Styles of Naginatado?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know that there are no substyles of kendo. Is the same true of naginatado which is in many ways a very similar sport?

There are of course various styles of naginatajutsu:
Tendo Ryu Naginata-jutsu
Jiki-shinkage Ryu Naginata-jutsu
Toda-ha Buko Ryu Naginata-jutsu
Katori Shinto Ryu Naginata-jutsu
Higo Koryu Naginata-jutsu
(This information is from the same site as above.)

S

sundog1966

What I would like to find is a place to purchase the wooden version of the naginata. If anyone know of one let me know.

K

KoshoBob

We are bringing in a Naginata Sensei on April 27 for a seminar. Can't wait :D

S

sundog1966

I know crane mountain weapons is working on developing such a product. Judging by the quality of thier Bo staffs it will be well worth it. They also make excellent triple corded nunchaku.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kukishin ryu Happo Bikenjutsu also has Naginata/Bisento/Nagimaki.

I do believe that Naginata-do traditions are broken into different ryu. I was under the impression that kendo did the same often...but I don't really know.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jay Bell

I do believe that Naginata-do traditions are broken into different ryu. I was under the impression that kendo did the same often...but I don't really know.

I had thought there were differing schools of kenjutsu but not of kendo (or jukendo or judo). Of course there are differing schools of iaido but I thought the major sport arts held together as a single -do system. Of cousre some kendo competitors are actually students of a kenjutsu.

But I think you are more likely to be right in this regard than I, Mr. Bell!