Survey - Modern Arnis Blasphemy?

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by bloodwood
If Modern Arnis 80 is a compilation of what THE Professor taught Dan, it IS Modern Arnis.

If.

To reject the premise of Dan Anderson's original post is to revert to a "duck season - rabbit season" kind of debate. He asked for opinions, and opinions were given.

Respectfully and fraternally,

Steve Lamade

B

bloodwood

My mistake. I should not have used the word IF. Dan has stated that MA-80 IS what he learned from the Professor. So it is Modern Arnis and this thread is getting to be real chicken S**t. I think it's time to send this thread where it belongs.
:toilclaw:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by lhommedieu
Modern Arnis 80 not Modern Arnis

Ahhhhhhh...Here is an interesting point, but I would disagree. Dan has clearly said that MA-80 IS Modern Arnis, but it is his interpretation of what RP taught him. Yes, I know, this still sounds like his own style, but not according to Dan. Dan specifically says he is NOT grandmaster, and he has NOT created his own style. MA-80 is a cirriculum.

This is an easy mistake to make because Dan has called himself "founder" and even accepted an award for "Founder of the Year," which implies that MA-80 is it's own system. This is a prime example of what name and title confusion leads to.

O.K. here is the bottom line for me:

I have also stayed away from this thread for many reasons, listed as follows:

1. Dan is a good martial artist who has accomplished great things so far in his lifetime regarding his American Freestyle Karate.
2. Dan means no ill will to the late Professor Presas, or his students.
3. Dan has done good things for Modern Arnis since Professors death, such as his various publications on the art.
4. Dan is a good instructor.
5. When I talk to Dan in person, he is not an ego monger. He doesn't demand that anyone call him of any specific title.
6. Overall, Dan is a darned good guy.

Now, having said all of this, I haven't responded because I am not in agreement with Dan over the Professor title, or at least how it is being handled. This is a conflict for me because I really like and respect Dan as a person, and a Martial Artist.

Dan (I'm speaking to you directly now), Please don't take this the wrong way. I mean no disrespect by this. It is just that I feel that in Modern Arnis, the Professor title is something that was revered for Remy, and it just hits way to close too home. Since Remy's death I have considered Tim Hartman my primary instructor for Modern Arnis, yet even as such I wouldn't even feel comfortable if Tim took on a "Professor of Modern Arnis" title either. I know that you have in fact earned the title "Professor" in Karate, but in Modern Arnis "Professor" has a whole different meaning.

I also agree that GM wouldn't be appropriate either; especially since you have explicitly stated that MA-80 is not it's own system (in that it's still Modern Arnis) but it is your cirriculum for Modern Arnis. Now if you really want MA-80 to be it's own system, then that is another thread, but I think that you and I know both know that isn't the answer either. For one, you would have to drop the "Modern Arnis" name, I would think, if it were to stand on it's own as it's own system. Otherwise you would be unfairly riding on the Modern Arnis name while confusing people in the process. Plus, it is clear when you teach your cirriculum that MA-80 is not it's own style; rather it is what you describe exactly....your ciriculum and interpretation of what Prof. Presas taught you.

I don't think that founder would be an appropriate title either. Yes, I know, I know.....you have explained many times the meaning of "founder." Regardless, when people think founder they will think that MA-80 is it's own style, which you have rightfully stated it's not. No matter how you explain it, semantics are semantics; you can't simply refer to a different definition and expect people to no longer identify the word or title for what has been generally excepted. I couldn't call myself "The Guro who can Kick Tim Hartmans ***, Paul Janulis," and then justify it by saying, "Hey, I didn't mean kick Tim's *** in a fight, I ment kick his *** at golf." People are not going to except my explained definition, regardless of what I say, or how many times Tim really kicks my ***. Maybe that's a poor example, and a sad attempt at humor, but I think you get the point.

Founder, however is a much better one then professor, given that "professor" just hit's too close to home with regards to our late teacher.

Do you want to know what title I like the best? "Senior Master." There are only a small handful of people who have that title, and the best thing about it is you have rightfully earned it. No one will dispute that. The Senior Master title is quite an accomplishment in itself; and Professor Presas gave that to you to for all that you have done for his art. I'm sure he was proud to award you with that title, and I think you should wear it with pride. No one will be awarded "Senior Master" by Professor again. I think you should wear it proudly and with honor, for that would be the best way to revere our late teacher, I think; by using the title that he designated special for you and only a few others.

And for me...that is what I would feel the most comfortable addressing you as. "Senior Master Anderson, Master Anderson, or Mr. Anderson" on the floor, and "Dan" at the bar over some beers. I think most people like myself who like and respect you feel the same way.

And, Dan, if your wondering why I haven't addressed this to you in person, let me explain. I basically agree with Brett; I don't think names are worth argueing over. I will respect you no matter what title you decide on. I only get angry when someone tries to misrepresent themselves (for instance, saying, "I'm GM in modern Arnis because Professor Presas told me so"). I know that misrepresentation or disrespect is the last thing you would want to do. I didn't mention it before because we never got into detail over the names. We talked about technique, and other more important stuff. If you had asked me in confident, however, I would have told you in person. Since you want to hear responses publically (which I also respect) I chose to address it in this way.

Well, it's midnight, my girlfriend is pissed because I came all the way to my office to e-mail this, and tell you how I really felt. If you want to talk to me in person over it, call me. I hope you take mine, as well as everyone elses opinions to heart, as I am sure you will.

Sincerely,
Paul Janulis

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will be away from my computer until monday, so I will not be able to respond via internet until then. So please, respect my lack of further response here until next week.

thank you

:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
1. Dan is a good martial artist who has accomplished great things so far in his lifetime regarding his American Freestyle Karate.
2. Dan means no ill will to the late Professor Presas, or his students.
3. Dan has done good things for Modern Arnis since Professors death, such as his various publications on the art.
4. Dan is a good instructor.
5. When I talk to Dan in person, he is not an ego monger. He doesn't demand that anyone call him of any specific title.
6. Overall, Dan is a darned good guy.

Yes, and most relevant here perhaps are 5,6, at least to me. It's difficult for me to believe that Mr. Anderson operates from other than good intentions. His vision of how best to move the art forward includes thoughts on the use of the title Professor.

Honestly, it's a bit "needy" of us to continue to insist that that one word be resereved--that the Professor's "number be retired" forever. Still, I have to say that in my heart I have to agree that he was the Professor. I have no real opinion on Mr. Anderson's use of the term; it's a matter of one's emotional response, a matter of how closely one associates the man with that term of endearment. I loved my grandmothers but other people can say "Grandma" too for all I care, as someone else noted.

In addition, Mr. Anderson has earned the title Professor as it is usually used in the martial arts sense. Remy Presas had had it from his days in the academic world which is somewhat different. He carried it over from his university teaching days. (Dr. Barber is a Professor in this sense also--as am I.) So, the origin of the use of the title was different for Mr. Anderson and Prof. Presas.

People will judge Mr. Anderson as a whole. If he's a success in spreading Modern Arnis, he'll be Prof. Anderson. Should he fail, it won't matter--his name will be mud (though I'll still be a Super Dan fan).

As to the other point of contention, the name Modern Arnis 80--I think it's confusing to have what is neither a fully new name ("Arnis Andersona") nor the old one ("Modern Arnis") but rather something in-between. I don't especially care for the name lyrically either, and the amount of symbolism stuffed into the 8 and the 0 is a bit much for my tastes. I'm not disturbed or offended by what Mr. Anderson has done--I just don't approve of it artistically. I say, make a break or don't--this seems somewhat like waffling to me, and the confusion is evidently not limited to me alone. Again, I don't think it's wrong in any sense other than one of practicality.

We're all doing the best we can in the wake of Prof. Presas' passing. Let's all be charitable, and try to assume the best intentions of one another.

D

DoctorB

quote: Originally posted by lhommedieu
I can't believe the fuse is still sputtering.

Located on John Bishop's Kajukenbo forum - History/Who's Who in Kajukenbo:

http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Professor Harry Herrera
Professor Larry Gumataotao
Professor Al Dacascos
Professor Eugene Sedeno
Professor John Leoning
Professor Sid Asuncion
Professor Carlos Bunda
Professor Doug Bunda
Professor Colleen Gragen
Professor Eric Lee
Professor Sam Allred
Professor Philip Gelinas

Originally posted by Renegade
Kenpo not Modern Arnis.

OK Guys, let me make a couple of points since this involves Kenpo/Kajukenbo, which I have trained in from white belt through 6th degree black. In 2001 I was awarded Senior Master Status for my Escrima-Kenpo-Arnis curriculum at the Gathering of Eagles, so I have some knowledge and experience in this area of the arts.

In Kajukenbo, Professor status designates a person who has attained a 9th or 10th degree ranking. The title and rank are awarded by a panel of experts in the art. The one title that no one can claim is that of Sijo - it is reserved for Adriano Emperado, alone. Since it means "founder", it can not and will not be transfered to anyone after he passes. BTW, Sijo Emperado was on the 10 man board at GOE2 that awarded me the Senior Master status and he witnessed two of my three presentations at the GOE2.

My next point deals with the FMAs and there are two systems that I know of which have multiple GMs - Doce Pares and Balintawak. Therefore, it would not be unreasonable for the titles of "Professor" or "GM" to be used within Modern Arnis context, however, the pathway for that sort of thing was never cleared by the founder who was known and refered to by both titles, interchanably. Hence we have a very clear problem of both organizational and emotional dimensions.

In the course of this thread and several others, people have expressed the view that one or the other of the title could not and should not be used out of respect for the late founder. I believe that we need to take a couple of BIG STEPS BACKWARDS and give this situation a long, hard, critical viewing! People we can not have it both ways! We can not reserve BOTH title for the late founder of Modern Arnis. This is a new day. It is time to put the grief and sense of loss aside long enough for the business of growing the art can occur. We are becoming stagnate and aguementative, rather than becominng more progressive and forward thinking.

My suggestion is to create an emeritus title of Geat Grand Master for the late founder of Modern Arnis, thereby allowing the title Grand Master to be used within the Modern Arnis context. That also will allow us to "retire" and "reserve" the titles "Founder" and "Professor" exclusively for Remy Presas. To me this makes the most sense because it is the designation of "professor" that has the very clear emotional endearment quality that is associated with one man within this art. I must also give credit where credit is due, the Great Grand Master idea came from Rocky Paswik.

Please take note that my organizational by-laws preclude me or anyone associated with the Independent Escrima-Arnis Associates from assuming the following titles, grand master or professor and our ranking system stops at 9th degree. This rule was put into effect at the founding of the organization in 1993. Therefore, I have no self-serving interest in my above proposal.

All of this continuing debate over titles has fostered another idea that I will be running past several people privately in the next couple of days. It is consist with the reasoning behind establishing the Symposium. With Professor Presas, gone, we need to meet and organize the Modern Arnis world for the future. We also need to be realistic, not everyone will agree and there will be several Modern Arnis organizations in existence. That is curreently the situation and I see no reason to believe that it will change. MA 80, WMAA, IMAF-Delaney, IMAF, Inc. (Shea/MoTTs), American Modern Arnis Asociates, Marppio and the WMAC are already in existence, so the very best thing that we could do is to meet, talk, train and arrive at a consensus about what can and should be. The choices are ours to make, I have made the first effort in that direction by organizing the first Modern Arnis Symposium. Now the burden shifts to all of you who have been so vocal on these name, rank, title and other Modern Arnis matters since the death of Professor Presas. Do you want to work cooperatively with one another, across organizational lines or do you want to continue debating endlessly over the internet?

There are 12 people who are committed to teaching at the Sympsoium, now we need people to commit to attending and participating. There are matters that need discussion, so attending and dialoguing face to face would be helpful. If anyone would like to head up a discussion group, let me know and I can arrange a room or two for that purpose.

We are not going to have what we had in the past when Professor Presas was alive. We need to step up and make this art for ourselves, as Professor often said we should. Your thoughts would be greatly appriciated, but your attendence at the Symposium would be more beneficial to the future of Modern Arnis.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

D

DoctorB

Dan,

CLEAN OUT your hotmail account - it has been 6 days since I first tried to send you a private e-mail and it has been returned 5 times - THIS IS IMPORTANT - Dan, now get busy and delete all of that trash so that new messages can get through or I will force you to drink tequila when you get to Buffalo ;-)

Jerome Barber, ED.D.

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hi, inside of my school i have a few students who are teaching classes, because they are getting close to the instructor level, so i can teach them how to become instructors.

even now, as still students of mine, i can see how one students prefers one strategy that i taught them, and another teaches the strategy that he likes. even how they hold the fighting stances, or one likes to crash through in stickfighting, and the other likes to stay to the outside, one likes empty hand fighitng, the other like to stickfight. each student learned the same style from the same teacher (me), but he walked away from the training with a preference.

when my students leave me to teach in his own place, he will say, that he is a student of mustafa gatdula's kuntaw. but he has his own way to teach it. so i might have a chris williams kuntaw in elk grove, a habib ahmad kuntaw in pakistan, mike may kuntaw in sacramento...etc. they are still mustafa gatdula's kuntaw, but the way he likes to do it, is his own. if there was a grandmaster and founder its my grandpa, but he is dead and there will never be another one. i am a follower of his kuntaw, even though i have my way to do it, and so do my students, and there students,,,,

by the way i did create my own style which is my fighting eskrima. because i have a few different teachers, i cant give all the credit to one, so i gave my eskrima its own name and i am the creater of the style.

if you still represent your teachers style, you can still give your own name to it, because its your way to do it. but as long as you are his representative, you use the title he gave you as if you are still teaching in his school. but to refuse his title and call yourself something else meant you broke away from his method.

