Style bashing

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd amend that statement:. I would use it on the street to stay standing, or to stand back up if I cannot stay standing.

I will use it to beat up fools. But only then.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't find any BJJ clip that address in this area. Do you know any?
Here is a really basic introduction to the topic:

Here's another basic, getting out from the bottom of mount. Once the defender is on top, he can stand up and get free.

Here's something a little more advanced:

Drop bear's link above shows some super-advanced application of these principles. Admittedly, the fighters in his post probably learned most of that from wrestling rather than BJJ, but in my opinion any BJJ practitioner with a self-defense focus should be working on those same skills.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Here's another basic, getting out from the bottom of mount. Once the defender is on top, he can stand up and get free.

Here's something a little more advanced:

Drop bear's link above shows some super-advanced application of these principles. Admittedly, the fighters in his post probably learned most of that from wrestling rather than BJJ, but in my opinion any BJJ practitioner with a self-defense focus should be working on those same skills.

Learning wrestling only helps your BJJ though.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for showing those clips. I'm more interested in "human bouncing ball" approach that you can get back up on your feet in fast speed.

For example in the following clip at 0.19, 0.23, 0.26, ....

In this short clip, he uses

- a right outside crescent kick, followed by
- a left inside crescent kick.
- rotate his body to his right, and then
- bounce back up on his feet.

It's my favor move. The reason is simple. Those 2 kicks can force your opponent to move back before you get back up.

This clip, he bounced back up without using hand.

This clip, he used his hand to help him to bounce back up.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Learning wrestling only helps your BJJ though.
I haven't tried BJJ, but I know a few former collegiate wrestlers who made the switch. Wrestling has some ingrained habits that are counterproductive in BJJ. Going to your stomach is a seriously bad habit and can be hard to change/unlearn.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't tried BJJ, but I know a few former collegiate wrestlers who made the switch. Wrestling has some ingrained habits that are counterproductive in BJJ. Going to your stomach is a seriously bad habit and can be hard to change/unlearn.
Having a wrestling background is about 95% helpful with about 5% unhelpful habits which have to be changed. It's a lot quicker and easier to change those habits than it is to develop the positive skills and attributes which wrestling can give you.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having a wrestling background is about 95% helpful with about 5% unhelpful habits which have to be changed. It's a lot quicker and easier to change those habits than it is to develop the positive skills and attributes which wrestling can give you.
Absolutely. I just remember a friend/coworker who was relatively getting started in BJJ. He was a Div 1 wrestler, started when he was about 5 years old (he grew up in Iowa, so he started late :) ), and wrestled in clubs for a while afterwards.

We had a lot of great conversations about it. He got very frustrated about 3 months in. He started working with higher (than him) ranked guys and was constantly getting choked and tapped because of his wrestling habits. A memorable line was "it's pretty hard breaking a habit I spent 25 years trying to perfect (staying off your back). He a a good 2-3 month period of struggling with it. He caught on quick, but his competitive (with himself) nature drove him crazy. He adapted the hard way.

A few of his wrestling club buddies that I knew through him all said they had the same issue, but they weren't as hard on themselves about it.

Edit: It was the 5% that got him caught by guys with more experience than him. But he was able to hang with those guys far better/longer than other newbies without any wrestling experience.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
One point of view - You are bashing my style!

My point of view - it is harmful and fraudulent to instill in people a false sense of confidence based on nonfunctional BS that will and has gotten many people hurt or killed. It is my duty as a martial artist to dispel these myths wherever I find them.

I believe that it's one thing to have an opinion & another trying to change the destiny of an individual. In trying to persuade them, you may not realise it, but you're trying to influence their sense of self, & by doing that, you take away their free will.

Yes, a lot of the time people make unwise choices. All you can really do is raise your opinion if you disagree, but it ends there.

You can take a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink the water. People learn best from their own mistakes, not from the mistakes of others. If they're wise, they might listen, if not, give them the freedom to make mistakes. They are human after all.

If they made no mistakes, they would never learn, grow, or value anything.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Better for standing up than the back. Sorta, kinda.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Better for standing up than the back. Sorta, kinda.
I see where you're going with that. I agree.

Turning to your stomach while your opponent is throwing you and maintaining control is a great skill to have in wrestling. In BJJ, that'll get you choked out pretty easily.

Is there realistically ever a good time to be in "referee's position" in BJJ?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see where you're going with that. I agree.

Turning to your stomach while your opponent is throwing you and maintaining control is a great skill to have in wrestling. In BJJ, that'll get you choked out pretty easily.

Is there realistically ever a good time to be in "referee's position" in BJJ?
Not really. Sometimes if you are transitioning in to turtle.

Quite often you can choose between going in to turtle. Or re guarding from your back. With punches involved because they suck and they come fast you generally don't want to be inactive off your back.

There are rules of BJJ you can break for MMA. So for example if I am in guard I pretty much have to pass it to get you in a submission. So re guarding is super high priority and super safe.

I don't have to pass your guard to hit you. So it becomes less safe and potentially exposing my back to a choke becomes more safe

Now having said that if they are in turtle. I don't need to muck around taking someone's back to then go for a submission. I just punch them in turtle.

And with all of these concepts is the idea if they are wrestling you for position. They are not hitting you.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions