Style v. System

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I thik this has been defined some where before and there was a good job done with defining each so if somebody would do that here that would be nice. I'm sure they could do a better job than me.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Style is what you develop as a technician.. how you move, the way you flow etc.
Whereas System is the Art you study.

My style in EPAK is totally my own. Yet I study the same system as others who train in EPAK.

Hope this helps :)

Tess

T

TonyM.

A sytem is what you fight with. A style is what you wear to the debutante ball.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A system covers all your bases (see eight considerations), and a style specializes in one or more of your chosen bases. Boxing is a style because it is target and maneuver oriented, while it negates the other concerns with rules and boundries. Kenpo is supposed to be a system but your attitude about it may reduce it to a style. In fact, you will find that most arts are focused on one concern or another. See if you can name the concern for which style: Kali = ******* Judo= ********* Escrima= ******* Tae Kwon Do=*******
Sean (www.iemat.com)

K

kenpo12

I like to compare it to a language. In english you take classes that tell you all the rules of the language. Puntuation, sentence structure, and so on. You take all of the words, and all of the rules and it's the system, but no two people write or speak the same way, that's thier style of english. You also have British english, Australian english, American english, and you have subsets off all of those mentioned. Those are all styles but they still fall under the big umbrella of the system.

That's the analogy I like to use. Hope that makes sense.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo12 said:
I like to compare it to a language. In english you take classes that tell you all the rules of the language. Puntuation, sentence structure, and so on. You take all of the words, and all of the rules and it's the system, but no two people write or speak the same way, that's thier style of english. You also have British english, Australian english, American english, and you have subsets off all of those mentioned. Those are all styles but they still fall under the big umbrella of the system.

That's the analogy I like to use. Hope that makes sense.
That would mean Iza dialectition.
Sean

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
The way I think of style and system is the style is the main art, system would
be a subgroup of that art: Style is Kenpo System is EPAK, Shaolin, NCK, etc
or Style is Kung Fu System is Chinese, Shaolin, Southern Praying Mantis.
That's just my way of thinking of it, others may see it differently.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
The way I think of style and system is the style is the main art, system would
be a subgroup of that art: Style is Kenpo System is EPAK, Shaolin, NCK, etc
or Style is Kung Fu System is Chinese, Shaolin, Southern Praying Mantis.
That's just my way of thinking of it, others may see it differently.
I suppose you could develop systems from styles to fill in the gaps. A little BJJ for your EPAK anyone? (hey Oldfatkenpoka, didn't see that one commin' did ya?)
Sean

C

c2kenpo

This might be even easier to understand.

Music is the same thing in writing no matter where you go or how you look at it across the world. A note is a note no different anywhere and everyone can see the same thing.

That is a SYSTEM.

Now name me some STYLES of music. :)

Dave

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
c2kenpo said:
This might be even easier to understand.

Music is the same thing in writing no matter where you go or how you look at it across the world. A note is a note no different anywhere and everyone can see the same thing.

That is a SYSTEM.

Now name me some STYLES of music. :)

Dave
Good point, and in keeping with one of EP's favorite analogies, language and the alphabet. The system is the 26-letter alphabet, and the semantic rules of syntax governing usage. Individual preferences make for linguistic style. (yeah, I know it's kinda been said...just had to put in my 2 cents).