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by bloodwood
If Modern Arnis 80 is a compilation of what THE Professor taught Dan, it IS Modern Arnis.

Excellent Point! I was wondering if anybody was going to say this.

The bulk of Modern Arnis 80 is what the Professor taught me but not all of it, though.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoctorB
Dan,

CLEAN OUT your hotmail account - it has been 6 days since I first tried to send you a private e-mail and it has been returned 5 times - THIS IS IMPORTANT - Dan, now get busy and delete all of that trash so that new messages can get through or I will force you to drink tequila when you get to Buffalo ;-)

Jerome Barber, ED.D.

I do not respond favorably to threats but the one of forced tequila drinking will get me into action. Hate the stuff!

Dan

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Enough with the titles already!! The LAST thing we need in Arnis is more titles.
Dan; I think Paul made some very good points, and I am in agreement with them. When Remy Presas awarded you the title Senior Master he gave you a distinctive (I dont know anyone else using it) title reflecting your contributions to the art. Wear that title proudly. If you are going to teach using "MA-80, Senior Master Dan Anderson's compilation of the art of Remy Presas" then so be it. Go forward and good luck!
I personally find the title of grand master distasteful; too many people with no claim (in many arts) bandy it about. Why isn't just living up to a simple title like Guro or Sensei enough?

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com
Enough with the titles already!! The LAST thing we need in Arnis is more titles.
Dan; I think Paul made some very good points, and I am in agreement with them. When Remy Presas awarded you the title Senior Master he gave you a distinctive (I dont know anyone else using it) title reflecting your contributions to the art. Wear that title proudly. If you are going to teach using "MA-80, Senior Master Dan Anderson's compilation of the art of Remy Presas" then so be it. Go forward and good luck!
I personally find the title of grand master distasteful; too many people with no claim (in many arts) bandy it about. Why isn't just living up to a simple title like Guro or Sensei enough?

Because big egos can not handle small titles, in spite of the fact that these same people almost always fail when it comes to
"...living up to a simple title like Guro or Sensei..."

Personally I find that small titles or no titles make it very easy to do your job, do it well. In time one becomes recognized by those people who understand that you did. The rewards are them genuine and easy to accept. When one has pushed ahead and grabbed big titles before they are physically and mentally ready, they are never fully satisfied. The net result is that they have to seek ever greater heights, titles and acknowledgements. They are mentally dissatisfied in spite of their outward appearence.

Lamont

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
Ahhhhhhh...Here is an interesting point, but I would disagree. Dan has clearly said that MA-80 IS Modern Arnis, but it is his interpretation of what RP taught him. Yes, I know, this still sounds like his own style, but not according to Dan. Dan specifically says he is NOT grandmaster, and he has NOT created his own style. MA-80 is a cirriculum.

This is an easy mistake to make because Dan has called himself "founder" and even accepted an award for "Founder of the Year," which implies that MA-80 is it's own system. This is a prime example of what name and title confusion leads to.

I also agree that GM wouldn't be appropriate either; especially since you have explicitly stated that MA-80 is not it's own system (in that it's still Modern Arnis) but it is your cirriculum for Modern Arnis. Now if you really want MA-80 to be it's own system, then that is another thread, but I think that you and I know both know that isn't the answer either. For one, you would have to drop the "Modern Arnis" name, I would think, if it were to stand on it's own as it's own system. Otherwise you would be unfairly riding on the Modern Arnis name while confusing people in the process. Plus, it is clear when you teach your cirriculum that MA-80 is not it's own style; rather it is what you describe exactly....your ciriculum and interpretation of what Prof. Presas taught you.

I don't think that founder would be an appropriate title either. Yes, I know, I know.....you have explained many times the meaning of "founder." Regardless, when people think founder they will think that MA-80 is it's own style, which you have rightfully stated it's not. No matter how you explain it, semantics are semantics; you can't simply refer to a different definition and expect people to no longer identify the word or title for what has been generally excepted.

