Sword cuts names

B'Dragon

White Belt
Reaction score
Lately, I have been working on a kata that involves all eight cuts I found in an old Iaido book. But the names are a bit confusing to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is what I think the correct names are; all cuts are viewed from the nage or practioner point of view:

Shomen Uchi - vertical overhead strike (high to low)
hidari kesa giri - from upper left to diagonally lower right
hidari ichimonji giri - horizontal cut left to right
hidari joho giri - from lower left to diagonally upper right
kiri age - vertical upper cut (low to high)
migi joho giri - from lower right to diagonally upper left
migi ichimonji giri - horizontal right to left
migi kesa giri - from upper right to diagonally lower left

Don't know if this explains it well, but this is the best I can do for now.
Any help appreciated.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given that your profile says that you've been practising Aikido for 20 years, I am sure that you can guess what the pre-ambling answer is going to be from those of us who train in the swords arts :D.

By no means do I wish to discourage investigation on your part but it really would be best for you to seek out a qualified Iai sensei rather than piece things together on your own.

That said, I think you were after the correct names for the cuts? If so, it should be noted that some ryu call things by different names but, as you've guessed, generally cuts are typified by their depth or their direction (which in turn tends to be dictated by the stance the cut is executed from).

Last edited:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
More importantly, what book?
Unless you have years into an art, books are for reference, not learning.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lately, I have been working on a kata that involves all eight cuts I found in an old Iaido book. But the names are a bit confusing to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is what I think the correct names are; all cuts are viewed from the nage or practioner point of view:

Shomen Uchi - vertical overhead strike (high to low)
hidari kesa giri - from upper left to diagonally lower right
hidari ichimonji giri - horizontal cut left to right
hidari joho giri - from lower left to diagonally upper right
kiri age - vertical upper cut (low to high)
migi joho giri - from lower right to diagonally upper left
migi ichimonji giri - horizontal right to left
migi kesa giri - from upper right to diagonally lower left

Don't know if this explains it well, but this is the best I can do for now.
Any help appreciated.

As said, different schools (Ryu, organisations in some cases as well) will have different names for the same cut... for example, your first one, Shomen Uchi, I have come across about half a dozen names off the top of my head, each meaning slightly different things. Same with kamae. But if you are after any more detail to ascertain that you are categorising them properly, let's see:

Shomen Uchi: Commonly also refered to as Shomen Giri, or sometimes just Men Giri (although other names such as Suichyoko Giri for the Hontai Yoshin Ryu, and KaraTake Wari in the KJJR), this simply refers to striking (Uchi) the top of the head (Sho Men), or head (Men).

Hidari Kesa Giri: As I'm sure you're aware, hidari just means left, and kiri/giri is cut, so there's no need to go through these each time. The Kesa aspect refers to a particular Buddhist robe, which was/is worn off one shoulder, running down from the left shoulder to the right hip. This cut follows that line (Kesa Giri, Cut along the Kesa).

Hidari Ichimonji Giri: Many times in these arts the indication of left or right tells which side the movement comes from (from the performers point of view), although that by no means is universal. Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu, for instance, names it's kata in the opposite fashion, with Hasso Hidari cutting from right to left, in this case it refers to cutting the opponents left side. Here, though, it seems more "regular", in that "hidari" means the movement comes from your left. Ichimonji refers to the Japanese character for a the number one, which is represented by a single, straight, horizontal line. So this is a straight horizontal cut from the left side.

Hidari Joho Kiri: Joho refers to an upwards direction (Jo - up, Ho - direction), so this is a cut upwards from the left.

Kiri Age: Kiri Age literally means "lifting cut", and is often simply the opposite of Joho Giri in that it comes from the right. Some schools will use the same name for both sides of the body, as the concepts of the cut are the same, and others (as here) will make a distinction to differentiate the changing and moving grip and angle due to the sword being held with the right hand on top. Here, however, you seem to be doing a direct cut (vertically) upwards. Gotta say, that's rare to my mind. Too much risk of hitting your kissaki on the ground on the way through, and it's frankly not a powerful cut due to the mechanics. Might want to rethink that one.

Migi Joho Kiri: As said, this is basically just the same as Hidari Joho Giri (or, often, Kiri Age), but from the right (Migi - right).

Migi Ichimonji Kiri: Straight horizontal cut from the right (Migi).

Migi Kesa Giri: Again, simply Kesa Giri from the right. You may note, though, that because the Kesa was always worn giving the target line from the left shoulder, a number of schools won't refer to this a Kesa, or may refer to it as Gyaku Kesa Giri (reverse Kesa Giri), or another name altogether.

The one you're missing (and what typically makes up a Happo Giri, or Eight Direction/Methods Cutting drill) is Tsuke, or thrusting. Most typically, the "eight cuts" are:

Straight down.
Diagonally down from the left.
Diagonally down from the right.
Horozontally from the left (or horozontally aimed at the neck).
Horozontally from the right (or horizontally aimed at the body).
Diagonally up from the left.
Diagonally up from the right.
Thrust (which may be standing, using one hand, or in a half-kneel).

One thing that I'm not sure of, though, is that you say you are working on a kata that includes these cuts, is this a kata that you have developed yourself, or one from this old book? If it is something that you have developed yourself, and you are asking these types of questions, frankly, get a teacher who knows the sword, ideally Iai or Kenjutsu in some form (rather than Kendo.... not disparaging the Kendo guys, but it's fairly removed from actual swordwork other than the Kendo no Kata). Iaido or Iaijutsu (Koryu) doesn't matter too much, Kenjutsu, well, Koryu would be the big recommendation. Other than that, if this isn't what you were after, ask any question you have.

Latest Discussions