Sword and hammer pt. 1 and 2

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chris doesn't have a valid point and can't have a valid point. Just some--not all--of the Kenpo Principles that I see in my Sword and Hammer and even some in the more common expression are:

he does. you may not wish to acknowledge it. but he does.

Borrowed Reach
Anatomical Strike
Circular/Linear Plane Strikes
Collapsible Defense
Contouring
Kenpo Body Whip/Kinetic Wave
Simultaneous Strikes
Cross Checking
Point of Origin
Body Manipulation [ manipulates the body so anatomical targets present themselves ]
Obscure Zone
Marriage of Gravity
Borrowed Force
Pinning/Checking
Position Recognition
Leverage [ also present in Submission Holds and Takedowns ]
Settling
HWD Manipulation
Positional Check [ standing and on the ground ]

More coming. Gtg now.

This looks like a list of terms you've taken from Parker's Encyclopedia of Kenpo. I've never actually read it, but I suspect these are in there. Listing a bunch of terms tells me nothing. It doesn't even tell me that you know what they mean.

I'm looking for real answers, not quotes from others, not footnotes, not lists of undefined terms. I don't even want definitions of these, rather I want to know how these "principles" fit into your S&H and make that tech work. I do not believe that most of these are even principles. Rather, they are strategies that can be useful under certain circumstances, but most of them are not principles, which would be a driving concept that is found throughout the system, in nearly every technique, as a fundamental way of doing things. That's not the same as a situational strategy.

I've seen way too many people throw out terms from Parker's encyclopedia, or the Infinite Insights series, and think that is an answer. It is not. It is simply parroting and only shows that you can deflect the question without answering it. I'm asking you to convince me that you know what you say you do.

If you throw a basic punch, please describe for me where the power comes from. In your own words.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In order of your questions, my answers are:

Yeah, I'll have to head over to KT and ask.

[video=youtube_share;OPe2692PsM8]http://youtu.be/OPe2692PsM8[/video]

Sad, really, really, REALLY sad! Still not sure why you'd give someone a crash course and expect them to know what the **** is going on. Its like the blind leading the blind Ras, it really is.

Oh..so, I may not get a straight answer? Kinda defeats the purpose doesnt it? Anyways, I'll ask.

Note that I said little change. Sure, of course, Tatum, Palanzo, Planas all in a room together, yeah, you'd probably see some subtle differences, but my point is, you'd be able to look at that and say, "Yup, he's doing (insert any tech here)" It would be fairly recognizeable I'd imagine. If everything was so different, then again, at a seminar, nobody would remotely be on the same page. You'd spend 3/4 of the class reteaching just so everybody would know what the hell was going on...lol.

And since we're posting clips...

[yt]XvsRavUJ9O0&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLB521BAB42789E259[/yt]

[yt]2iB5nlIeZR8[/yt]

Gee...looks the same to me. :D Subtle differences? Sure, possibly, but again, you have 2 very similar things, which if people from each respective school, were all at the same damn seminar, those things would look the same and be recognizeable by all there.

Real quick cuz I'm doing other stuff now...but I think that Doc would be able to give you a satisfactory answer without breaking out the meat and potatoes of his curriculum. I got the impression that color belts aren't allowed to stray or go WHAT IF with Doc and that's cool...but I think Doc will answer if you ask.

Insofar as the seminar analogies that we're using are concerned? I'm saying...we can find the whole gamut in a seminar. Techs with no difference than what we learned, little difference than what we learned, moderately different and greatly different than what we learned. This is a good thing imo. Perhaps if we don't recognize a tech? We can open our minds that much further to now recognize what was unrecognizable to us previously.

I think that would be a good thing.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
he does. you may not wish to acknowledge it. but he does.

This looks like a list of terms you've taken from Parker's Encyclopedia of Kenpo. I've never actually read it, but I suspect these are in there. Listing a bunch of terms tells me nothing. It doesn't even tell me that you know what they mean.

