SubLevel Four Article # 4

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jazkiljok
by large AK is an art based on brutal and relentless blunt force trauma to end a confrontation. getting more specific just makes you more efficient but no less brutal and damaging.

Fair enough I see your point now(no pun intended).

I was only using the St9 area as an example, what if I had said, "Strike into the Gb/L plexus, downward on a 45 degree angle using the pheonix eye fist, and create a KO.."?
Less danger, but the point is still made.

Truthfully though, the chances of being attacked by one of these people that you have described, those at high risk of hypertension etc., would have to be, I think, far less than being attacked, by someone in fairly good physical condition.

Whilst I am not disagreeing with you as to how dangerous it could be to strike the area in question, I find it funny that Earl Montague seems to make it his mission in life to tell us how dangerous it is for G. Dillman to attack these areas in his demos, but then does exactly the same strikes on his students on his tapes.

Now if he considers it ok to do to his students, then wouldn't it be acceptable for us to do these strikes on an aggressor that appears to be in tip top condition?

--Dave

:asian:

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by D.Cobb
Ok, yeah that's the way our style uses it too. So my next question would have to be....
Is SL-4 Chinese Dim Mak? Is it a variation of DM or just loosely based on it? The more I learn about this fascinating side to Kenpo, the more intrigued I get.

--Dave

No it is not dim mak, but uses what many refer to as dim mak theory, however it's applications go beyond what some would call dim mak and it is an integrated aspect of SubLevel Four Kenpo.

Dim Mak doesn't go into negative or positive postures nor does it address ody mechanics as an integral part of what you do. Dim Mak is just the five elemental theory raw data. Real world application is light years from knowing the points.

And I am just as intrigued as you.

jazkiljok

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Fair enough I see your point now(no pun intended).

I was only using the St9 area as an example, what if I had said, "Strike into the Gb/L plexus, downward on a 45 degree angle using the pheonix eye fist, and create a KO.."?
Less danger, but the point is still made.

Truthfully though, the chances of being attacked by one of these people that you have described, those at high risk of hypertension etc., would have to be, I think, far less than being attacked, by someone in fairly good physical condition.

Whilst I am not disagreeing with you as to how dangerous it could be to strike the area in question, I find it funny that Earl Montague seems to make it his mission in life to tell us how dangerous it is for G. Dillman to attack these areas in his demos, but then does exactly the same strikes on his students on his tapes.

Now if he considers it ok to do to his students, then wouldn't it be acceptable for us to do these strikes on an aggressor that appears to be in tip top condition?

--Dave

funny, i've never been attacked by a "fit" person. drunks, addicts, lowlife gangster wannabe's -scum aren't spending their time in the gym building the perfect body so they can hit you with it--- but that aside-- it's irrelevant to the point-- fit or not- they don't call these places vital points without good reason;) --

as to what Dillman and Montaigue do for demo's is a great question- perhaps Doc want's to address these demo's- i recall a Ripley's B.I.O. Not show where a TKD man who claimed to be an expert in Dim Mak- showed how he could K.O. a half dozen people easily-- they had a doctor and medic team to examine the patients- it was actually a lame demo from a MA perspective (you know, the one waits for the other to attack before his "turn") but he did get the medics to validate that he could K.O. a guy by striking points on the arm alone-- now what was particularly interesting was the palbable disgust the doctor and medics had for the demo-- the doctor kind of figured that you hit guys on the head or with combos to the body and head etc-- that you could cause unconsciousness- the doctors and medics both contradicted the man's claims of harmless effect because of rescucitation teks based on simply rubbing the spine and back of the head-- that a state of complete unconciousness is extremely dangerous is a big "ya think?" in the medical community but Dim Mak sales folks keep trying to make it seem like it's simply "sleeping" and no harm is being done.

Dillman's vids shows him clearly smacking people in the head with great force -- it's almost a laughable matter when you think about it-- ask any pooloka boxer to hit you in the head while you just stand there and see if they don't bring the smelling salts out quick. the shockwave alone is enough to put someone out without bringing the points into any necessary play.

I've read Montaigue and he seems more rational in his approach but i didn't know that he's KOing people as well.-- frankly- it's a seriously dangerous practice and i don't need some one to prove that they can hit me in the head with good force to KO me-- specially when i merely standing there with a big grin on my face and "kick me" sign stuck on my back.:rofl:

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a question.

If Dillman style Dim Mak works so well, Why don't I see it in full contact fighting?

As to Doc's sublevel 4, It seems to be much more complicated and better based in practical martial arts, and Mr Parker certainly seemed intrigued enough by it to pursue it with Doc Chapel. So I am still intrigued and plan to learn more.

Jeff

L

lonekimono

sorry it's always been there, just have to know what it is
but it's always been there,
i'm sorry doc:( but i have to say i leaned about this back in the late 70's and have been keeping it going in my school.:asian:

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by jazkiljok
funny, i've never been attacked by a "fit" person. drunks, addicts, lowlife gangster wannabe's -scum aren't spending their time in the gym building the perfect body so they can hit you with it--- but that aside-- it's irrelevant to the point-- fit or not- they don't call these places vital points without good reason;) --

as to what Dillman and Montaigue do for demo's is a great question- perhaps Doc want's to address these demo's- i recall a Ripley's B.I.O. Not show where a TKD man who claimed to be an expert in Dim Mak- showed how he could K.O. a half dozen people easily-- they had a doctor and medic team to examine the patients- it was actually a lame demo from a MA perspective (you know, the one waits for the other to attack before his "turn") but he did get the medics to validate that he could K.O. a guy by striking points on the arm alone-- now what was particularly interesting was the palbable disgust the doctor and medics had for the demo-- the doctor kind of figured that you hit guys on the head or with combos to the body and head etc-- that you could cause unconsciousness- the doctors and medics both contradicted the man's claims of harmless effect because of rescucitation teks based on simply rubbing the spine and back of the head-- that a state of complete unconciousness is extremely dangerous is a big "ya think?" in the medical community but Dim Mak sales folks keep trying to make it seem like it's simply "sleeping" and no harm is being done.

Dillman's vids shows him clearly smacking people in the head with great force -- it's almost a laughable matter when you think about it-- ask any pooloka boxer to hit you in the head while you just stand there and see if they don't bring the smelling salts out quick. the shockwave alone is enough to put someone out without bringing the points into any necessary play.

I've read Montaigue and he seems more rational in his approach but i didn't know that he's KOing people as well.-- frankly- it's a seriously dangerous practice and i don't need some one to prove that they can hit me in the head with good force to KO me-- specially when i merely standing there with a big grin on my face and "kick me" sign stuck on my back.:rofl:

I saw the Ripley thing and they kinda slipped one by us. What they did first is have the guy "knockout" a guy by himself previous to the demo to prove he could do it. Then the paramedics and doctors verified it. When he did the demo, which was pretty hokey actually, all of these people went down but his own people resuscitated them quickly without the paramedics. Most of the movements he performed in the demo wouldn't work singularly as demonstrated.

Any form of unconciousness, however induced, is dangerous. Period. When it is induced by blunt force trauma, the danger rises significantly.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Dillman. He is very knowledgeable in the theory and point locations. However I do not believe in these "hard strikes" to prove a point in a demo and neither did Ed Parker..

I also have respect for Eric but I see him as someone who went straight to being a "scholar" without much experience as a "warrior." He is indeed knowledgeable of the information.

What is interesting is what I have not heard from people that I know is necessary to be functional in the right environment.

I have induced what we call PMD or "Physical & Mental Disassociation." JB felt it when he came out, and although it is disconcerting, it doesn't hurt and it's only a "tap." What it does is make you virtually defenseless. Some people fall down, (like my famous Vagas Camp demo) others become unsteady on their feet, and still others just stand there like zombies for 10 seconds.

Unconciousness can be induced with harder strikes, but I won't do them, because it doesn't prove anything. Anybody can knock somebody out if they stand there and allow it to happen.

It is more important to be able to do these things within the context of your techniques, and that is somewhat more complicated, and requires additional specific information and yes, skills. Many are surprized when they meet me that I don't talk about points. Instead I focus on proper body mechanics. One without the other is virtually useless, but if the mechanics are there, then you're on your way.

Most who do these things learn it from the Okinawan perspective which draws its "bunkai" from kata. There is a huge misconception that kata contains the applications, but in reality the kata is an "index of certain information," but not the applications of that information. Old school Chinese will tell you that. As I was taught, "Dim Mak" is basically the Five Elemental Theory, and point locations. How you use it was never taught to the Okinawans.

Although this information is a integral part of SubLevel Kenpo, (and gets the most interest) most have no idea how important the body mechanics are. I never seen anyone who had the body mechanics necessary to execute the information properly within the context of techniques as we use them. Parker was a sly genius who had more knowledge than most have ever seen or know about from his written works.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
I saw the Ripley thing and they kinda slipped one by us. What they did first is have the guy "knockout" a guy by himself previous to the demo to prove he could do it. Then the paramedics and doctors verified it. When he did the demo, which was pretty hokey actually, all of these people went down but his own people resuscitated them quickly without the paramedics. Most of the movements he performed in the demo wouldn't work singularly as demonstrated.

Any form of unconciousness, however induced, is dangerous. Period. When it is induced by blunt force trauma, the danger rises significantly.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Dillman. He is very knowledgeable in the theory and point locations. However I do not believe in these "hard strikes" to prove a point in a demo and neither did Ed Parker..

I also have respect for Eric but I see him as someone who went straight to being a "scholar" without much experience as a "warrior." He is indeed knowledgeable of the information.

What is interesting is what I have not heard from people that I know is necessary to be functional in the right environment.

I have induced what we call PMD or "Physical & Mental Disassociation." JB felt it when he came out, and although it is disconcerting, it doesn't hurt and it's only a "tap." What it does is make you virtually defenseless. Some people fall down, (like my famous Vagas Camp demo) others become unsteady on their feet, and still others just stand there like zombies for 10 seconds.

Unconciousness can be induced with harder strikes, but I won't do them, because it doesn't prove anything. Anybody can knock somebody out if they stand there and allow it to happen.

It is more important to be able to do these things within the context of your techniques, and that is somewhat more complicated, and requires additional specific information and yes, skills. Many are surprized when they meet me that I don't talk about points. Instead I focus on proper body mechanics. One without the other is virtually useless, but if the mechanics are there, then you're on your way.

Most who do these things learn it from the Okinawan perspective which draws its "bunkai" from kata. There is a huge misconception that kata contains the applications, but in reality the kata is an "index of certain information," but not the applications of that information. Old school Chinese will tell you that. As I was taught, "Dim Mak" is basically the Five Elemental Theory, and point locations. How you use it was never taught to the Okinawans.

Although this information is a integral part of SubLevel Kenpo, (and gets the most interest) most have no idea how important the body mechanics are. I never seen anyone who had the body mechanics necessary to execute the information properly within the context of techniques as we use them. Parker was a sly genius who had more knowledge than most have ever seen or know about from his written works.

Whilst I would agree with Doc, that any KO is dangerous, sometimes they would be the least dangerous option. As to the "taps", I have been fortunate and honoured enough to be my instructors uke when he demonstrates the pressure point applications of kata or drills.
Most of the time I just get tapped, and this is well enough to stop me cold. PMD, Doc would have to be the best description I have heard for what happens to you when struck.
My instructor got his original pressure point instruction from Mr. D. but has since gone on to study with different people from all over the world, not just at seminars either. He is also the only Ryukyu Kempo instructor, I have seen or heard of that doesn't do static taps. Like Doc says, body mechanics is an integral part of correct and effective point striking. If I stand still and just let my instructor hit me then he would need a different technique to if I was coming in trying to take his head off. It's kind of like trying to block the punch from a novice that goes either left or right instead of straight at you. The mechanics are wrong, and it is just wasted motion.

--Dave

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whilst I would agree with Doc, that any KO is dangerous, sometimes they would be the least dangerous option. As to the "taps", I have been fortunate and honoured enough to be my instructors uke when he demonstrates the pressure point applications of kata or drills.
Most of the time I just get tapped, and this is well enough to stop me cold. PMD, Doc would have to be the best description I have heard for what happens to you when struck.
My instructor got his original pressure point instruction from Mr. D. but has since gone on to study with different people from all over the world, not just at seminars either. He is also the only Ryukyu Kempo instructor, I have seen or heard of that doesn't do static taps. Like Doc says, body mechanics is an integral part of correct and effective point striking. If I stand still and just let my instructor hit me then he would need a different technique to if I was coming in trying to take his head off. It's kind of like trying to block the punch from a novice that goes either left or right instead of straight at you. The mechanics are wrong, and it is just wasted motion.

--Dave

Right on and good for you.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
I found the magazine, bought it and I will make some comments and ask a couple of questions..

First let me say that they put together a nice spread for you..and it was good to see some of the guys I've actually met (i.e. Mr. Perez and Doc Murdock) and to see others still at it..(is Sandep Rahi the guy that was a Blue belt testing in that vid you sent my yrs ago..if so he would have been the last in line and had Mr. Humphrey (the front of the line) as his uki...). Anyway, good to see them all the same.

First question..pg 48. 5th paragraph..."...and subsequent improvements." It seems to me that you have "improved" on the base standard the SGM Parker taught you to a great degree. Many of the concepts you speak of now weren't even "defined" in the material we discussed 4 yrs ago (i.e. Negative Body Posture, Timing & Breathing Signatures, etc...) and the execution of techniques seem to have "evolved" for lack of a better word. Heck, you even added at least one technique on the yellow chart and this is not including the long gun stuff you've incorporated or your CMA's. So my question is in the last 13 yrs just how much has changed in the way Dr. Ron Chape'l executes the Kenpo SGM Parker showed him. Are you quickly (or slowly) reaching the point where you've extrapolated more from your SL-4 equation formula and the Keys you were given, than what you were originally shown? Are YOU now doing only 10% or what SGM Parker originally taught you?

on Pg 50, last paragraph before, "Psychology of Confrontation". "by definition, control manipulation is not a part of Motion Kenpo and is not included in the four ranges of combat as found in Ed Parker's "Encyclopedia of Kenpo".

Edmund mentions on viii of EOK "the terminology....is not cast in cement". But control manipulation is defined on pg 33 along with control release mechanisms and control mainenance. Doesn't this refer to aspects within Kenpo (MK in fact)? It seemed to me that if SGM Parker were referring to another art he might have said, "a term used in..." as with some of the other definitions.

In the "level's" mentioned where do you CMA's come into play?

At what point are "enhancements" accepted into the curriculum on a technique? or a "definition" accepted as law? Do you have the first, last and only say? Have others contributed in the development of SL-4 principles and concepts (particularly Perez or Angell since I know they are your two main bangers), can you give an example?

Fourth, Have you put together a succession plan? Do you think the strict educational based model allows for the longevity of SL-4 existence? And will the boys be able to carry the torch the way you have when you step down from active duty? Are any of the guys looking at expanding into their own schools? Is that encouraged?

jb :asian:

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
First let me say that they put together a nice spread for you..and it was good to see some of the guys I've actually met (i.e. Mr. Perez and Doc Murdock) and to see others still at it..(is Sandep Rahi the guy that was a Blue belt testing in that vid you sent my yrs ago..if so he would have been the last in line and had Mr. Humphrey (the front of the line) as his uki...). Anyway, good to see them all the same.
Yeah, I seem to have a problem getting rid of guys. I have never lost a student to another teacher. Some get caught up in life, job, family and slow down, but they come back or not at all with anyone. I’m shooting the next installment for the magazine this week. It will be an anti-grappling piece.
First question..pg 48. 5th paragraph..."...and subsequent improvements." It seems to me that you have "improved" on the base standard the SGM Parker taught you to a great degree.
Well actually I have done a great deal of work the last 13 years since Mr. Parker passed. When he was alive, I wasn’t writing as much because in many ways he hadn’t decided what he wanted exactly. Lots of experimentation on his part.
Many of the concepts you speak of now weren't even "defined" in the material we discussed 4 yrs ago (i.e. Negative Body Posture, Timing & Breathing Signatures, etc...)
Much of it was in my own notes and ideas and had not yet implemented. but you must also remember Parker and I studied with some of the same Chinese masters, although not at the same time.
and the execution of techniques seem to have "evolved" for lack of a better word.
The problem is the same one Parker had. You cannot evolve a curriculum if you don’t have Black Belts that know and can support it. I hold back material until I have enough guys that understand and can teach it, so the support system has to be in place if it is to survive. That’s why expansion is slow. You can’t just certify someone unless they really know what they are doing. Otherwise, I’m just doing what everyone else is doing from a commercial perspective. Parker had the same problem.
Heck, you even added at least one technique on the yellow chart
Actually I’ve added 6 to even the charts out and to address some things I felt were necessary at that level.
and this is not including the long gun stuff you've incorporated or your CMA's.
Yeah I forgot I shared some of that with you. The long gun techniques were absolutely necessary and needed to be addressed. Shot Guns and rifles are probably more common in some areas than handguns. For the record I saw Ed Parker teach long gun techniques to white belts 30 years ago so it‘s not my original idea, but something we knew we needed to address for our law enforcement projects.
So my question is in the last 13 yrs just how much has changed in the way Dr. Ron Chape'l executes the Kenpo SGM Parker showed him.
Well to be honest the way I execute hasn’t changed much. My students look at video of me from 15 years ago and see the same thing (just a tad thinner) in my execution. But if you go back to the mid-seventies I see a difference.

What has changed substantially is what I teach and when I teach it. My current staff is learning thing now that my beginners will learn next month. They complain all the time that I “change” things. The same complaint some had about Parker. But like I said previously I just find ways to codify what I do, and then it can be taught specifically and the staff can support the instruction. If you stay away from me for a year, you’ll be surprised when you come back.
Are you quickly (or slowly) reaching the point where you've extrapolated more from your SL-4 equation formula and the Keys you were given, than what you were originally shown?
I know what you mean but there is no “equation formula” in a strict curriculum, and there really are no “master keys” either. It’s just coming to an understanding of certain information and applying it in a functional manner. Than you have to figure out how, and when to convey it to your students. Then you have to codify the curriculum so it makes sense and put it in a course book at the appropriate level. You really begin to appreciate it when you don’t have the “Old Man” to go to and say “Hey Boss, remember what we worked on yesterday. How did that go again, my notes don’t make sense to me. Fortunately he taught me how to “think” and he placed a great emphasis on extrapolation. But remember some things I couldn’t ask him when he was here because he wasn’t sure what he wanted himself sometimes.
Are YOU now doing only 10% or what SGM Parker originally taught you?
Honestly I’m probably doing more than he taught me physically, but that’s because I now understand what I’m doing. Intellectually I’m still working on it and a lot I’ve created based on what he gave me. So I always give him the credit. Some would like me to take more credit for what I’ve done but without him it would have never happened. He’ll always be the man.
on Pg 50, last paragraph before, "Psychology of Confrontation". "by definition, control manipulation is not a part of Motion Kenpo and is not included in the four ranges of combat as found in Ed Parker's "Encyclopedia of Kenpo".
Yes that’s true. He purposely excluded it from the four (4) ranges he defined for the motion commercial version of his art. Eeryone knows there is so much missing from the commercial art by necessity.
Edmund mentions on viii of EOK "the terminology....is not cast in cement".
Absolutely. Parker was adding, and dropping stuff all the time. But more important he had very specific guidelines for creating “terms.”
But control manipulation is defined on pg 33
Yeah that’s why I always ask people why isn’t it in the four ranges? Good question.
along with control release mechanisms and control mainenance. Doesn't this refer to aspects within Kenpo (MK in fact)?
Actually yes, and no. Can they be there? Yes. Are they there? Not that I’ve seen. But there are a lot I haven’t seen. I just don’t think so knowing where many of the modern guys come from. But then it can all boil down to semantics. I’ve had a couple guys tell me they’ve been doing SubLevel Four for 15 years, or their instructor teaches it. Of course I know that’s impossible.
It seemed to me that if SGM Parker were referring to another art he might have said, "a term used in..." as with some of the other definitions.
Well that’s the point that bothers everyone, and you're right. What I do is not a separate art. When you came into town you recognized just about everything we did. I do what Ed Parker did, not what he generally taught. It’s fairly documented that he did a lot of stuff that his students couldn’t understand or do. I always mention the “slap-check.” He never wrote a single word about it, but clear as day you see him doing it. In his last manuals he wrote “positional check.” He never did that unless he was teaching a seminar and going slow. When he speeded up he couldn’t help himself. My students are taught “slap-checks” and know when and where and why, and where not as well. There are a couple guys that mimicked Parker but they can’t tell you why they do it or what it does, or why it can be dangerous if you do it wrong.
In the "level's" mentioned where do you CMA's come into play?
That is actually the fourth level where a student is compelled to learn “Control Manipulation” for about 80% OF ALL previously learned techniques. The techniques still contain all the misalignment technology as well as the nerves activations, but you must manipulate, and control the situation completely to a stand still. Physically it is the most demanding level and isn’t introduced (beyond attacks) until after Black. It truly is the higher form of the science.
At what point are "enhancements" accepted into the curriculum on a technique? or a "definition" accepted as law? Do you have the first, last and only say?
The techniques are heavily “enhanced” as is. It’s just a matter of how much you teach. Once something fits into place, I include it in our Glossary. Thee is no such thing as "basics." Only a basic understanding.
Have others contributed in the development of SL-4 principles and concepts (particularly Perez or Angell since I know they are your two main bangers), can you give an example?
I get suggestions from Perez and Angell because they understand it the best. Some are good some not. I have the last word, because I’m the only one that knows where I’m going and how it might “fit’ with other concepts. Terminology must make sense and cannot be subjectively inappropriate. Some create terms just to be different from Parker. Terminology should be descriptive of what you’re doing and have some basis in its reality.

I have had associates who look at what I have done and have made comments as well. People like my old friend Grandmaster Douglas Wong, or my late friend Dr. Bernd Weiss, or my old college room mate Senior Guru Cliff Stewart. Then there is (the late) Dominic and Helen Corrolo, etc. Jack Autry has sat on my tests, as well as Barbara Hale, and Steve Herring, and of course my student Dr. Lincoln Conti who is also on the tree first generation. (He actually met Parker about a year after I did). The consensus seems to be what we do is Kenpo the way the Old Man did it. But that is a luxury the commercial schools don’t have, and neither did he actually.
Fourth, Have you put together a succession plan? Do you think the strict educational based model allows for the longevity of SL-4 existence?
Burying me already eh? Yes I am consistently working on my succession plan, and I actually have got 2 Black Belts on my staff into school who will be doctors in a couple more years, who are enhancing their knowledge specifically to bring to my teaching. One of them is Angell. Yes it will survive, but never on the level as the commercial Kenpo. It’ll survive because It’s knowledge and skill driven. I know that’s what everybody says but you met me so you know what I mean.
And will the boys be able to carry the torch the way you have when you step down from active duty?
I suspect they will be in similar shape when I’m gone as I was when Parker left. But they know a lot more, and I’ve taught them how to think. I always tell my students to never believe me. Always question and ask for physical proof. Every generation is supposed to move forward beyond their teacher. I expect nothing less. I feel sorry for them if they have to deal with my daughters.
Are any of the guys looking at expanding into their own schools? Is that encouraged?
Are you kidding me? I can’t get those guys to miss class for a week. I’ve asked them to go out and start a small program somewhere, and they all say the same thing. “But we’ll miss your class.” The student body ages range from 20 to 62. All of them are extremely intelligent, professional people, and very well educated. No matter what I say, no matter how much I jump up and down, they refuse to leave. The four extension schools instructors are diligent about their classes as well. One flies in from Arizona once a month. I can’t get rid of him either.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc,

Thanks for the insight...You said a few things I've never seen you mention before.

jb :asian:

W

warriorsage

Is this what you "tapped" me with on my visit?

I never publicly thanked you for sharing your time, knowledge and materials with me during me visit. To any who are interested, you won't go wrong visiting the good doc. He was a most gracious host, and his studemts were well trained and working hard.

Sidebar: Doc, Did you receive my email from a month or so back? I never heard back from you. I still never found any info on water soluble decals, other than 8½"x11" sheets that you can buy for your own color printer. If you want the other type of decals, we will have a large-format digital printer in our shop within the next week or so, which can print any kind of decal, regardless of number of colors or detail. It can actually print photo-quality detail. Let me know if you need a sample or anything else.

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by warriorsage
Is this what you "tapped" me with on my visit?

Yes it was.
I never publicly thanked you for sharing your time, knowledge and materials with me during me visit. To any who are interested, you won't go wrong visiting the good doc. He was a most gracious host, and his studemts were well trained and working hard.
My pleasure. I always love talking with intelligent kenpo people. Thanks for the compliment on the students.
Sidebar: Doc, Did you receive my email from a month or so back?
No I didn't, I just figured you were real busy with your business.

I never heard back from you. I still never found any info on water soluble decals, other than 8½"x11" sheets that you can buy for your own color printer. If you want the other type of decals, we will have a large-format digital printer in our shop within the next week or so, which can print any kind of decal, regardless of number of colors or detail. It can actually print photo-quality detail. Let me know if you need a sample or anything else.
That's sounds good. I think we need to give them a try. I'm waiting for my graphics guy to make a change in the designs we have, then we can do some.

Thanks for everything. Hope to hear from you soon.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Please let me know what you think and bring the questions. I can take it.

It was a good article when I read it. However I only read it once and for me...well.....sometimes I need to read things a few times before getting the most of the article.

Personally I would have preferred to read more of what your SL-4 material is all about. You did say it was cut down then edited which would peeve me but what can you do.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc,

I might get a chance to see this magazine tonight.
What do you think of publishing your entire text here so we can compare it to the magazine?

It might answer Jason's question among other things.

I don't know if the magazine prohibits this or anything, but you could also publish it on your own site I think.

I think you have some unedited articles there. What do you think of publishing other "unedited" articles on your site after they have been in a magazine?

When I first saw "unedited" I thought you meant that you still had to run spell-check or something. :eek:

But do you mean that those articles on your site are what you turned in for publication to someone who later edited them for publication? What do you mean on your site by "unedited article?"

What do you think of this idea?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now I've had the chance to go back and read your article a couple three more times I'll start with my questions now:D .

1. When teaching your students a technique are you using the the standard base 154 techniques plus your extra 6 as your standard curriculum?

2. As far as the extra techniques you put into your curriculum are you covering them as grappling techniques? You answered Mr. Bugg with long range gun techs. but somewhere I thought you posted some grappling techniques within the sL-4 curriculum.

3. At level 4 you stated a confrontation comes to a controlled, conclusive end. Does this mean getting to Level 4 Delayed Sword doesn't end up as handsword to the side of the neck; where your curriculum does like an armbar or something at the end to gain complete control of the would be attacker?

4. Based upon the 24 tech. curriculum that Mr. Parker had worked with 2nd brown ended the new techs. from 1st brown on up they started the extensions to the lower belt material. Is this how you base the different level's as the student progresses within the curriculum they start refining at yellow then working on up? (If that question makes any sense.)

5. With your different variations on techniques and such do you still teach the forms and sets in your curriculum? If so have you changed footwork pattern, hand positioning etc.?

6. I have to assume the picture sequence on pg. 49 is your variation to Triggered Salute. As the attacker steps in with the front direct right shoulder push they step into a rear twist stance keeping the shoulders square. The next sequence was to push drag forward from the twist; why not unwind from the twist had the attacker really commited to the push. I feel the push-drag from that position would be uncomfortable and hard to execute. (I'm sure this is one of those things that has to be shown & felt to understand)

7. I'm kind of curious as to the technique sequence on page 50 is this Parting Wings in your curriculum?

8. Do your students have to study/follow/and identify the meridian points on the body during tests? Is this something you teach or something that must be taken in a college course or perhaps a little of both?

9. Why do you feel there is no tailoring done in SL-4? Certianly a guy my size at 5"7' @ 155lbs. can't possibly execute material the same way as someone your size. Bigger practictioners have more mass, and strength to help carry them through a technique. Whereas I need to alter weapons and such to ensure I have to make the technique work properly or change up.

I think that's it for now.

:asian: :asian:

OP
Doc

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall
Doc,

I might get a chance to see this magazine tonight.
What do you think of publishing your entire text here so we can compare it to the magazine?

It might answer Jason's question among other things.

I don't know if the magazine prohibits this or anything, but you could also publish it on your own site I think.

I think you have some unedited articles there. What do you think of publishing other "unedited" articles on your site after they have been in a magazine?

When I first saw "unedited" I thought you meant that you still had to run spell-check or something. :eek:

But do you mean that those articles on your site are what you turned in for publication to someone who later edited them for publication? What do you mean on your site by "unedited article?"

What do you think of this idea?

I will be publishing the articles on our new site when it is ready. Redesigned and no friggin "pop ups."

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Doc
I will be publishing the articles on our new site when it is ready. Redesigned and no friggin "pop ups."

Keep us updated :)

By the way Jason, there's some very good info in Doc's site about SubLevel-4. As I understood it, not relying on pain compliance makes the technique work no matter your size or mass.

But I also understood that there's some room to tailoring, by way of knowing meridians and working on them. Not just the same tailoring most are used to do. Have I understood it right?

Latest Discussions