Stupid question number 1.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to be seriously hurt -- defined as broken limbs, head injuries, knee injuries... Yes. Absolutely.

Is it LIKELY to be seriously hurt? Hopefully, no. In a good school, the staff and instructors will maintain a safe environment where the students aren't likely to be seriously injured. Things can always go wrong -- but there are steps and procedures that make them unlikely. Think about auto racing; is serious injury possible? Hell yes! But with the safety belts, vehicle requirements, rescue teams, and so on at a race, it's not very likely. It's much the same with martial arts training.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, this seems reasonable. I used to play rugby at school, there has been a lot of stuff about concussion in rugby in the press in recent years but I never saw any when I played, you know it happens but you rarely see it. I guess the same logic would apply here?
More or less, though if you're sparring and competing with any force to the head, you're actively trying to give a concussion, so it's a bit more likely. If, for instance, you compete where knock-outs are part of the competition, those are concussions.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never got knocked out in over 20 years of TKD... I think I was saving up for when I switched mid-stream over to Muay Thai for the full-contact aspect....

Getting knocked out is no big deal, as long as you try to avoid having it happen more than once a year or so (I've been knocked out 2x and choked out 3x). It "feels" worse to be choked out than knocked out... you an feel the choke coming on. Ack. Literally.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
there are lot of tkd knockouts due to a crappy guard (at least the wtf/"olympic" style) which also could cause broken jaws.
a german athlete couldn't participate on this olympics at rio because of a serious eye injury from a match which had to be fixed by surgery to save his eyesight. i wouldn't underestimate it.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is it LIKELY to be seriously hurt? Hopefully, no.

More or less, though if you're sparring and competing with any force to the head, you're actively trying to give a concussion, so it's a bit more likely. If, for instance, you compete where knock-outs are part of the competition, those are concussions.

Ok, this all makes sense.

I never got knocked out in over 20 years of TKD... I think I was saving up for when I switched mid-stream over to Muay Thai for the full-contact aspect....

Getting knocked out is no big deal, as long as you try to avoid having it happen more than once a year or so (I've been knocked out 2x and choked out 3x). It "feels" worse to be choked out than knocked out... you an feel the choke coming on. Ack. Literally.

Being choked out sounds absolutely horrendous.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being choked out sounds absolutely horrendous.

No it's fine, one minute you're awake two seconds later you're asleep. It will depend on whether it's a 'blood' choke' where the blood flow is interrupted so it's like a faint or a 'throat' type choke where your breathing is affected. Blood chokes should be done so they come on in seconds hence the need for a very quick and good defence.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never was one for singing. I have a season ticket at the Leicester Tigers and I'm quiet all through the game even now. I'm not sure how rugby songs would go down in a TKD environment. :D Seems somewhat inappropriate.
So you are not a Leicester City fan?? Possibly for the best this season! :)

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
there are lot of tkd knockouts due to a crappy guard (at least the wtf/"olympic" style) which also could cause broken jaws.
a german athlete couldn't participate on this olympics at rio because of a serious eye injury from a match which had to be fixed by surgery to save his eyesight. i wouldn't underestimate it.

So what's the difference between different guards?

No it's fine, one minute you're awake two seconds later you're asleep.

Like me after a night down the pub then. :D

So you are not a Leicester City fan??

Not into football so much. Rugby and cricket are my favourites. :) I live near to the ground and have been to a few games though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just for a weird bit of trivia. Had a mate knocked out by a body kick the other day.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what's the difference between different guards?

Like me after a night down the pub then. :D

Not into football so much. Rugby and cricket are my favourites. :) I live near to the ground and have been to a few games though.
The most important thing about the guard, is that your hands are up, and ready for action. With TKD, they tend to ignore the guard, at first, so, they can focus on kicking. It is their bread and butter. People expect it.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The most important thing about the guard, is that your hands are up, and ready for action. With TKD, they tend to ignore the guard, at first, so, they can focus on kicking. It is their bread and butter. People expect it.

I see. So you can't guard and kick properly at the same time?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see. So you can't guard and kick properly at the same time?
Yeah, you can, but, the TKD powers that be, tend to focus on just the kicks, and add the guard later; because, you are splitting your focus. In real life, and competition, you have to focus on a lot of things. TKD provides a safe environment so you can work on them one a time.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. Body spazzed out due to the shock. And the guy went to sleep.
This would happen occasionally when I was Thai-boxing. In the gym, when guys were sparring and going pretty hard, someone would time a good shin, or a knee, right into the lower ribs of their opponent - who would go right down. They'd be out for a bit, too... just as if they'd been head-shocked. There was a E.R. trauma nurse working out with us at the time who apparently asked a doc about it and the doc told him it had to do with all the blood flow and pressure regulation that takes place in/around the liver. Knowing how much blood flows through that area each second, it sounds plausible. Like attacking the carotid sinus, you cause the body's blood pressure system to attempt to reset, which briefly crashes the blood pressure, resulting in brain reboot.

OP
Rabbitthekitten

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This would happen occasionally when I was Thai-boxing. In the gym, when guys were sparring and going pretty hard, someone would time a good shin, or a knee, right into the lower ribs of their opponent - who would go right down. They'd be out for a bit, too... just as if they'd been head-shocked. There was a E.R. trauma nurse working out with us at the time who apparently asked a doc about it and the doc told him it had to do with all the blood flow and pressure regulation that takes place in/around the liver. Knowing how much blood flows through that area each second, it sounds plausible. Like attacking the carotid sinus, you cause the body's blood pressure system to attempt to reset, which briefly crashes the blood pressure, resulting in brain reboot.

This also sounds horrific. :D