Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are assuming they want to do it. They don't. Nobody wants to expose their chins and drop their left, regardless of which level they're boxing in (Roy Jones jr is an exception).

It is a bit easier to disguise a punch or cheat an angle if the arms are lower.

That is why guards drop when a boxer is striking unopposed. So that last flurry of punches before the other guy drops is quite often low and wide and everything you get taught not to do in boxing.

When you are in danger of getting hit. Hands come up.

This is also why if you see a Tyson highlights reel. He is dropping his hands. Because that is quite often the end of the fight.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is a bit easier to disguise a punch or cheat an angle if the arms are lower..

Be that as it may, the fact is that the left is just about never up when they throw serious right hands.. I will not be facing world championship contenders. Just as I'm weaker, so are my opponents.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are assuming they want to do it. They don't. Nobody wants to expose their chin and drop their left, regardless of which level they're boxing in (Roy Jones jr is an exception).
This is why your elbows and what they do are not the same issue.

Exposing his chin on purpose. Drops left and right

Exposing his chin on purpose,

Exposing his chin on purpose

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is why your elbows and what they do are not the same issue.

Exposing his chin on purpose. Drops left and right

Exposing his chin on purpose,

Exposing his chin on purpose

They don't always do it on purpose, just as they don't always flare their elbows on purpose, yet still do it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is a bit easier to disguise a punch or cheat an angle if the arms are lower.
Yep. It looks open but it's not, and as soon as the opponent goes for it, they almost always regret it.

Be that as it may, the fact is that the left is just about never up when they throw serious right hands.. I will not be facing world championship contenders. Just as I'm weaker, so are my opponents.
I'm trying to stay on your elbow flare issue. That has nothing to do with being weaker.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm trying to stay on your elbow flare issue. That has nothing to do with being weaker.

He said that they are good enough to get away it with. I don't need to be as good as they are since my opponents aren't either.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They don't always do it on purpose, just as they don't always flare their elbows on purpose, yet still do it.

Your issue at the moment is not to try and emulate Prince nazeem.

You are trying to get a jab to land that doesn't result in having your own nose poked.

No there are boring high percentage ways of achieving this. And there are flash low percentage ways. It is up to you to find something that works.

I flare my elbows. But then I land jabs pretty easily.

You don't land jabs easily or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Your issue at the moment is not to try and emulate Prince nazeem.

You are trying to get a jab to land that doesn't result in having your own nose poked.

No there are boring high percentage ways of achieving this. And there are flash low percentage ways. It is up to you to find something that works.

Well shadow boxing isn't the answer, otherwise I wouldn't be making this thread. Also, the higher I raise the jab the more I want to flare. My arm is telling me it needs room to rotate the fist. If I don't rotate the fist, it amounts to hammer jabs, which is not how you're supposed to do them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He said that they are good enough to get away it with. I don't need to be as good as they are since my opponents aren't either.
Which is why we have been offering simple suggestions that would greatly help you with the issue you are struggling with. We spar too and many of us have successfully addressed the same issue you are having now.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Which is why we have been offering simple suggestions that would greatly help you with the issue you are struggling with. We spar too and many of us have successfully addressed the same issue you are having now.

You asked me if I flare it when I punch slowly. I don't. Doesn't that tell you that your advice doesn't work?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe you could focus on my elbow and parry the punch at the same time, unless you got Usain Bolt reactions time. Just looking at the elbow doesn't tell you which punch is coming.
Anyone with experience should be able to. It's not so much focusing on the elbow as, you see the elbow going out and you know what punch is coming. Same way that some people use shoulder's to figure out when/what is coming and how to respond.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You asked me if I flare it when I punch slowly. I don't. Doesn't that tell you that your advice doesn't work?
I also told you to increase your speed by 20% so that you can identify exactly at which speed your structure begins to fall apart. Then to practice at keeping the structure at that speed.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anyone with experience should be able to. It's not so much focusing on the elbow as, you see the elbow going out and you know what punch is coming. Same way that some people use shoulder's to figure out when/what is coming and how to respond.

You don't know which one. I can hook off it last second.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or how some people give away their punch by double pumping there hands before they throw the punch. Or like how some people tense up before a punch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well shadow boxing isn't the answer, otherwise I wouldn't be making this thread. Also, the higher I raise the jab the more I want to flare. My arm is telling me it needs room to rotate the fist. If I don't rotate the fist, it amounts to hammer jabs, which is not how you're supposed to do them.

The problem is at the moment the way you strike you are one gigantic target.

And coincidentally you have issues with getting picked off in jab exchanges.

You need to move in a way that denies your oponant the opportunity to tee off on you.

And getting faster and developing the perfect jab won't actually fix that to any extent that you want.

Because everything else will still be wrong. You will still be stationary, standing in the wrong spot and taking too long to transition from thought in to action.

And this will mean before you land perfect jab you will have eaten too many punches to have made that worth the effort.

Shadow sparring will help you move in a way that lets you throw that jab from a position that just might make you a bit harder to counter.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I also told you to increase your speed by 20% so that you can identify exactly at which speed your structure begins to fall apart. Then to practice at keeping the structure at that speed.

If I look into the mirror I never flare it regardless of speed. It's when I don't look at myself and move freely that it flares, inevitably

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have shadow boxed for 6 months elbows in and it didn't do a damn thing to my muscle memory. That's also why you see technique diluted whenever boxers step into the ring..
Here's the issue. You did it just shadow boxing. You don't get feedback from shadow boxing.

Do the drill for a couple months each day, and slowly build up your speed to real time. As you do you'll now have muscle memory for it 'at speed'. The longer you do it, the less likely that you'll flare out when you start getting tired (or I guess the more tired you'll have to be to flare out).

Although it sounds kind of like you're just getting defensive about the issue rather than taking feedback from people that have seen improvements through the strategies we're suggesting.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem is at the moment the way you strike you are one gigantic target.

And coincidentally you have issues with getting picked off in jab exchanges.

You need to move in a way that denies your oponant the opportunity to tee off on you.
Now we are in another world. Footwork, headwork, body movement.

Latest Discussions