Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"I have seen bad boxers with a good jab, but I've never seen a good boxer with a bad jab"

/Freddie Roach

In any event you are loading that jab. And you shouldn't until you know you are going to hit the guy with it.

Otherwise the other guy will see it. And there is no way to make the jab too fast for that in this instance.

I don't catch people with fast jabs. I catch them with deceptive jabs.

So yeah. These jabs are so slow. Nobody should ever get nailed with them. And I consistently nail people with jabs.

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In any event you are loading that jab. And you shouldn't until you know you are going to hit the guy with it.

Otherwise the other guy will see it. And there is no way to make the jab too fast for that in this instance.

I don't catch people with fast jabs. I catch them with deceptive jabs.

So yeah. These jabs are so slow. Nobody should ever get nailed with them. And I consistently nail people with jabs.

It isn't loaded here. Of course just a set-up in this sequence, but still.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

There you are throwing a back fist. Which almost amounts to the same thing.

Because the punch has to travel sideways to hit the target.

And you are stalling before you throw.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jab trial with a vertical fist.

I see the flare that you were talking about. That elbow is your Telltale sign. I don't know for sure but it reminds me of someone trying to put more into a punch than they can handle. It's like you are trying to make the punch too fast or too strong without having the structure that's required.

Do your elbows flare when you punch slower?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I see the flare that you were talking about. That elbow is your Telltale sign. I don't know for sure but it reminds me of someone trying to put more into a punch than they can handle.

At any relevant speed and power for sparring, it flares even when trying to avoid it. That's the problem.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
your elbows still flare before the punch launches. If I were to spare with you I would watch your elbows because that tell me when you were going to punch. Below is a screen shot of yourpunch. You have significantly more movement in your elbow which is why it blurs more than your hand. Even though you punch is fast, It would still be easy to time your elbow and land a punch on your fist didn't start moving until your elbow was almost horizontal.

I think standing next to the wall would help you greatly.
upload_2020-7-10_19-16-6.png

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even though you punch is fast, It would still be easy to time your elbow and land a punch on your fist didn't start moving until your elbow was almost horizontal.

I standing next to the wall would help you greatly.
View attachment 22969

I don't believe you could focus on my elbow and parry the punch at the same time, unless you got Usain Bolt reactions time. Just looking at the elbow doesn't tell you which punch is coming.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You should be able to land a slow jab. That is the magic of correct technique.

I don't have Wladimir Klitchko range advantages over my opponents. Pawing and poking makes less sense then. My preferred range is long range too

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At any relevant speed and power for sparring, it flares even when trying to avoid it. That's the problem.
I think you are quick enough where you can afford to pull back on your punch. I also think the speed of your punches will actually increase because your fist will leave the chamber the moment you move. You won't have the delay caused by raising your elbow.

If you were my student then I would have you train at this speed and I would tell you to focus on keeping your elbows towards your center as if were punching in a narrow hall way. I would also have you use the wall so you can feel what the punch should be like as you throw it.

It doesn't look like much but it will help you learn how to structure your punches. Once that punching structure becomes more familiar to you, I would then have you speed things up. At this point I wouldn't worry about speed. Whatever you think you'll lose in speed, you'll gain back in speed by throwing a punch that is more efficient with movement.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should be able to land a slow jab. That is the magic of correct technique.
I should have waited for you to post this. I was thinking the same thing. A well structure and well timed punch lands solid even when it's slow. I used to see people get hit with slow stuff all the time.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think you are quick enough where you can afford to pull back on your punch. I also think the speed of your punches will actually increase because your fist will leave the chamber the moment you move. You won't have the delay caused by raising your elbow.

If you were my student then I would have you train at this speed and I would tell you to focus on keeping your elbows towards your center as if were punching in a narrow hall way. I would also have you use the wall so you can feel what the punch should be like as you throw it.

It doesn't look like much but it will help you learn how to structure your punches. Once that punching structure becomes more familiar to you, I would then have you speed things up. At this point I wouldn't worry about speed. Whatever you think you'll lose in speed, you'll gain back in speed by throwing a punch that is more efficient with movement.

I've done that but it doesn’t translate to sparring when I do techniques with force. Whenever I do it completely straight it feels like overpressure on the elbow and as if I'm choking any relevant power..

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's also why I feel soft shadow boxing is useless. You don't ingrain any muscle memory from it. At least I never did.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Been there, done that
i don't think you have, and if you did, you didn't to it long enough and often enough. This is the drill that I'm referring to, just in case there is confusion. There's no way you can do this drill daily over 2 months and still have elbows that go out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's also why I feel soft shadow boxing is useless. You don't ingrain any muscle memory from it. At least I never did.

No. It helps because you get power from a sort of loose elasticity of movement. Rather than trying to hulk punches down range.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i don't think you have, and if you did, you didn't to it long enough and often enough. This is the drill that I'm referring to, just in case there is confusion. There's no way you can do this drill daily over 2 months and still have elbows that go out.

I have shadow boxed for 6 months elbows in and it didn't do a damn thing to my muscle memory. That's also why you see technique diluted whenever boxers step into the ring..

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No. It helps because you get power from a sort of loose elasticity of movement. Rather than trying to hulk punches down range.

So you agree it doesn't do any good for muscle memory? Watch any famous fighter fight and he drops his left a million times whenever the right is thrown, despite keeping it up shadow boxing.

Latest Discussions