survey on being bullied

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am interested in finding out the percentage of adult martial artists who as a child was bullied or had some reoccurring instances or singular instance with significant impact, where they were victimized in some way where no one stepped up to help. including no support or help from adults.

You may answer ..YES or NO. And may send a reply to me in a PM if you wish or answer in the thread.

No answers are actually just as important as yes.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes.

It may be helpful for you to set up a surveymonkey survey, to keep track. Then you can ask in other places too by just posting the link

OP
hoshin1600

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes.

It may be helpful for you to set up a surveymonkey survey, to keep track. Then you can ask in other places too by just posting the link
You may be right, but I have no idea what that is. I will have to look into it.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was in elementary school, I was picked on a lot. Not physically bullied, but made fun of a lot. I was at a new school and was the smallest kid in class, so I had a lot of trouble fitting in.

Whenever I would go to the principle to complain, she would explain to me that things only happen if you deserve it, so if people were making fun of me its probably because I did something in the past to warrant it, and because I deserved it she wasn't going to do anything.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You may be right, but I have no idea what that is. I will have to look into it.
Its a free survey site (up to the first I think 150 respondents). If you choose to do that, I would also ask non-martial artists to compare, otherwise you wouldn't really know if martial artists were bullied more/less than non martial artists.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
No...don't really know why just but it just never happened.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it didn't happen, you're lucky.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was in elementary school, I was picked on a lot. Not physically bullied, but made fun of a lot. I was at a new school and was the smallest kid in class, so I had a lot of trouble fitting in.

Whenever I would go to the principle to complain, she would explain to me that things only happen if you deserve it, so if people were making fun of me its probably because I did something in the past to warrant it, and because I deserved it she wasn't going to do anything.

That is the very definition of an A-hole. Boy, reading that upset me.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, there was a group of kids a year or 2 older than I in elementary school who determined that I was a viable target... around 1st grade I think it was? They stayed on me off and on until 4th grade, when one of them tried to jump me at the lady I was staying after school's house, but he made the decision to do it: A) by himself; and B) on a day when I just wasn't going to put up with it any longer. Turned a corner that day, I did.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

That's horrible, she should have NEVER been in education at all.

A few years back I had a principle once tell me, after my youngest was bullied on the bus, "That's the way kids are today"..... My response was interesting, and I am sure the superintendent will agree when I talk to him about this later today..... things changed quick...the bullies seat was moved and my youngest had no issues with that kid for awhile..... He tried something a couple month later, tried jumping on top of her from the bus steps, as they were getting on the bus at the end of the day. He turned and jumped at her and she did a tenkan she learned in Aikido. The bully fell flat on his face on the pavement. Being a rather smart bully, he got on the bus steps, turned and tried it again.... she did the same thing and he again fell on his face on the pavement..... he got on the bus and never bothered her again

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

From as early as I can remember, until middle (Jr. high) school. Started out as just picking, and turned more physical in 6th grade. Stopped shortly after I started taking Judo, and I started being the guy who stepped in and stopped bullies. They went back to trying to pick on me (often mocking whatever I'd said when pulling them off someone they were beating up), which no longer had any power over me.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

You should've slapped her and if she tried to punish you should've said she must've done something to deserve it so it's her fault.

Note: no that's not actual advice to someone

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was bullied, but not too badly. Mostly because I wasn't Irish and was skinny. Used to get into fights defending kids who were heavy, who were picked on a lot. Years later I taught several kids who were children of the kids who bullied me. Strange world.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am interested in finding out the percentage of adult martial artists who as a child was bullied or had some reoccurring instances or singular instance with significant impact, where they were victimized in some way where no one stepped up to help. including no support or help from adults.

You may answer ..YES or NO. And may send a reply to me in a PM if you wish or answer in the thread.

No answers are actually just as important as yes.

I would suggest making a form on googledocs. It's extremely easy and even has a tutorial, should take no more than 30 minute to create. It records all the data and percents for you.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel certain you will find most everyone has been bullied in some form some time within their life. Read an article a few months back about several polls showing over 90% feel they have been bullied. As youngsters we all have probably made someone feel bullied even if we were just kidding around and picking. Not making light of bullying but youngsters can be cruel even with friends and there is the dog piling that happens or can seem to be happening when on the receiving end.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was harassed a lot. I'm not sure if I can call it bullying since it wasn't always the same person causing the problem and things would stop once I stood my ground.

I don't remember being helped beyond people giving me advice and support on how to handle the situation. I think my strong personality rubs people the wrong way but I don't know how, because as a child people would say good things about my personality as well.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was bullied horribly in high school, to the point where I spent my 11th grade year working my *** off to get thrown out of the school.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

You didn't say so I assume you didn't tell your parents. She should have been corrected by the school district immediately. Or whatever level of administration knew what to do.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You didn't say so I assume you didn't tell your parents. She should have been corrected by the school district immediately. Or whatever level of administration knew what to do.
My parents didn't go to the school district (they should have), but they did try and talk to her about other issues and got nowhere. She had a rule that no students were allowed to return to class after the bell rang. So if you forgot your lunch, your homework, your coat, you were screwed. Many kids were hungry the next day because they didn't have their lunchbox, or went home cold because they forgot their jacket.

She was horrible.

Latest Discussions