that you were around again.

Try to behave this time. You're giving us Londoners a bad name!!! :2xbird:

I'll have to say the systema I saw on Sunday was wild.
You'd have to have a lot of confidence in yourself to relax that much to let a punch or attack "flow" around you.

I'll enjoy learning more, but I'll still stick with Kenpo, once I've got a handle on that I'll see what else there is to learn.

Dot

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by KenpoGirl

I'll have to say the systema I saw on Sunday was wild.
You'd have to have a lot of confidence in yourself to relax that much to let a punch or attack "flow" around you.
I'll enjoy learning more, but I'll still stick with Kenpo, once I've got a handle on that I'll see what else there is to learn.

It's funny. The more I see systema, the more I want to do it.

OP
T

tunetigress

Would someone kindly explain the concept of relaxation as it applies to Kenpo? Respectfully, _(_)_ Tune

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by tunetigress
Would someone kindly explain the concept of relaxation as it applies to Kenpo?

Too many Kenpoists are tense. They need to relax. There is more power to a technique such as "Thundering Hammers" if you relax and let momentum carry the strike.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Dutch

Why don't you just take ballet Gou?

Actually Gou, Jaybacca, Kenpo Viking, Renegade and myself along with our buddy Sita went to the ballet last weekend and luckily Gou wasn't dancing. But there was this one blond .......

Its all Pat's(Uncle Chocolate) fault.

Latest Discussions