Style Change

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first one I got to work was called "Jacket grab". We did the same basic type of wrist lock in kenpo as a defense for a two hand grab to the front but Aikido adds a control to the opponents elbow (bending the joint) and a lot more attention to detail on the hand that makes the lock so much more effective. I don't know if this is just a difference in instructors or styles but once I figured out the details I got a tap out of uke a lot faster than I ever did in kenpo. The school that I attend doesn't use a lot of the japanese names for the techniques (Sensei said that it tends to hender english only folks when learning). If I have one complaint at all about the school that would be it. I'll be looking on the internet for the japanese names as I learn the techniques.
The main detail that I've picked up so far that makes a lot of difference is control of the thumb when doing a hand grab instead of just the fingers and back of the hand. I never realized that having the thumb free could give the hand that much more mobility. I'll keep ya'll posted as I progress.

Yari, thanks for the interest you are showing. I noticed on your profile that you hold a shodan in aikido. What style do you study?
How is it different from Nihon Goshin? How long have you studied it?

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm really glad you've been enjoying Aikido, letch! :) Anything else you post about your future classes and what you're learning, I'll be interested to read. :)

Robyn :asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:asian: Yari,
I'm glad you asked that question. If you look at the Web of Knowledge you will find that position comes before Targets(by which I mean to deal with missle attacks) Jiujitsu helps a student master somthing that should in fact be a base. Aikido plays on a higher level of the web of Knowlege; it almost assumes a mastery of the previous levels. It is said that Aikido is an art reliant on a strong base in a previous art.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is said that Aikido is an art reliant on a strong base in a previous art.

Well, then, I should (and seem to be) fitting right in as I have a strong base in kenpo already.:D
The basics are drilled into kenpo practitioners from day one until the end and the NGA school that I attend works basic falls and rolls during the warm-up every class. I continue to train in kenpo with a couple of friends that attended the school with me so my base in that art will continue to be re-inforced.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
:asian: Yari,
Aikido plays on a higher level of the web of Knowlege; it almost assumes a mastery of the previous levels.

I would agree with you 60 %.

Mastery in another art will excell you rart and aikido much faster, and easier. But it's not nessecary.

But I would take it into consideration when deciding on what art to do.

/Yari

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by theletch1
I'll keep ya'll posted as I progress.

Yari, thanks for the interest you are showing. I noticed on your profile that you hold a shodan in aikido. What style do you study?
How is it different from Nihon Goshin? How long have you studied it?

Yes keep posting, I'd love to hear about your progress.

I've studied Kubiyashi, Kanesuka and now Nishio-sensei style. When talking about aikido it is commen to referr to the name of the teacher. But there are Aikido styles that dont referr to a teacher, like Nihon Goshin. I dont know Nihon Goshin, but from what I've heard it sounds pretty good.

/Yari

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
Yari,
common I know you have a 75% in you. I can feel it
sean

I will not comment on that ;) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

/Yari

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://nihongoshinaikido.com/history.htm

Here is a link to a page on the history of nihon goshin. I hope it will help familiarize you with the style as I am still too new to even attempt it. I've seen stated in several places that NGA is a stand alone style of aikido and not a derivitive of the aikido created by O' Sensei. If this is truly the case then we should have a lot of fun comparing and contrasting the two.

Last night I took advantage of the fact that there are two one hour classes on monday and wednesday night and took part in both of them before heading off to work. The best part is that te second class only had six students in it so I got plenty of one on one with Sensei McGraw to try to better grasp the techniques that I had worked on during the first class. We did 1)first wrist technique, 2) front wrist throw, 3) jacket grab, 4) arm bar. I can not believe the attention to detail in this style. First wrist technique just doesn't want to work if everything isn't done just right. I love it! We ran a round robin style of self defense drill last night. When my turn to be center man came round I goofed up and went strait into a kenpo tech with out thinking what I was doing. I guess it will take a while to reprogram my brain to work on two seperate levels of MA. Class again on wednesday night:D

Latest Discussions