Style bashing

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, your profile is limited, please tell us what your experience is.

I always find it a little funny when people start demanding background info on others and at the same time aren't even using their real name... This is a forum that allows anonymity, which means you have to debate the idea alone, not the person. It has it's ups and downs, but just like schools, their are all sorts of options on places to discuss martial arts that have different rules and cultures.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One point of view - You are bashing my style!

My point of view - it is harmful and fraudulent to instill in people a false sense of confidence based on nonfunctional BS that will and has gotten many people hurt or killed. It is my duty as a martial artist to dispel these myths wherever I find them.
If you go to a

- Judo forum and suggest that they should add no-gi wrestle,
- Taiji forum and suggest that they should add weight lifting,
- WC forum and suggest that they should add body rotation,
- SC forum and suggest that they should add ground game,

into their training, Some people may think that you like to discuss MA in general. Some people may think that you are "style basing".

If you are afraid to express your opinion, the internet is not for you.

Last edited:

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's an awful high horse. All I did was ask your background and experience. I do believe that part of the debate involves understanding the qualifications to "judge"...if the qualifications are not there, then why discuss further? If they are there, then a discussion can happen.

I am not going to debate the merits of quantum physics with my 1 year old granddaughter.

I always find it a little funny when people start demanding background info on others and at the same time aren't even using their real name... This is a forum that allows anonymity, which means you have to debate the idea alone, not the person. It has it's ups and downs, but just like schools, their are all sorts of options on places to discuss martial arts that have different rules and cultures.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are your qualifications for deciding what works and what doesn't? What if someone looking at you and what you do decides you are wrong and you are misleading students etc? Is an instructor who genuinely believes what he was taught works and so teaches his students a fraud then? Is someone who does a softer style than yours a hucksters because you don't think it works? How do you prove what others teach doesn't work?
As I said to him before he's a Kung fu guy. A lot of people will say Kung fu is ineffective and useless and full of frauds who can't fight so does he have the right to say anything about anyone else's style. It all becomes an ego game he can say my style sucks I can say his sucks. I can go tell someone do boxing not judo he could tell the same person do judo not boxing. There's to many arrogant people (the op included) who thinks they know what everyone needs to do with their life. In my eyes people can do what they want make their own mistakes if they are making mistakes and learn from them if need be that's life. If someone's enjoys a style that may or may not be effective what's that got to do with me who am I to spoil someone's enjoyment of something.

But as we've seen multiple times has a high opinion of himself

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One point of view - You are bashing my style!

My point of view - it is harmful and fraudulent to instill in people a false sense of confidence based on nonfunctional BS that will and has gotten many people hurt or killed. It is my duty as a martial artist to dispel these myths wherever I find them.

Depends on the style.If you look at this thread. They bashed it to death because it doesnt work.

Internal Power of Martial Arts (Breathing Technique)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, your profile is limited, please tell us what your experience is.
Boxing, kickboxing, kenpo black belt, Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu with a small amount of ishinryu, taekwondo and Kung fu (those ones are literally a few months of each so I don't count those as my main styles)

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That really doesn't tell anyone anything aside from the fact that you go to a lot of places. The amount of time you spent training in each, where at, etc. That is what is helpful. Who was your instructor...those are the things that will help others form a good picture.

Boxing, kickboxing, kenpo black belt, Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu with a small amount of ishinryu, taekwondo and Kung fu (those ones are literally a few months of each so I don't count those as my main styles)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That really doesn't tell anyone anything aside from the fact that you go to a lot of places. The amount of time you spent training in each, where at, etc. That is what is helpful. Who was your instructor...those are the things that will help others form a good picture.
Umm..why do I need to form a picture of myself you asked my styles I told you, you don't need my life story

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed I just answered the question of my styles and then told that's not enough information and I need to tell them how long I've trained and who ive trained with...um mind your own lol

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
HAHA!!! Headhunter agrees....that's funny!

Agreed I just answered the question of my styles and then told that's not enough information and I need to tell them how long I've trained and who ive trained with...um mind your own lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
HAHA!!! Headhunter agrees....that's funny!

image.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the other hand, when you have seen a clip like this and you are afraid to say anything, you are not only untruthful to yourself, you are not doing MA community any good either.

It starts to get more interest after 2.00.

Last edited: