Sword-and-dagger Fencing?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anyone ever made a sport version of rapier-and-dagger style fencing?

I know about espada y daga from the FMA, but has there ever been a true sport style of this?

P

pknox

I could be wrong, but I think Italian style rapier deals with this more so than the other european styles. I remember seeing a reproduction of a renaissance manual, and the fencer used the dagger in his rear hand while simultaneously leading with the rapier. The dagger was used in close-in situations, often with some basic grappling to set up a stab to the ribs. I think the French used the dagger as well, but more as a backup weapon -- I think they were less likely to wield the two blades in concert like the Italians. My guess is that if there were a sport version of this, an Italian fencing school would be the logical place to look.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I picked up Serge Mol's "Classical Weapons of Japan: Special Weapons and Tactics of the Martial Arts" today. I was surprised to see the use of katana in one hand and a jitte in the other, sword-and-dagger style.

Christopher Umbs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Has anyone ever made a sport version of rapier-and-dagger style fencing?

I know about espada y daga from the FMA, but has there ever been a true sport style of this?
Well, we don't consider ourselves a 'sport' per se, but the Assoc. for Historical Fencing has rules for rapier and dagger that are used at various Western Martial Arts events.

http://www.ahfi.org

Chris

Christopher Umbs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you go to the British Pathe website http://www.britishpathe.com/

And place ‘fencing’ in the search

Go down to ‘Fence and Keep Fit’ and download it (should be free, but you have to leave your info) for an example of how the late French style was taught to children in 1927

Chris

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The french version of the dagger is called a "main gauche"...gauche meaning "left" which was designed to be used both as a blocker and an attacker depending on the stuation,but to be used mainly in conjuction with the rapier.
There are some organisations that have sport fencing competitions utilising these weapons.
Off Hand...I can't recommend any.
Personally...I am looking for instructional videos for my personal collection and info on this weapon,so if anybody could help...it would be greatly appreciated.

Latest Discussions