Superheroes No Longer Are Role Models??

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because it is even less real than superheroes. It also diminishes the actual struggle we all go through to do good. Superman does not have to try to be good, he simply is. What sort of role model is that, really? We will all be less than honorable, we will all be tempted. Who makes a better, more inspirational hero, one who simply does good without thought or one who has to struggle with their humanity, and still do good after that struggle? Superman is also basically a god, in power and in intrinsic goodness, and it's hard to take a god seriously as a human hero.
This is the third time I've said this in this thread, but the quoted article takes issue with modern superheroes, who are more flawed, and states that the older generation of superheroes like Superman and Captain America made good role models.

Less real? He's completely fictional you know. Superman is an abstraction, he does not have to have our flaws or our struggles. He's there as an inspirational and aspirational figure. He's Jesus, Moses, Samson, Hercules, only better. And Superman is tempted, he does struggle, that's what makes him great. He can destroy anyone he wishes but he always uses restraint in all situations. He's the greatest example of using your natural gifts to live up to your full potential.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because it is even less real than superheroes. It also diminishes the actual struggle we all go through to do good. Superman does not have to try to be good, he simply is. What sort of role model is that, really? We will all be less than honorable, we will all be tempted. Who makes a better, more inspirational hero, one who simply does good without thought or one who has to struggle with their humanity, and still do good after that struggle? Superman is also basically a god, in power and in intrinsic goodness, and it's hard to take a god seriously as a human hero. This is the third time I've said this in this thread, but the quoted article takes issue with modern superheroes, who are more flawed, and states that the older generation of superheroes like Superman and Captain America made good role models.
Clark Kent was raised by a good old fashioned couple with good old fashioned values and thus naturally grew up to be a good man. I've seen this with many people in my years and have known those who have a streak of goodness in them a mile wide. To be fair I do know that those who have grown up in alcoholic/dysfunctional homes to have the same wide goodness and for them it's sometimes an effort because they've been so jaded.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exactly, his country upbringing is an abstraction of the best we have to offer. He grows up in the countries bread basket on a farm with a loving family and a small caring community. His father taught him the constitution, philosophy and good will to everyone like bedtime stories. When someone needed help the entire community pitched in and did all they could.

Weird thing is, I have a good friend named Richard from Kansas and I didn't meet him till my adulthood, he was really like that. Good almost to a fault. Not good because of some religious obligation, but because it's what you should do.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Less real? He's completely fictional you know.

Yeah, I know. :) But even fictional characters differ in how real they come across.

Superman is an abstraction, he does not have to have our flaws or our struggles.

That's pretty much my point, he's an abstraction, not a real character. Thus he is difficult to relate to, and difficult to aspire too.

He's there as an inspirational and aspirational figure. He's Jesus, Moses, Samson, Hercules, only better.

See, that's my point by comparison. All of the other characters you list were seriously flawed, and some were undone by their flaws. Others rose above them. Even the Son of God spent his time in the desert, and had his moments of doubt and pain. Superman doesn't really come across that way.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I guess you've not read much Superman because he has flaws and has overcome them, it's apart of his greatness. Maybe you should read Kingdom Come or Crisis Of infinate Earths, of Identity Crisis, or Infinite Crisis or 52, New Krypton, or Peace On Earth, I could go on. He doesn't come across that way because maybe you are not familiar enough with the material. Movies, cartoons don't capture the character of literary characters very well. Many of the cries of Superman being too perfect usually comes from people who really don't have that much of a familiarity. He's the first and the greatest, all others couldn't follow so they created smaller more naturalistic characters.

A frustrated, tired, broken Superman who has lost his way from Peace On Earth-
AlexRossSupdesk.jpg

The fallen God of Kingdom Come who has forsaken humanity -
kingdom-come-superman.gif

kingdom.jpg

superman-standing-in-the-sky_1280_385_big_thumb.jpg

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Omar, I have a question for you, since you seem to be a pretty big comics fan. How do you feel about Watchmen? Do you feel that the deconstruction/critique of the entire concept of superheroes offered by Moore in Watchmen has validity?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watchmen is awesome in every way. I don't know how valid one would consider it though, since it is an alternate universe where Nixon is still president and the Cold War got even colder. I will say that if we lived in that world we would react in a very similar fashion as the people do in the book, he captured something that many other companies glossed over, how would the regular Joe react to such a world.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
The whole Batman thing is a great example, becasue of Wertham's book causing this whoel Batman/Robin gay thing that seems to persist even till now is the reason they added Batwoman (a character that failed first time around)...

And who is, perhaps with a bit of an ironic nod towards Wertham, a lesbian in her current incarnation.

Pax,

Chris

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank Omar. I`d forgotten the title of the book "The hero with a 1000 faces". I haven`t been able to get ahold of it, but it`s refferenced alot in the one I mentioned.

Do you guys remember the end of Kill Bill where Bill uses Superman as a metaphore for how the bride sees herself and the rest of the world? I`ve got to admit Quentin Tarentino can write.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are welcome.

You know, I can't stand Tarantino at all? I can't stand his writing, his overly referential directing style, the whole thing just bugs me. He also does not understand fully Superman, he took a kernel of the truth and wrote to fit his story. He doesnt see himself as better, bigger or anything above us. He uses his full potential to better the world, just like both his fathers taught him. Both Clark and Superman are equal in his eyes because there are some things that Clark can do that Superman can't, like writing an article exposing corruption.

There's a great book, Superman Birthright. It deals with the years between college and Clark landing the job at the Planet. The first chapter had him covering segregation in Africa and he marveled at the strength of this man fighting with his words for the rights of his people (he was a thinly veiled Mandella). Clark does not see humans as weaker, he's amazed at the strength of the human spirit. He marvelled at this small, frail man refered to as a giant by his people, using his words to win them basic human rights.

Superman_Birthright.jpg

Saving the African leader from an assasination attmpt

bullet.jpg

Flying over the plains of Africa, what a fun childhood this guy had!

birthright-zebras.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions