Subject: Explanation of brass Monkey

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got this int he e-mail the other day. enjoy!

Subject: Explanation of brass Monkey

Betcha didn't know this!

In the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters carried iron cannons. Those cannons fired round iron cannon balls. It
was necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon, but how to prevent them from rolling about the deck?

The best storage method devised was a square based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four resting on nine which rested on sixteen. Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon.

There was only one problem...how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding or rolling from under the others.

The solution was a metal plate called a "Monkey" with 16 round indentations. But, if this plate was made of iron, the iron balls would quickly rust to it.

The solution to the rusting problem was to make "Brass Monkeys." Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled.

Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey.

Thus, it was quite literally, "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey". (And all this time, you thought that was an improper expression, didn't you?)

:rofl:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes I questioned that you had too much time on your hands. Now I question your friends having too much time on their hands.;) :rofl:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, I did know that. But, then, I'm a veritable cornucopia of absolutely useless trivia :)

Mike

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharp Phil
That whole story is completely fabricated.

http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/brass.htm

No Problem Sharp!

It is still a funny story in my opinion. I did say Enjoy ! :D

I also stated I just got it in e-mail. I did nothing for background. I would have posted under Humor, yet this is not Martial Arts therefore it does not fit that forum. So, it was posted here. :)

Thanks for he feedback.

J

Jill666

Originally posted by Sharp Phil
That whole story is completely fabricated.

Pooper. :shrug:

Anyone know why we "knock on wood"? I know what my grandfather told me, but I'm sure someone will tell me that's wrong too :p

Being Irish he believed in the "wee people". He said that mischeivous fairies lived in trees. If a human said something was going well within their hearing, they liked to mess up the works. To prevent the fairies from screwing up your luck, you would knock on wood while speaking of any good events in your life so they could not hear you.

He also left milk out for the wee people at night. He spoke Irish Gaelic- I wish he'd lived longer so I could have learned more of the language.

Latest Discussions