Sword regulation in the UK

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't visit any so I didn't see any sheep.

London is actually remarkably green for such a large city, nearly 50% of it is actually green space. It has many parks ( so many in fact there is a Park Police Force), a lot of them are very big, one of them has a huge zoo. There are also a lot of 'commons', huge open green areas, Wimbledon Common may be the best known as well as heathland. There's also stables in a lot of boroughs as well as the farms.
Commons and Heaths in London - Things To Do - visitlondon.com

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know that handguns are practically impossible to legally get in the UK but how about swords? I do know swords played a big role in the history and traditions of the UK so I would hope they aren't too regulated.

Your question intrigued me so I decided to do some "research"

You know what is amazing.... simple webfu....now I understand I am an IT guy so I know a little more than the average bear when it comes to things computer...so using a little know search engine called Google and using obscure terms like "are swords legal in the uk" I discovered in seconds that in 2008 there was legislation concerning any bladded weapon over 50cm (1 feet and 7.68504 inches)

New UK Sword Legislation - FAQ

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your question intrigued me so I decided to do some "research"

You know what is amazing.... simple webfu....now I understand I am an IT guy so I know a little more than the average bear when it comes to things computer...so using a little know search engine called Google and using obscure terms like "are swords legal in the uk" I discovered in seconds that in 2008 there was legislation concerning any bladded weapon over 50cm (1 feet and 7.68504 inches)

New UK Sword Legislation - FAQ

Yes, but he is bound to know a guy that knows that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've just had the General Election, the government is fixed for the next five years more or less, no one campaigned about blades ( or guns) it's a non issue here, the right people have their swords and weapons, the wrong people get arrested. Try to bring bladed weapons here and I bet you won't even get to leave your own country, the airlines won't take you for a start.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've just had the General Election, the government is fixed for the next five years more or less, no one campaigned about blades ( or guns) it's a non issue here, the right people have their swords and weapons, the wrong people get arrested. Try to bring bladed weapons here and I bet you won't even get to leave your own country, the airlines won't take you for a start.

I only know one person who any blades or swords. Not exactly ubiquitous, so not sure why PG posted anyway. As XS stated, a quick Google search did the trick. Mind you, labour have fallen on a few Swords though.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If I understand the law correctly, and I admit I may not, if you had a bladed weapons collection prior to the law going into effect, you could keep it. Is that correct?

But walking down the street wearing your prize 1803 English Infantry Officers sabre or going down to the pub to show your friends your Scottish Claymore Long Swords was right out.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I understand the law correctly, and I admit I may not, if you had a bladed weapons collection prior to the law going into effect, you could keep it. Is that correct?

But walking down the street wearing your prize 1803 English Infantry Officers sabre or going down to the pub to show your friends your Scottish Claymore Long Swords was right out.

Well it depends, military officers can still walk around wearing their swords, they did last weekend where I live plus the non commissioned soldiers were carrying lances. Wearing or carrying swords openly though will get you into strife, normally with the police, carrying an English sword in certain parts of the country would get you lynched regardless of which century it was!
You can carry swords as long as they are well 'wrapped' up, it's popular in Scotland to use a claymore ( sword not mine) to cut weddings cakes etc. there's still plenty of swords around, no one has had to get rid of them, collectors are especially careful about their bladed weapons for insurance reasons as much as any legalities.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swords and lances at Richmond Castle last Saturday, it was bloody freezing lol. the castle would have seen a fair few swords in it's time, it was built by the Normans.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It seems I have a terribly dirty mind. That was not what I thought of when I read "Ladies Sword" ! :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems I have a terribly dirty mind. That was not what I thought of when I read "Ladies Sword" ! :)
giphy.gif

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Photon Guy, that is Saudi Arabia; probably the furthest away in terms of society and culture from North Western Europe as you could get....

Latest Discussions