Substyles of JKD.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where I study the grappling has a lot of BJJ but also dumog. I'm not entirely sure what the kali influence is.

B

bscastro

It is interesting to see where different JKD people get their "elements" for each range. For example, my instructor, Sifu Tom Macaluso, incorporates Sambo and Catchwrestling for the grappling range, while using mainly the Inosanto/LaCoste Kali for Filipino martial arts. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he does not teach straight Silat, but has studied with Paul DeThours some I believe and some of what we learn has that flavor to it.

Bryan :asian:

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so from what i have read looking at this thread many people make up their own system & call it JKD? the Guy i know who teaches it has trained with dan Inosanto (hope i spelt him name correctly). he said it´s really the only trusted way to learn the full system.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
Indeed, we do a fair amount of FMA-related material, though it all comes back to HKE sooner or later.
A lot of PFS guys skipped the Gong Fu and went right into FMA and BJJ hybrid work. It is great but I came up in the 90s first with JF GF and JKD Concepts then we moved on to the modern version CJKD.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There’s Dan Inosanto‘s school, Ron Poteet, Tim Tackett, Ted Wong etc

I know Tim Tackett focuses on small groups where it can be taught and tested vs teaching it to 60 or more guys where it’s not hands on.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is also Sifus Francis Fong, Kevin Seaman, and a few others.

Latest Discussions