Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I fully commit to a jab it just goes straight, hit or miss.
You can also commit your jab only when your fist touches on your opponent's face. It's pretty much like 2 steps process:

1. touch - arm go fist, body follow.
2. punch - body push arm.

In another post, I have stated I don't know whether average boxers will do this or not.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is what you said.

This is what I see a 2 strikes. I don't see hook off it at last second. I see this as a jab then a hook and not a jab that hooks at the last second.

It is not what I said. Hooking of the jab that I'm. Referring to is one strike.. The hook is disguised by a jab trajectory.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If so I was misunderstanding what you were saying-thought you meant turning the jab into a hook at distance when it failed.
It wasn't just you. I read his statement and thought the same thing because he said "last second" and that the person wouldn't know which direction it comes from. So I'm over here thinking that someone throws a Jab that turns into a hook. The first punch is still a hook it doesn't turn

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn't just you. I read his statement and thought the same thing because he said "last second" and that the person wouldn't know which direction it comes from. So I'm over here thinking that someone throws a Jab that turns into a hook. The first punch is still a hook it doesn't turn
I think that is what he's saying. I just don't get how since they are two entirely different punches from start, middle, execution and follow through.

I really think we need a video to find it. Tried googling it to see if I'm just being dumb/know it by a different name/never called it that, but can't find anything like he's describing.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think that is what he's saying. I just don't get how since they are two entirely different punches from start, middle, execution and follow through.

The arm launch is a normal jab, then you circle the last moment with your fist to a hooking motion. This is impossible to read.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But what you're explaining doesn't really work. Can you provide a video of someone doing it so we know what you're talking about?
I'm with you on this. I like to think of myself as being good with visuals, except when Wang post one of his videos, then I get lost.. lol. But everything else I feel like I can follow. But I'm having difficulty in picture this punch in a way that makes sense.

I can see starting the punch off like a back fist and landing it like straight punch, but I don't like the feel of the structure when I do that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The arm launch is a normal jab, then you circle the last moment with your fist to a hooking motion. This is impossible to read.
But that does almost no damage. It's not something anyone would ever be threatened by in an actual match or even hard sparring. And does nothing to fix the flaw of you telegraphing.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying here, but I would still have to see it. I train in a circular fighting system that flows straight punches into circular punches and out of the 100+ techniques in the system we don't have anything that moves the way that you just explain.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But that does almost no damage. It's not something anyone would ever be threatened by in an actual match or even hard sparring. And does nothing to fix the flaw of you telegraphing.
you sound like you just tried that motion lol

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Acronym The only way this would do damage is if you shift your body into it, and hook your arm rather than your fist at the end. And doing that would require footwork and strategy to prevent the other guy from reading it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
you sound like you just tried that motion lol
I had my basement cleared earlier for online BJJ class. Currently in that space just practicing 5-10 jab/hook combos and coming back here to see updates then trying new ones to figure this out.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I
@Acronym The only way this would do damage is if you shift yor body into it, and hook your arm rather than your fist at the end. And doing that would require footwork and strategy to prevent the other guy from reading it.

I already told you that it's not a power shot. It's not meant to do damage, it's meant to get through the guard. Any impact is better than no impact. It all scores, and can be followed up if there is a sluggish response. It can also be used effectively if a fighter is on the ropes and shells up for jabs and straight rights

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Acronym The only way this would do damage is if you shift your body into it, and hook your arm rather than your fist at the end. And doing that would require footwork and strategy to prevent the other guy from reading it.
The closest I could get with this was fake a jab and then hook but that's not turning a jab into a hook

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I

I already told you that it's not a power shot. It's not meant to do damage, it's meant to get through the guard. Any impact is better than no impact. It all scores, and can be followed up if there is a sluggish response. It can also be used effectively if a fighter is on the ropes and shells up for jabs and straight rights
Are you talking point sparring?

Edit: If you are talking about point sparring then, now I understand my confusion and why I'm confused.

Latest Discussions