Successful Real World Video's Of Knife Disarms & Defense...

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not want to hold anyone back that is why I said disarms and self defense. So if you have a video of a successful encounter please share.

Here is a video from Live Leak featuring Thai law enforcement dealing with a knife wielding attacker and neutralizing him in an unexpected way:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Look at how calm this guy was defending against a knife. Guy is white is defending against guy in black t-shirt with a small knife.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Flying kicks for the win.

Flying kicks is one of those those legitimate street sport differences. Because of the ranges and the chaos

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Drop Bear when I was in College I once saw a guy kick a knife out of a guy's hand. I would never do it myself but in that moment it worked.

Cool finds...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drop Bear when I was in College I once saw a guy kick a knife out of a guy's hand. I would never do it myself but in that moment it worked.

Cool finds...

There is a video of that as well but it wasn't a flying kick so i didn't add it.

The flying kick isn't intuitive so in theory it shouldn't work. Like head kicks in MMA. But it does work. And if you look at the dynamics you can make a few assumptions why it does work.

The thing is this sort of massive running around chaotic mele is rarely reflected in a gym so the opportunity never arises. So you never use it or need it.

Put yourself out on the street and you need to cover 20 meters and then hit someone. Different game.

I like it because it does show the difference between what is and what should be.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at how calm this guy was defending against a knife. Guy is white is defending against guy in black t-shirt with a small knife.

My thought is that it doesn't help to get all excited about it.

Granted ... that's just my thought, generally not my response.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Cool finds...

Was it this guy?

Pretty sure he was just trying to cover up shop lifting that wine though. I just realised he concealed his identity after he was caught on video anyway.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a sniper that shot a gun out of a guys hand. Hit the barrel.

Had something similar happen on my PD a few years back. We had a barricaded gun man who had been shooting out an apartment window. He had mylar up against the windows to protect from CIA microwave surveillance (no lie). The blinds moved and the barrel of one of those old school elephant guns stuck out. The sniper took the shot and took out the firing mechanism, and thumb, of the shooter because that was all he could see that might end it.

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This thread is all about successful real world knife disarms and defense!

Feel free to post any video that meets this criteria!

[/MEDIA]

Really brilliant thread. Love it.

I've practised and trained techniques over and over again in the dojang and, during deployments, you might find yourself in trouble but it is usually the kind where lead is flying, not knives and kicks (we always said that if you find yourself in hand-to-hand combat in Afghan or Iraq you've done something seriously wrong) so it is really good to see it live.

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My thought is that it doesn't help to get all excited about it.

Granted ... that's just my thought, generally not my response.

Ha! Exactly! We are all dojang/dojo warriors until it is really happening for keeps; then you find out how well you have trained and see if it is a natural reaction or a freak out.

My experience has been to see really well trained people react very calmly during conflict but then, even the most experienced, often feel a bit sick or overwhelmed once the situation is over. Must be the coming down from all of the adrenaline.

Latest Discussions