Super slow Siu Nim Tau (siu lam tau)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Geezer...That made me laugh out loud!!
Kung Fu Wang...I agree with Geezer in disagreeing with you just so you can be normal. And I don't want you to get dinged because I'm being disagreeable.

snake_monkey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I will answer this: Yes. I have played it very slow. Sometimes in class, more often at seminars when there is more time spent training. It's a good workout for the horse but anything over 5 mins is probably best reserved for intermediate to advanced level practitioners.

I find the main benefit to be that when one plays the form in this way the movements themselves become more 'correct' or 'exact' in terms of muscle memory and relaxation. It may help to think about it this way; It is a way to get a different perspective on the form which may bring greater understanding of the form to the practitioner. This relates to mind-body understanding. I don't think of it in terms of any mystical Chi power but breathing slowly from the belly while keeping a pocket of air is not only energizing and invigorating but helps train proper breathing for Wing Chun in action. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Zeno Bokor

White Belt
Reaction score
Another question is do people do part of SLT slowly and then part of it fast?

We do the Sam Bai Fat section slowly but then do the rest fast. Obviously when you practice it it can, and should, be done at different speeds to learn it, refine it and so on. But for us the correct way to do the SLT is with Slow Sam Bai Fat and fast through the rest of it.

It really depends on the intended use of the movements for your lineage. For us, the first part of the form isn't about defending, it's about learning to use your elbow/wrist so that part is done slowly so that you can concentrate of the movement. The techniques that defend strikes or attack are done fast because you're training those techniques at normal speed but the huen sao we do slower because we use that for wrist strengthening. Also the general pace of the third form is faster than that of the second form which in turn is faster than the first form.

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've always been taught to be as slow as possible, and do it many, many, many, many times. But I've always hated slow.:(:mad:

skyeisonfire

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm good at breathing, been doing it since I was born lol. But seriously, I never really paid attention. Breathing to me was learned in the gym during slow reps and isometric holds. I just do it automatically. Usually push movements exhale and pulling movements inhale. But SNT is a little different. I guess I use the same principle but just longer duration. I never did it super slow anyways. Slow is never my speed.

FinalStreet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm good at breathing, been doing it since I was born lol. But seriously, I never really paid attention. Breathing to me was learned in the gym during slow reps and isometric holds. I just do it automatically. Usually push movements exhale and pulling movements inhale. But SNT is a little different. I guess I use the same principle but just longer duration. I never did it super slow anyways. Slow is never my speed.

SNT, long hard work, but huge pay-off. (not in drills). It's not a drill. So if you do not feel immediate benefits within 2-3 minutes after, then something wrong, if feel some parts worked some did not, probably incorrect. SNT is only taught Correct behind closed doors. Even Yip Man was in the selling business. Ofcourse everybody knows slow, but only probably less than 1000 people correct can use SNT efficiently. It's not for everybody to know.

Latest Discussions