Switching hand - not used in UFC

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If we define "switching hand" as:

- You punch with right hand. Your opponent blocks it.
- You use your left hand to take over his blocking.
- You then continue punch with your right hand.

It's like in football that

- You carry the ball. Your opposite team member tries to interrupt you.
- Your team member interrupts your opposite team member.
- So you can carry your ball and keep running.

We just don't see this move used in UFC. Why? Your thought?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because he is punching you back mostly.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lack of knowledge. Those techniques don't exist in boxing or Muay Thai so most won't know what they are

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Typically, UFC types aren't going to use it unless it's shown to be effective. As DB said, we need to see its usefulness while someone is trying to sock you in the face.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Typically, UFC types aren't going to use it unless it's shown to be effective. As DB said, we need to see its usefulness while someone is trying to sock you in the face.

I have tried it with guys that fence that front hand. And I tend to eat the cross or hook more often than I get shot.

And they can still move their head to avoid my shot.

So a lot of elements have to come in to po play before it works.

Against a top level striker it is super risky.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most people when throwing punches don't leave their arm outstretched in the manner shown above.
Attempting to fight with an attribute development drill is a good way to get hurt in a fight.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like the switching hand a lot, and use it when I teach the straight blast. The difficulty in using it in sport is that it doesn't have the impact needed to succeed in a sport with padded gloves. The technique exchanges power for speed. It's the same reason why a jab isn't generally a knock-out punch. When using bare knuckles, entering with a trap or switch-hand to straight blast is a great way to stun your opponent long enough for an elbow or forearm (or head butt if you are a Vunak student).

There is also the argument of backfists not being as effective as a hammer or straight punch because of surface impact. Backfists tend to stun vs a hammer which can have more impact on the head (or a straight punch hitting the nose or pushing the jaw back into the skull.) Probably a topic for another thread.

I love the technique. Thank you for posting it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've heard it called "clearing hand" or a "guard clear". What you're showing is a technique that largely deals with a type of clinch I only ever see in Kung Fu movies. I call it a clinch because there really hasn't been a strike yet.

If this position occurs when they block my punch, I expect they're either striking with the other hand (bigger priority) or they're grabbing my arm (in which case I wouldn't be able to simply swipe their motion away).

Now, this can be used from the guard position, instead of this clinch. There was a thread posted about a boxer who is revolutionizing boxing by throwing in some old-school concepts, and guard-clearing is one of those concepts. But that's a lot of focus going into a weak- or medium-power hit. I think in boxing they try to use combos to set up powerful hits. This focuses two hands on one of your opponent's hands, leaving him free to strike with the other. And if you're going after his lead hand, his strong hand is ready.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
And if you're going after his lead hand, his strong hand is ready.

As demonstrated in the op examples, a lot of "these people" (;)) lead with their strong hand.

Take that out of the equation and the weak, back, hand can't do as much anyway.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As demonstrated in the op examples, a lot of "these people" (;)) lead with their strong hand.

Which might be another reason you don't see it in UFC. People generally lead with their weak hand in Western boxing styles.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ve been clearing, or pinning, the lead hand of opponents forever. Trained it a lot against resistance, used it in competition way too many times to remember, used it in police work, riots, against crazed drunks.

It can be a terrific technique if you train it right, can close distance quickly, and it happens to suit your fighting personality. And, sure, you may eat the occasional counter. Just like you might in every other technique ever attempted.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If we define "switching hand" as:

- You punch with right hand. Your opponent blocks it.
- You use your left hand to take over his blocking.
- You then continue punch with your right hand.

It's like in football that

- You carry the ball. Your opposite team member tries to interrupt you.
- Your team member interrupts your opposite team member.
- So you can carry your ball and keep running.

We just don't see this move used in UFC. Why? Your thought?

Cannot watch the videos, but if I understood my guess is the “MMA blocks” are short and usually they step back as well, no grip on sweety arms...

When sparring with people with long guards and/or gi I tend to grab. Otherwise, no. But pulling down the guard to punch is quite popular.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This focuses two hands on one of your opponent's hands, leaving him free to strike with the other. And if you're going after his lead hand, his strong hand is ready.
I don't think his opponent's left back hand can hit him. He is almost moving to his opponent's back side.

The switching hand is always used in the side door (blind side).

- I punch my right. You block with your right.
- If I slide my right arm back along your right arm and control your wrist area (this part is not needed if I don't intend to clinch),
- use my left hand to push on your right elbow joint, and
- move your right arm across your body,
- your right arm will jam your own left arm. Your back left arm won't be able to punch right at that moment.

IMO, if you can't guide your opponent's leading arm to jam his own back arm, you should not use this move.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which might be another reason you don't see it in UFC. People generally lead with their weak hand in Western boxing styles.
This could be the true reason.

If you only think about jab, cross, you will never think about jab, redirect, jab.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hey, I resent that! My 'weak' back hand can do a bunch! :smug:

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Every body will have a strong hand and a weak hand. Whether you want to put your strong hand forward, or your weak hand forward depend on your training style.

Can you punch harder with your back hand than your front hand? Not necessary. When you punch your front hand, you can put all your body weight behind it. The front hand punch (full body weight behind) can be stronger than the back hand punch (only body rotation) if you train.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The following clip shows an interested way to train the switching hand. It's 8 moves combo that switching hands are applied 3 times in 3 different directions.

Switching hand 1 (3 clockwise circles):

1. Right hand strike, opponent blocks with right.
2. Left hand take over opponent's blocking (from your left).
3. Right hand strike again, Opponent blocks with left.

Switching hand 2 (2 counter clockwise circles):

4. Left hand take over opponent's blocking (from your right).
5. Right hand strike again. Opponent blocks with right again.

Switching hand 3 (3 linear):

6. Right hand take over opponent's blocking (pull back).
7. Left hand take over opponent's blocking (pull back).
8. Right hand strike again.

Slow speed with 0.125x:

Last edited:

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It works better against a bladed stance. Also works better if you are already close.

MMA fighters don't block often, they seem to either run or come with a dodge counter most of the time (though I've not watched a lot of mma).

It's not more effective, just much easier.