I'm looking for real answers, not quotes from others, not footnotes, not lists of undefined terms. I don't even want definitions of these, rather I want to know how these "principles" fit into your S&H and make that tech work. I do not believe that most of these are even principles. Rather, they are strategies that can be useful under certain circumstances, but most of them are not principles, which would be a driving concept that is found throughout the system, in nearly every technique, as a fundamental way of doing things. That's not the same as a situational strategy.

I've seen way too many people throw out terms from Parker's encyclopedia, or the Infinite Insights series, and think that is an answer. It is not. It is simply parroting and only shows that you can deflect the question without answering it. I'm asking you to convince me that you know what you say you do.

If you throw a basic punch, please describe for me where the power comes from. In your own words.

Chris doesn't have a point. He doesn't have a point because his position comes from swearing [ and being wrong about ] the combat viability in a noncombat model which was never supposed to be a SD tech and therefore cannot work exactly as shown in a SD situation and then compounded his mistake by failing to recognize the combat viability of a sequence that works exactly and precisely as shown in the relevant combat situation. There is no argument that can ennoble his position with even a scintilla of accuracy for that very reason. His position is irrevocably compromised, perpetually untrue.

I too have seen people spout esoteric Kenpo-ese with zero practical combat application and zero linking of the two, so I understand you there.

Now, the question about throwing a basic punch does NOT have a basic answer. The depths I can take this answer depends upon how deep an answer you want. I happen to be very good at providing in-depth answers here, but I'll give you an uncomplicated answer rightaboutnow.

I tend to blend what many people think of as boxing mechanics with Kenpo Body Whip aka Kinetic Wave mechanics with every punch or hand strike or block etc etc that I use. Go from 4:41-4:48 of this video:

[video=youtube_share;DBzTmP6bTDQ]http://youtu.be/DBzTmP6bTDQ[/video]

I specifically mention the Kenpo Body Whip that powers my strikes. I've done this numerous times throughout my videos and essentially what's being done is linking the proper timing of breath inhalation and exhalation, generating curvilinear wave-like power from my entire lower body starting with my legs as they drive down on the ground and propels me forward, and I marry that forward momentum with the linking of the rest of my body's structure into delivering whatever strike to whatever target. You see similar dynamics in boxers and the point fighting blitz and various African martial arts and Muay Thai too. Also in Shaolin Kempo. Many arts display similar power generating principles and mechanics.

That's a very simplistic answer above. I know it is. It's just that the answer is more complex than it might appear because the human body is more complex than most of us know. Almost every movement or strike, for instance, has some kind of counter motion or load to it, even when it doesn't seem that way because the loading and countermovement or bioelectrical and muscular activation is so difficult to detect. Lifting your left hand, for instance, requires your whole right side to contract and balance in a specific way, although you're not aware of that. You just know that you keep your balance when you raise your left hand...but your whole body is responding in a specific way so that your balance isn't disturbed when you raise your left hand.

But if you notice, the movement I initiated doesn't end with just my hand strikes. My whole body...including my head...follows a wave-like movement that doesn't even halt when the blow is landed, but instead takes the power of the landed blow, its retraction, and has that energy stored and primed with yet another wave of potential kinetic power from yet another strike I may choose to throw with very very very minimal pause. If I were to throw a 5 or 10 punch salvo AT you, you wouldn't see more than 3 of them due to its great speed,and the power generated is such that the conflict would be over [ if I landed ] no later than the 2nd shot. This is how Kenpoists are able to unleash such devastating hurricanes of strikes within such a short period of time, even from very very close quarters [ chest to chest ].

The easiest, quickest thing I can do is show you videos of me putting these techs and ideas into action. You should be able to see that I know what I'm doing and marry the fact THAT I'M DOING IT with the explanations that I give and that should speedily resolve the matter. Michael Phelps shouldn't have to go into a kinesiological treatise to prove that he knows how to swim fast; he knows enough of how to make the principles work and marry that academic knowledge with the practical knowledge of actually performing in order to make his suggestions about technique execution carry weight. I'm not suggesting that I'm the Michael Phelps of Kenpo, but I do have videos of me striking powerfully and properly and I am offering explanations kept deliberately brief and moderately shallow for the purposes of brevity; I'm trying to avoid swamping you with academic or esoteric language.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chris doesn't have a point.

again, he does. You may not wish to acknowledge it, but he does.

I too have seen people spout esoteric Kenpo-ese with zero practical combat application and zero linking of the two, so I understand you there.

so do you have an answer regarding all those terms?

Now, the question about throwing a basic punch does NOT have a basic answer. The depths I can take this answer depends upon how deep an answer you want. I happen to be very good at providing in-depth answers here, but I'll give you an uncomplicated answer rightaboutnow.

I tend to blend what many people think of as boxing mechanics with Kenpo Body Whip aka Kinetic Wave mechanics with every punch or hand strike or block etc etc that I use. Go from 4:41-4:48 of this video:

[video=youtube_share;DBzTmP6bTDQ]http://youtu.be/DBzTmP6bTDQ[/video]

I specifically mention the Kenpo Body Whip that powers my strikes. I've done this numerous times throughout my videos and essentially what's being done is linking the proper timing of breath inhalation, generating curvilinear power from the my entire lower body starting with my legs as they drive down on the ground and propels me forward, and I marry that forward momentum with the linking of the rest of my body's structure into delivering whatever strike to whatever target. You see similar dynamics in boxers and the point fighting blitz and various African martial arts and Muay Thai too. Also in Shaolin Kempo. Many arts have display similar power generating mechanics.

OK, again, I am at work and cannot view video. When I go home, I seldom have the time to go back and watch video. So I'm not interested in video. I'm interested in what you are able to describe.

the above bolded portion is hitting the target. Is there more? I don't want a treatise on biomechanics, but in layman's terms is there more to it than that?

The rest of what you posted is just telling me what you are able to tell me, without actually telling me anything. If you've got something to tell me, THEN TELL ME.

thanks.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
again, he does. You may not wish to acknowledge it, but he does.

so do you have an answer regarding all those terms?

OK, again, I am at work and cannot view video. When I go home, I seldom have the time to go back and watch video. So I'm not interested in video. I'm interested in what you are able to describe.

the above bolded portion is hitting the target. Is there more? I don't want a treatise on biomechanics, but in layman's terms is there more to it than that?

The rest of what you posted is just telling me what you are able to tell me, without actually telling me anything. If you've got something to tell me, THEN TELL ME.

thanks.

K. Let's agree to disagree as to whether or not Chris has a point...and let's try this:

Every single movement and every single stance that it comes from links the whole body in a nonstop flow of power. That's what the Kenpo Body Whip aka Kinetic Wave does.

For me? If I throw any strike, I'll generate the power by use of a full body curvilinear kinetic wave. That means the power is a combination of coordinated exhalation and inhalation, power drawn up from the base through both legs working together and amplifying the movement. This means I'll drive from either leg and magnify the power by having my other leg kick in just at the midpoint of energy transference.The hips, waist [ it's essential essential essential that you have waist power ] and rotating core kick in, my arms stay loose and untensed, uncorking and adding the boxing delivery method to the power of the cross that I'm throwing. That means that there's full rotation, the upper body is stabilized, the right shoulder moves forward and settles directly in front of my chin [ protecting me from a 'pull-over'...meaning a counter shot over or under my right arm aimed at my chin ], my forward movement and lead foot doesn't touch the ground yet, the blow hits and penetrates 3-4 inches through the target and retracts with twice the speed and power that it went out with. My foot doesn't touch ground until AFTER the shot lands. The landing and penetration of any shot coincides with the full exhalation of my blow,and that movement alone aligns my body to fire any other form of offensives and/or takedowns that I want. Same with weapons, submission holds, blocks, parries, whatever. Any weapon.

The Kinetic Wave combines this movement in a curvilinear way, like a wave and whip's movement combined into a single penetrating and self perpetuating motion.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i have seen video of matt damon tearing guys up. if you cant explain it, you dont know it.

Seen Joe Louis aka "The Brown Bomber" smash many a person in the ring. Same with John L. Sullivan. Same with "Little Perpetual Motion" Henry Armstrong. Haven't seen them expound on a single boxing principle. Are you saying they don't know boxing?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
K. Let's agree to disagree as to whether or not Chris has a point...and let's try this:

Every single movement and every single stance that it comes from links the whole body in a nonstop flow of power. That's what the Kenpo Body Whip aka Kinetic Wave does.

For me? If I throw any strike, I'll generate the power by use of a full body curvilinear kinetic wave. That means the power is a combination of coordinated exhalation and inhalation, power drawn up from the base through both legs working together and amplifying the movement. This means I'll drive from either leg and magnify the power by having my other leg kick in just at the midpoint of energy transference.The hips, waist [ it's essential essential essential that you have waist power ] and rotating core kick in, my arms stay loose and untensed, uncorking and adding the boxing delivery method to the power of the cross that I'm throwing. That means that there's full rotation, the upper body is stabilized, the right shoulder moves forward and settles directly in front of my chin [ protecting me from a 'pull-over'...meaning a counter shot over or under my right arm aimed at my chin ], my forward movement and lead foot doesn't touch the ground yet, the blow hits and penetrates 3-4 inches through the target and retracts with twice the speed and power that it went out with. My foot doesn't touch ground until AFTER the shot lands. The landing and penetration of any shot coincides with the full exhalation of my blow,and that movement alone aligns my body to fire any other form of offensives and/or takedowns that I want. Same with weapons, submission holds, blocks, parries, whatever. Any weapon.

The Kinetic Wave combines this movement in a curvilinear way, like a wave and whip's movement combined into a single penetrating and self perpetuating motion.

thank you, that's the kind of information I was hoping to see.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris doesn't have a valid point and can't have a valid point. There is no standard Sword and Hammer. None. There never was and there never will be. Period. Any analysis that even implies a different state of affairs is fundamentally flawed, and shows thereby that it cannot be trusted. The sooner this simple fact is grasped, the sooner we can dispense with comparing my expression to a standard which does not exist and which Mr. Parker specifically ensured does NOT exist. FC, MJS...you guys are very smart. Divest yourself of all previous erroneous information, and START with this point: there is no Standard Sword and Hammer. With that being grasped? There's no "standard" that my Gym's tech [ or anyone else's tech ] has to adhere to except the following:

a) The Ideal Phase Analytical Technique PROCESS

b) The strictures of STARTING with the the "common street attack that you wish to analyze"...but not being LIMITED to it [ the attack can morph into other attacks launched from the initial platform ]

c) employing the handsword and hammerfist [ but not being limited to ONLY the handsword and hammerfist ] and the relevant Kenpo principles in the resolution of this scenario

d) The relevant Kenpo principles are actually more deeply experienced in the functional execution of ANY expression of Sword and Hammer or any Kenpo tech. The key requirement is FUNCTIONALITY

e) Since most Kenpo schools fail to understand The Ideal Phase Analytical Technique PROCESS, they also miss out on all or most of the benefits of employing that process

Just some--not all--of the Kenpo Principles that I see in my Sword and Hammer and even some in the more common expression are:

Borrowed Reach
Anatomical Strike
Circular/Linear Plane Strikes
Collapsible Defense
Contouring
Kenpo Body Whip/Kinetic Wave
Simultaneous Strikes
Cross Checking
Point of Origin
Body Manipulation [ manipulates the body so anatomical targets present themselves ]
Obscure Zone
Marriage of Gravity
Borrowed Force
Pinning/Checking
Position Recognition
Leverage [ also present in Submission Holds and Takedowns ]
Settling
HWD Manipulation
Positional Check [ standing and on the ground ]

More coming. Gtg now.

I still want to know why then, do the vast majority of schools all teach the same darn things..lol. Since that is a fact, it would seem to me that there is a standard. Unless all those schools dont know what they're doing, but I find that hard to believe because one of those schools is Tatums. According to Clyde, Larry spent alot of time with Parker.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Real quick cuz I'm doing other stuff now...but I think that Doc would be able to give you a satisfactory answer without breaking out the meat and potatoes of his curriculum. I got the impression that color belts aren't allowed to stray or go WHAT IF with Doc and that's cool...but I think Doc will answer if you ask.

I'm going to ask. :)

Insofar as the seminar analogies that we're using are concerned? I'm saying...we can find the whole gamut in a seminar. Techs with no difference than what we learned, little difference than what we learned, moderately different and greatly different than what we learned. This is a good thing imo. Perhaps if we don't recognize a tech? We can open our minds that much further to now recognize what was unrecognizable to us previously.

I think that would be a good thing.

To be honest, I've never seen anything in which I looked at it and said, "Umm...what the hell are you doing?" when I've been to a seminar/camp. Again, slight differences? Sure, but it was still recognizeable.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Quick question....is the stuff you describe just limited to the way you perform your stuff, or do you feel that its in...or not...the Kenpo techs already? I ask this because I've personally seen people that I know, do techs and frankly, they look like ****! No power, nothing. When I had my inst. come down from Jersey, it was amazing watching...and feeling..lol..the way he'd do his stuff.

Interestinly enough, a guy that trained at one of my old schools, was big into Tai Chi. I always liked working with him, because he'd add in alot of Tai Chi movement, so his stuff had alot of power, and he'd always move you..lol.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
because they knew kenpo and were taught the techniques by ed parker

ras wasnt. he doesnt know the techniques or what they are designed to teach

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Quick question....is the stuff you describe just limited to the way you perform your stuff, or do you feel that its in...or not...the Kenpo techs already? I ask this because I've personally seen people that I know, do techs and frankly, they look like ****! No power, nothing. When I had my inst. come down from Jersey, it was amazing watching...and feeling..lol..the way he'd do his stuff.

Interestinly enough, a guy that trained at one of my old schools, was big into Tai Chi. I always liked working with him, because he'd add in alot of Tai Chi movement, so his stuff had alot of power, and he'd always move you..lol.

The Kinetic Wave is a principle of movement that can be used by anyone and any sport. I see lotsa Kenpo guys do it too but I almost never see anyone TEACH it.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seen Joe Louis aka "The Brown Bomber" smash many a person in the ring. Same with John L. Sullivan. Same with "Little Perpetual Motion" Henry Armstrong. Haven't seen them expound on a single boxing principle. Are you saying they don't know boxing?

Uh... Joe Louis wrote a whole book on it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1581607156

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder...maybe Kenpo would be better off if it was like Kaju and not so technique based. Seems that that is the main issue...that we have so many God damn techs in the system, plus the 'extensions' which make up all the more. Hundreds upon hundreds of techs, that the die hards say we have to drill into ourselves.

So, I will have to do some looking, because the last time I saw this was YEARS ago. But I distinctly remember an interview with Ed Parker where he said that the point of all those techs is to teach the principles of kempo (sorry. KENPO!), and there were so many so that you didn't get Hung up on the techniques themselves, but instead on the principles they taught.

I will see if I can find it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, I will have to do some looking, because the last time I saw this was YEARS ago. But I distinctly remember an interview with Ed Parker where he said that the point of all those techs is to teach the principles of kempo (sorry. KENPO!), and there were so many so that you didn't get Hung up on the techniques themselves, but instead on the principles they taught.

LOL...yeah, thats what I'd tell the people that I'd teach. Something that I always use as an example....years ago, I was doing a technique line. I'd call out attacks and have the person in the middle defend. From time to time, I'd intentionally call out an attack in which I knew they didn't have a preset defense for. 99% of the time, they'd stand there and say that they didn't know a tech for that attack. I'd ask them if they knew how to move, block, punch, kick, etc. They'd say yes. I'd say, Good then do it! It was nice seeing the light go off in their head. :)

This is also why I feel that we dont need 100+ techs. My God, there's a tech for every single attack out there. Why not take the basics, and form your own? Why have a tech if the badguy does a right step thru punch, another if he does a right cross, another if he does a step thru but you're standing with your left leg forward, another if your right is forward, another if this, another if that....LOL. Stupid IMO. There're attacks out there that I dont see a preset kenpo defense for, so in that case, I'd imagine they'd have to come up with a response. See my point? :) If they have to do it for those situations.....

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i have said it 100 times, you need the techniques to learn the lessons, but once you learn the lessons, you dont need the techniques

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I recall him making a similar movement in pursuit of a vocabulary of movement, changing the meaning of "words of movement" and forming "phrases and sentences". He would take one tech and express it one way in one movement and do a different movement or sometimes THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what's in the technique and explain why it makes sense.

Contrary to the claims of my detractors, my position and expression is in full lockstep with what Mr. Parker said. Observe Mr. Parker talking about Short One in a seminar, showing the tech in the form, and then...because "now it's a street situation...I'm scared, I don't step back I step forward and booop! Dammit I broke his nose..." or something like that.

[video=youtube_share;6SIQ7ONlE1I]http://youtu.be/6SIQ7ONlE1I[/video]

The deeper you delve into the movements, the more universally you apply the techniques, the deeper more comprehensive more interconnected more intuitive more capable more knowledgeable your Kenpo and straight up movement knowledge is. This is what pract icing the movements over and over against resistance, against multiple stimuli, forces you to grasp. You grasp it better faster deeper and more thoroughly than other training models tend to offer because the lack the multiple stimuli, the forced times where you have to cogitate, reflect, make connections, adjustments, study not only Kenpo but the sciences of movement and high performance in all of their interrelated glory...the more you achieve heights and wells of knowledge that you never would ahve even attempted previously. You would've been too ignorant to ask the questions, much less seek the answers to issues and conundrums that you never even knew existed.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL...yeah, thats what I'd tell the people that I'd teach. Something that I always use as an example....years ago, I was doing a technique line. I'd call out attacks and have the person in the middle defend. From time to time, I'd intentionally call out an attack in which I knew they didn't have a preset defense for. 99% of the time, they'd stand there and say that they didn't know a tech for that attack. I'd ask them if they knew how to move, block, punch, kick, etc. They'd say yes. I'd say, Good then do it! It was nice seeing the light go off in their head. :)

This is also why I feel that we dont need 100+ techs. My God, there's a tech for every single attack out there. Why not take the basics, and form your own? Why have a tech if the badguy does a right step thru punch, another if he does a right cross, another if he does a step thru but you're standing with your left leg forward, another if your right is forward, another if this, another if that....LOL. Stupid IMO. There're attacks out there that I dont see a preset kenpo defense for, so in that case, I'd imagine they'd have to come up with a response. See my point? :) If they have to do it for those situations.....

You can have the basics and formulate from there, but the impetus to develope responses to multiple stimuli would have to be imbedded in the curriculum...and it would take longer to do. Contrary to popular opinion. If you train functionally...only if you train functionally, mandating movement, energy, escalating resistance, requiring timing and sensitivity...

You will have more tools to address various scenarios with the 'wealth of techs' approach, and if you train each of these techs to perform in every range of combat? Not only do you have the launch pad of proven techs that you've developed real skill with, you develope your own responses to multiple striking armed multifight unarmed grappling etc real life situations, you'll have an arsenal that you can and will deploy and employ vs skilled martial artists--even other Kenpoists--and they'll have either NO idea what is happening or will be very hard pressed indeed to deal with your offensives and defenses.

Seriously speaking...how many bjj guys have ever in life seen somebody use Glancing Wing, Triggered Salute, Gathering Clouds, or Desperate Falcons EVER IN LIFE. Much less used [ in a row] to pass the guard. There is a knee torque just waiting to be used in Triggered Salute, and a sweet beatdown and knee torque counter to the triangle choke in Snapping Twig. Well...in my Gym's Ideal Technique of them there are. Lol. How could the bjj guys defend against that? They'd be ALMOST as clueless as Kenpo guys were when bjj guys used to take guys down and choke the bejeezus out of them in the mid-90s.

Latest Discussions