Since you want to hear responses publically (which I also respect) I chose to address it in this way.

Sincerely,
Paul Janulis

Big Daddy Paul,
VERY eloquently put and thanks for the public posting. I posted some time ago that I used the word curriculum incorrectly and that Modern Arnis 80 was actually a system put together by moi. Also, in a very recent post I mentioned that the bulk but not all of Modern Arnis 80 came from Remy Presas so it is ever so hairline different than the RP Modern Arnis. Personally, Paul, you have made some very good points (especially outlined in parts 1-6 - humor).

One point of disagreement for me is dropping the Modern Arnis name as part of the title. THAT would be very disrespectful to my teacher, far more than including the name and having others ticked off at me. I am quite proud of where I came from in the Filipino Martial Arts. As to people's expectations, boy am I running into that one a bit. Good luck with pacifying your girl friend.

To Everyone - I just emailed Bloodwood a private communication which pointed out, in part, that I am taking no offense from anyone but this thread has gone off the path from whether I am being disrespectful and disingenuous to now whether anyone agrees with the titles and so forth. It's like discussing something politically non-correct over a few beers...and a few more beers and so on. The volume gets louder as more beers gets consumed.

In the direct Remy Presas lineage I hold the title Senior Master proudly. Don't get me wrong. I do not dis the title BUT keep in mind that I have begun to walk my own path and in doing so I am doing things differently, even if ever so slight at first. I have moved out of the house but am keeping in communication with my family. I believe RP did the same when he formed Modern Arnis in the first place (although before anyone hits me with this I do admit he didn't call what he did Balintawak 57 - there, I beat you to it).

All for now,
Dan Anderson
:D

B

bloodwood

Dan,
The chicken s**t comes in when we start going back and forth with big words like IS, IF, BUT to make our point. I do not refer to your original thread as CS but to what it has turned in to. Many will never except certain titles, but if that's what you choose to do than stop asking and move ahead with you plans for the future. Stop trying to test the waters.
As Yoda said "there is no try, do."

T

The Mist

I belive that the bulk of Arnis practitioners will remain soberly behind the fact that you are wrong in taking the title of Proffessor for yourself. And I myself after re-reading the bulk of the posting seem to think that rather than seeking to justify your actions. You are now bordering on the stance of 'rubbing our collective noses in it' . Which is ever increase the pace, tone, and tenor of the respondents.
This further wrong action seems to further underscore the lack of judgement exhibited in the first place.
I remain calm in my knowledge of the difference between wrong and right.
I hope that your further actions will be to strengthen the art.
Thanks,
Bob Chesbro
Lakan Tatlo
PS Modern Arnis 1990-2003 and beyond :)

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Mist
And I myself after re-reading the bulk of the posting seem to think that rather than seeking to justify your actions. You are now bordering on the stance of 'rubbing our collective noses in it' . Which is ever increase the pace, tone, and tenor of the respondents.
This further wrong action seems to further underscore the lack of judgement exhibited in the first place.
Thanks,
Bob Chesbro
Lakan Tatlo

Dear Bob,
Thanks for your take on this. My intention is neither to posture nor rub but to clarify. What started out as a query and clarification has gone beyond the original intentions. My actions will be to strengthen the art.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by The Mist
I belive that the bulk of Arnis practitioners will remain soberly behind the fact that you are wrong in taking the title of Proffessor for yourself. And I myself after re-reading the bulk of the posting seem to think that rather than seeking to justify your actions. You are now bordering on the stance of 'rubbing our collective noses in it' . Which is ever increase the pace, tone, and tenor of the respondents.
Thanks,
Bob Chesbro
Lakan Tatlo

Hi Bob,

I hope that you will attend the Symposium. Not only would it give you a chance to judge for yourself the strengths of Dan Anderson's abilities in Modern Arnis, but talk with him personally. And I believe that you are interested in the knife as part of your martial arts training regimen. We have two people on the program, Master Bram Frank, who will be teaching his Gunting Knife. He will be demonstrating how that instrument was founded on the principle of Modern Arnis movement. Our second instructor, Guro Dawud Muhamad, will be showing us how to integrate the Modern Arnis movements with knife to the Sayoc Kali System of knife work and possibly grappling/ground fighting.

I hope that you will be there, since the Symposium is being held in Buffalo.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Latest Discussions